AI Mosquitos Won't Launch Rockets

lennycutler

I have repeated attempts to have my Flight attack an object, first as an Anti-Ship attack....(Ship).....and also as a  primary objective.  In each case the AI will drop their bombs, but although they run in to attack with their remaining weapons they do not release their rockets....even when specifically requested to engage with Rockets.

I suspect the AI programming has not be completed to enable their use of their new rocket capability.

Velocity MicroI7-4790 Windows 7 Home Premium 16Gigs RAM EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070 500GB SSD TM Hotas Warthog

Okay, so I was having a similar issue, whereby the AI will perform attack run after attack run, but never actually fire any rockets, but I've managed to get around it.

Here's what I did:

1. Ensure the task is set to CAS/Anti-Ship
  2. Make sure there's a 'Search then Engage' task (under 'Start Enroute Task') to engage the group you want to target (in my example, I've used 'Search then Engage Group', and make sure the 'weapon' is set to rockets (if you want them to also engage with guns or bombs, you can simply clone the task and set the weapon type as desired). In my example I also used the 'Attack Group' task (under 'Perform Task'), with the same settings.
  3. Make sure override AI attack avoidance is set to on

Et voila, AI Mosquitoes now engage with rockets.

There's still something wrong with them though, as they should just attack with rockets when ordered to do so, and not just perform attack run after attack run without actually firing anything.

Also to note that the missions require the WWII asset pack, and I also delete the auto-generated tasks (including the CAS and anti-ship enroute tasks).

EDIT: added an anti-ship strike version, seems to work, but they don't engage with guns. They will sometimes not fire rockets when they're under fire.

Spoiler

Though in this instance, while both 1 and 2 engaged with rockets, only 2 kept engaging with guns, 1 kept performing attack runs without actually firing on anything.

AI Mosquito rocket example.miz AI_Mosquito_rocket_attack.trk

AI_Mosquito_rocket_attack_(anti-ship).trk AI Mosquito rocket example (anti-ship).miz

Edited by Northstar98
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• ED Team

So I checked the CAS mission, I set it to Auto, and I did notice some issues with rocket usage. I moved the waypoint that the Attack Group action was on, farther away from the group, and it seemed much better, both aircraft attacked with rockets. Now the number of rockets fired from each aircraft seemed weird to me, and I will be looking at that, but setting to auto seemed fine for rocket usage. 

Try pushing the task a little farther away from the group and see if that helps, I know its the same with bombing, that you need to give the AI enough time to think.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 10:37 PM, NineLine said:

So I checked the CAS mission, I set it to Auto, and I did notice some issues with rocket usage. I moved the waypoint that the Attack Group action was on, farther away from the group, and it seemed much better, both aircraft attacked with rockets. Now the number of rockets fired from each aircraft seemed weird to me, and I will be looking at that, but setting to auto seemed fine for rocket usage. 

Try pushing the task a little farther away from the group and see if that helps, I know its the same with bombing, that you need to give the AI enough time to think.

I think I used rockets to ensure they would engage with them, instead of the cannon.

Though if they engage with rockets just fine with auto and then use cannon, then the weapon type stuff in my 2nd step can be ignored (unless of course you want specific quantities).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...

When engaging ships, has anyone noticed they dive as if to employ rockets yet never fire them, repeating the same attack run over and over coming off dry each time? I have them set to Anti-ship, they have bombs in the bay and rockets on the wings. They are set to attack a specific group, which they do with bombs. After delivering bombs they go into a rocket/strafe dive but fire neither rockets nor guns. Repeat until they get shot up by the enemy.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I know it was said in one of the recent patch release notes that this was fixed. It wasn't.

It's still broken.

As stated above the AI Mossies, even when programmed (well before the aircraft were near their targets) to attack specific ships with rockets, make repeated passes but don't fire. Their rockets are still hanging from their wings.

This is true even when Enroute Task Search Then Engage with Rockets is used as Northstar suggested above.

Impossible to make Banff Strike Wing missions in which 25-pound RP3 rockets firing on ships were the primary Mossie weapon.

Please fix this. ASAP.

Edited by HotTom
  • Thanks 1

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

Thank you, Sunts!

As you said, it works fine on the Caucuses Map, but...

When I tried a similar mission on the South Atlantic (Falklands) map, it went into its "Dive on the Target but Don't Pull the Trigger" routine.

Maybe this is a problem peculiar to the Third Party map?

Mossie RP3 South Atlantic test.miz

Edited by HotTom

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...