HMD performance.. or help

Gogojuice

I'm having one hell of a time locking people up with the hmd.   Compared to the 16 which seems to lock right away from me.

I hope I explain this right...

If I am using it at long distance (35) I can lock someone up.  However as they get closer, or I lock another person after disengaging the first, it seems it will not lock on the second.  I can stare right at the plane and it wont lock.  Could it be related to a radar setting?

Kinds stuck.. Anyone else having issues with the HMD locking on the icons? 

Since you don't have issues with LACQ, we'll focus on HACQ.  Within 10nm and within radar gimbal limits, all you have to do is press SCS up and keep the currently selected target outside of your aim circle while keeping the target you wish to acquire within the circle. 'Reject' function (pinky switch) doesn't work the way it works on radar ATTK page, where you can cycle between targets. So... just point the aiming circle at the new target and press SCS up.

That's the way HMD is implemented currently. There are number of quirks. One of them will not let you acquire the target around the HUD frame, when HMD 'blanking' kicks in. The HACQ/LACQ will snap to HUD bore and you have to fly your jet to bring the target to HUD center. If the target is already acquired off bore and you're bringing your jet's nose on the target, the target box will continue through the 'blanking' and into the HUD without any 'dead' zones, etc. etc.

No joy 😞

I can have the aircraft coming right at me. It shows that my radar beam is aligned to their path.. I go up / down / left right a bit.. and nothing.

I'll have to go back and see if I missed something in settings.   I do have blanking off and I increase the mids range to 50.

BTW.. why are my posts in double space?

I just tested this again. The issue around the HUD frame seems to be gone for the most part. I didn't have any problems using HACQ around the HUD frame this time. The Undesignate switch in combination with precise reticle pointing worked fairly well. Occasionally it took a bit longer to get a lock. When in HACQ with target designated, pressing 'Undesig.' once broke lock and HACQ would automatically acquire whatever the reticle was pointing at. Pressing 'Undesig.' second time, before it auto-acquires again would cancel HACQ and the radar was in ACM bore.

Post a vid or a track. It might be something simple...

Here's my clip. In the last few seconds, you can see Link16 extrapolation mess when turns are involved and couple of times the target box on my HMD drifted off. 

Hey Gripes

Thanks for the video.  Mine works like that too.  My fault for not explaining well.  When they are coming in hot say 20 out I see them on my radar.  However.. when I put my HMD on them it wont lock them.

In a dogfight its even worse.  I can lock up one, but if the lock is broken and we are dogfighting it doesn't seem to lock them up again.  It's like I need to clear the radar, or reset it.

Thanks again for taking the time to make the video

57 minutes ago, Gogojuice said:

Hey Gripes

Thanks for the video.  Mine works like that too.  My fault for not explaining well.  When they are coming in hot say 20 out I see them on my radar.  However.. when I put my HMD on them it wont lock them.

In a dogfight its even worse.  I can lock up one, but if the lock is broken and we are dogfighting it doesn't seem to lock them up again.  It's like I need to clear the radar, or reset it.

Thanks again for taking the time to make the video

OK, I can see how this could happen in LHAQ mode. If you have your bandit say at 40nm hot, in HUD's FOV, then try to enter LHAQ with your HMD looking through HUD, the HMD is forced into ACM bore. It seems like there's no long range ACM on ATTK page. If you offset and aim your LHAQ at the bandit at 40nm or less outside of your HUD's FOV, you should be able to lock him. Then, you can drag him into HUD's view without loosing a lock.

When dogfighting using guns or Aim9x, this works like a charm on my rig. Well, I haven't tried it yet after the recent updates, hehe.

If you’re nose-on to the bandit, the HUD blanking or boresight transition may be your issue. 

I personally shut off blanking and push MIDS display to 100 miles immediately upon startup. Doing so allows you to see MIDS tracks through the HUD, cockpit, etc; much better for SA in my opinion.

When HUD blanking is turned off, the acquisition circle stays aligned to your helmet, as opposed to jumping to the HUD. 

2 hours ago, Brass2-1 said:

If you’re nose-on to the bandit, the HUD blanking or boresight transition may be your issue. 

I personally shut off blanking and push MIDS display to 100 miles immediately upon startup. Doing so allows you to see MIDS tracks through the HUD, cockpit, etc; much better for SA in my opinion.

When HUD blanking is turned off, the acquisition circle stays aligned to your helmet, as opposed to jumping to the HUD. 

Yea, I've been doing this for a while. Few months ago I made a short vid showing my attempts to turn the Hornet into F35. :hehe:  On top of what you said I also turn down the HUD so it's barely visible and crank up the HMD to the max. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brass2-1 said:

@Gripes323did you share that video publicly? I’m tinkering with the HMD now and would be interested in seeing it. 

I was just goofing off.  After getting really frustrated with the way 'blanking' is modelled in the Hornet, I decided to get creative. I don't know if it's just me getting used to it or there is some improvement with the dead zone around the HUD currently. It does seem to work better now but still...

Anyways:

• Like 1