Starting cold, some switches out of OFF?

Red Dog

Is there a way for user to setup the switches position specifically when starting from cold?
I found some switches position out of OFF and already set which kind of negates my idea of ramp start 🙂
Is that settable with a lua or something ?

- Engine feed is on NORM 
- C&I is on UFC 
- Master Light is on NORM
- Air source is NORM
-O2 ON

Thanks

• Like 4

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

http://www.ravico.com/ST/perso/Sig_generale.png

[/sIGPIC]

I would like that as well but, according to people who have worked on real Vipers, this is the cockpit state a pilot would find when climbing into the cockpit, as the ground personnell has already run the preflight checks and setup. You can look for those threads for a more detailed explanation.

Having said that, I would like the option to have those switches set to OFF as well but I am not very knowledgeable about how to do it. 

• Like 1

Rivet Counter

Hardware: Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50 GHZ | ASUSTeK B85M-G | NVidia GeForce GTX 960 2047MB | 8GB RAM DDR3

I would also like to know if this is possible.
Can switches be manipulated at mission start via a trigger?

It's bothered me some time that the P-51D for instance always starts cold with the cockpit lights turned all the way up.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

On 12/29/2021 at 4:42 AM, Red Dog said:

Is there a way for user to setup the switches position specifically when starting from cold?

I do that type of thing, using cockpit triggers on the mission. That is, only on missions edited by yourself, and for single player only … on this thread the subject is explored in more depth:

here is another thread that touches on the same techniques for cockpit control:

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

In the DTC teaser images released by ED a couple of years ago there were options to set pretty much every single cockpit switch the way you want it for cold starts. It's been so long since then so who knows if it'll still be a feature or if it has long since been scrapped.

And I'm sceptical regarding the current cold start setup being the worldwide standard. Is it standard procedure during preflight to set every single volume knob to the maximum setting and blow out the eardrums of the pilot?

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

• 2 weeks later...

The crew chief also usually forgets to put the chocks on.... 
So when you check systems at ramp, the aircraft may move forward unless the pilots request chocks on in the first place... 

IMHO, an cold aircraft should be chocked by default. 

edit: I see the request was already made in the whish list so hopefully it happens someday

Edited by Red Dog
  • Like 1

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

On 12/29/2021 at 1:42 AM, Red Dog said:

I found some switches position out of OFF and already set which kind of negates my idea of ramp start 🙂
Is that settable with a lua or something ?

- Engine feed is on NORM 
- C&I is on UFC 
- Master Light is on NORM
- Air source is NORM
-O2 ON

Thanks

Do you want realism or just to flip switches for the sake of flipping switches?

I understand the request might seem ridiculous for some unaware of one flight sim environment 🙂

But I use such a tool:

662_rightconsole.jpg

And since I shut down on my missions, and set switches accordingly, I would like to have my switches synchronized the next time I fire up DCS

So no Sir, it's not for just the purpose of flipping switches, it has a specific purpose depending on my way to use the sim, which I understand might be different than yours 🙂

• Like 3

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

12 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

I understand the request might seem ridiculous for some unaware of one flight sim environment 🙂

But I use such a tool:

662_rightconsole.jpg

And since I shut down on my missions, and set switches accordingly, I would like to have my switches synchronized the next time I fire up DCS

So no Sir, it's not for just the purpose of flipping switches, it has a specific purpose depending on my way to use the sim, which I understand might be different than yours 🙂

That's quite the cockpit.

But in real life, a lot of those switches never get touched unless maintenance was done and the crew chief didn't set it up for you.  A lot of the cockpit sweep is "verifying" not actually moving the switches (like the air source knob for example).

• Like 3

Sure but tell me if the C&I switch is a verify one? 
Isn't that one supposed to be in BUP rather than UFC for startup? 

It certainly isn't in the real VERIFY section of the checklists, matter of fact it's stated to be BUP in the 'real' cockpit interior checks
So any guy following the checklist should have at least that one correctly set ...

IMHO

Edited by Red Dog
  • Like 1

Have a Bandit Day

Red Dog

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

17 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Sure but tell me if the C&I switch is a verify one? 
Isn't that one supposed to be in BUP rather than UFC for startup? 

It certainly isn't in the real VERIFY section of the checklists, matter of fact it's stated to be BUP in the 'real' cockpit interior checks
So any guy following the checklist should have at least that one correctly set ...

IMHO

Should be in Backup for shutdown.  Therefore should be in backup during the over the rail check.

Air Source Knob should be norm

Eng Feed Knob Normal

O2 should be 100% and OFF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been told that there exists a ground crew checklist document which specifies exactly how the airplane is to be prepared prior to air crew arrival. Obviously if this checklist actually exists and can be viewed we will know exactly how the user should find the airplane.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frederf said:

I have been told that there exists a ground crew checklist document which specifies exactly how the airplane is to be prepared prior to air crew arrival. Obviously if this checklist actually exists and can be viewed we will know exactly how the user should find the airplane.

if you look at the shutdown checklist, that'll get you pretty close.  I don't remember anything that the crew chiefs did that wasn't part of that checklist.  And it's obviously not critical (think cross country where there is no crew chief).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Im agree. I would like to switch on every needed step at prestart. It's a sim, and the closest way to feel like a real pilots. If we just push start J2 and get all cockpit on, will feel like an airbus pilot:

-Before start checklist.

-Power on

-Before takeoff checklist complete...

Real C&D cabin would be nice as an options.

A good crew chief already has the switches set, although even dcs has a few missed...big ones are lighting norm, anti col 1, but wing/tail and fuselage to brt(dim at night),(flash during day, steady at night) eng feed norm, epu off (norm in dcs) o2 switch to PBG (pressure breathing for G), hot mic, tacan/ils off

Edited by Carbon715
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 8:02 PM, Katalan said:

Im agree. I would like to switch on every needed step at prestart. It's a sim, and the closest way to feel like a real pilots. If we just push start J2 and get all cockpit on, will feel like an airbus pilot:

-Before start checklist.

-Power on

-Before takeoff checklist complete...

Real C&D cabin would be nice as an options.

You wouldn't perform every single step on a real aircraft, since the ground crew would prepare the a/c. 

If your definition of a simulator is to do the procedures as closely as real life, your job would be to check that all switches are in the right position, that's it. It's not about "just pushing start J2 and get all cockpit on" but going through all relevant check-lists to make sure that when you push start J2, everything will indeed light up as intended.

• Like 1

DCS' WIP mission planner for DTC implementation should sort this out, as it will include an intial switch state.

This was for the Hornet, but as I understand it, it will be done across all modules.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

7 hours ago, LetMePickThat said:

You wouldn't perform every single step on a real aircraft, since the ground crew would prepare the a/c. 

If your definition of a simulator is to do the procedures as closely as real life, your job would be to check that all switches are in the right position, that's it. It's not about "just pushing start J2 and get all cockpit on" but going through all relevant check-lists to make sure that when you push start J2, everything will indeed light up as intended.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:48 AM, Carbon715 said:

A good crew chief already has the switches set, although even dcs has a few missed...big ones are lighting norm, anti col 1, but wing/tail and fuselage to brt(dim at night),(flash during day, steady at night) eng feed norm, epu off (norm in dcs) o2 switch to PBG (pressure breathing for G), hot mic, tacan/ils off

It's not about real simulation, it's about game inmersion. You can do it in other modules, why couldn't be an option. We can choose if we want transparent or smoked canopy, then the same. Just to feel the pleasure to toogle a switch that do something.