Tips for using Oculus Rift S/Quest 2 hand controllers INSTEAD of HOTAS

M4ND4L0R3

Hi guys,

Just testing for a buddy ( although I am also on VR and wondering myself )

Found some issues when using the " virtual hands " in DCS, for example trying to grab both throttles in the F-18 is super tedious at best, it doesnt really feel " smooth " when trying to use your left hand to interact with the rest of the cockpit, and then trying to find the throttle again.

Toggle switches are also super painfull, you give the flaps switch a hit for example, and then without even moving your hand you get multiple movements from the toggle switch ( using the trigger to activate the finger point and moving it down/up seems to cause unusual reactions )

Does anyone fly with the 1st VR hand settings? or do you use #2,3,4 etc, or #6 where you set it up yourself somehow?

I also play VTOL VR and its obvious to admit that its setup purely for VR, but I thought maybe DCS VR would have some smoother interactions than what I am experiencing.

Typically I play just with the headset and the HOTAS/mouse, but my buddy was just wondering if he could get away with buying some rudder pedals and then use his Quest 2 setup to play.

Thanks in advance for any advice, really appreciate it.

28 minutes ago, RoyMi6 said:

Unfortunately, I think your experience is typical. 

The implementation of VR hands in DCS is pretty lackluster and essentially unusable apart from a quick show and tell. 

Fair enough, its obviously something they havent really invested a lot of time in, at least as far as the #1 option of VR hands goes.

I am going to try the rest of the options and see if I can find a method that works best, but still being unable to accurately grab both throttles consistantly is an amazing issue, let alone trying to use all of the stick options with one oculus controller, lol.

meh, I guess.

I will admit, VTOL *might* hold my attention for a moment or two but, but I really need to be working on my understanding of geometry after the merge and maybe not quite so much how, precisely, I enter brc into the UFC, ya know?

Check out xplane, they are all over the VR controller thing. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder