Double ugly loadout on the F-16?

DD_fruitbat

I'd be open to evidence of exactly any problems manifest with an imbalanced fuel configuration, but I'm not seeing any particular catastrophic problem with it. You can absolutely get TRP FUEL warning but that doesn't mean you can't necessarily extract all the fuel from the system. The warning is there to indicate a potential problem which assumes a normal configuration. Having one system start to run dry internally while the other side still has external fuel could cause a warning even though the situation is not dire. It probably helps to do some manual adjustment with the ENG FEED knob.

It's not approved and not done. Not all creativity which is physically possible is within the rules. Can the machine do it? Maybe. Are you allowed to? Absolutely not.

• Like 3

There isn't really the same advantages to doing it with the Viper as there is in the Hornet. With the Hornet, eliminating the left wing fuel tank gives the FLIR pod much better visibility, that's not as much of a problem with the Viper because it mounts the TGP farther forward and lower. The Hornet also carries the exact same fuel tanks on center as it does on the wings, which means one bag on the wing and one on centerline is the same amount of fuel as two on the wings; that's not the case with the Viper where running one wing and one centerline means less fuel. 

Running a double ugly loadout in the Hornet is all about better visibility for the FLIR. Yes, it can carry more weapons in that configuration, but in the real world it very rarely does. At least for GWOT deployed Legacy Hornets, double ugly loadouts still tended to keep to three or four weapons (based on photos at least, I don't really know what I'm talking about here).

I think Viper is more sensitive to asymmetric loads than Hornet. A "double ugly" (a single wing bag and weapons on the other side) loadout might be outside the bounds of asymmetric load that can be safely taken off with. I don't remember the exact limit, but the bags are 2516lbs each and the most you'll be carrying on the other side is a 2000lb bomb. A 500lbs asymmetry is a lot, and I suspect most people who'd fly like this would rather take 3x500lb bombs, so we're talking a 1000lbs asymmetry - similar effect on COG to flying with a single JSOW, and almost certainly outside the limits for safe takeoff and landing.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:50 PM, Tenkom said:

That sounds like a weird design flaw. What if there is a malfunction on one of the tanks?

its not design flaw, plane which can load asymmetric loadout are very rare ! most of the plane will load symmetric, hornet has great ability!