A-10C II Mavericks

why do the mavericks in the A10 like to lock to anything except the target you want to kill or if you get that lock on the target instead it wants to blow up some tree or fence and now im not way out of range actuall im a good mile or 2 or 3  out or just within the range to fire them with there energy  but yet they fill like blowing up other stuff not the intended target can anyone explain?

My first guess would be that you don't have a good lock on what you are trying to shoot at. How are you locking the target up? You need to slew the tracking gates onto the target to get the maverick seeker to get a lock. DMS UP & HOLD to space stabilize the seeker helps a lot, you have to release the DMS switch once you've slewed the tracking gates in order for it to lock. If done correctly you should see the tracking gates close in on the target indicating a good lock on the thing that's in the center of the crosshairs. Its up to you to determine if that thing is what you are trying to shoot.

Also at least with a real maverick you'd want to ensure that the cross symbol floating around the screen isn't flashing because that indicates the missile wont be able to keep its lock during the launch transients. BUT I don't think it's accurately moddeled in DCS because the cross never stops flashing for me and it doesn't seem to care, the missile still hits the target.

Hi,

Those are well known bugs that have been reported for several times.

Loocking the unintended object (fences, street lights...) is admitted as a bug by ED. This is common for DCS F-16C also.

As far as, flashing pointing cross as a valid lock condition, so far I found only one post (deleted now) that ED commfirmed that this behaviour is not simulated corretly and that will look in to it to find some solution. But, that bug is not officialy confirmed by ED.

Best regards,

falconbr

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken, the cross isn't flashing in the F-16C when the target's been locked on properly. Does it mean that symbology has been implemented properly in the F-16C but not in the A-10C? Or does it work differently in these 2 aircraft? (I.e. flashes in the Warthog and doesn't in the Viper).

Edited by Hog_driver

38 minutes ago, Hog_driver said:

Does it mean that symbology has been implemented properly in the F-16C but not in the A-10C?

Yes, it is properly implemented in DCS F-16C, but unfortunately not in DCS: A-10C Warthog and DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer.

Also, IMHO in both simulation AGM-65 Operational Limitations are not fully / complete implemented. For example, "keyhole" limitation:

Z4GQFei.png

The Pointing Cross should flash outside the "keyhole".

Best regards,

falconbr

• Thanks 1

I'd also like to point out that a maverick locking onto fences, shadows, bushes near the target is not a bug at all. Thats a realistic problem that has to be accounted for by real pilots. The seeker is just looking for points of contrast on the video. The pilot has to verify that it is indeed locked onto the correct target and if not, they need to not rifle/slew the seeker onto the correct target.

Its only a bug if it does have a good lock w/ the good lock logic talked about by everyone else above, and then bites off on the wrong thing after being rifled... Although from my understanding that's not entirely unheard of in real life either.

12 hours ago, ASAP said:

I'd also like to point out that a maverick locking onto fences, shadows, bushes near the target is not a bug at all. Thats a realistic problem that has to be accounted for by real pilots. The seeker is just looking for points of contrast on the video. The pilot has to verify that it is indeed locked onto the correct target and if not, they need to not rifle/slew the seeker onto the correct target.

Its only a bug if it does have a good lock w/ the good lock logic talked about by everyone else above, and then bites off on the wrong thing after being rifled... Although from my understanding that's not entirely unheard of in real life either.

Hi,

Here is the bug report for DCS F-16C. Please note the BIGNEWY answer for street lights.

Best regards,

falconbr

3 hours ago, falconbr said:

Here is the bug report for DCS F-16C. Please note the BIGNEWY answer for street lights.

Yeah the seeker biting off specifically on runway lights for some reason is a bug, especially if you can't slew off of it and lock onto the target or it always insists on only locking onto the light.

I meant in the bigger context of maverick behaviour this would actually be pretty realistic. The seeker looks for points of contrast in an image and bounds on them so small objects like bushes, trees, fences, and especially shadows, even the targets shadow are things the maverick could lock onto. It would be far more realistic if DCS players have to contend with those issues like in the real world (as opposed to slave all to SPI, TMS forward short = lock on exactly what your TGP was looking at with no issues).

1 hour ago, ASAP said:

I meant in the bigger context of maverick behaviour this would actually be pretty realistic. The seeker looks for points of contrast in an image and bounds on them so small objects like bushes, trees, fences, and especially shadows, even the targets shadow are things the maverick could lock onto. It would be far more realistic if DCS players have to contend with those issues like in the real world (as opposed to slave all to SPI, TMS forward short = lock on exactly what your TGP was looking at with no issues).

Agree for all.

Best regards,

falconbr

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ASAP said:

Yeah the seeker biting off specifically on runway lights for some reason is a bug, especially if you can't slew off of it and lock onto the target or it always insists on only locking onto the light.

I've actually found that even with the TGP pointing at an object and slaving the MAV to the TGP, it will still occasionally lock onto something nearby when I press TMS up, so there's definitely issues.  Whether the issue is realistic or not is up for debate, I suppose.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 10:33 PM, ASAP said:

Aye. The real life Mav seekers liking for the “mk1 combat hedge” rather than the pilots targeted vehicles has been discussed before.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:43 AM, Hog_driver said:

If I'm not mistaken, the cross isn't flashing in the F-16C when the target's been locked on properly. Does it mean that symbology has been implemented properly in the F-16C but not in the A-10C? Or does it work differently in these 2 aircraft? (I.e. flashes in the Warthog and doesn't in the Viper).

The pointing cross shows the seeker angle. A flashing cross indicates marginal track/launch conditions while a solid (not flashing) cross indicates acceptable conditions. That would be the same for all airplanes. I believe the A-10 is backwards to reality, flashing in good conditions and solid in bad conditions.

• Thanks 1

Hey all,

This...

On 12/31/2021 at 2:09 PM, jaylw314 said:

I've actually found that even with the TGP pointing at an object and slaving the MAV to the TGP, it will still occasionally lock onto something nearby when I press TMS up, so there's definitely issues.  Whether the issue is realistic or not is up for debate, I suppose.

It is almost like the MAV has its own AI of some kind just to mess with the players head.  Once it starts jumping off the TGP slaved target, for example a big SA-2 TR, the player (me) gets to really experience a few frustrating moments trying to get the darn thing to lock on to that target.  If at all...  Don't bring up TGP GYMBAL ROLL faults in the same attack please.

As Jay stated, I do not not know if this behavior is realistic or not.  But I do know that the FLIR issues that effect the TGP effect the MAVs seeker also.

DMS up and hold is difficult for me to do while maneuvering as I seldom fly straight and level at a target that can target me back.

Caldera

• 4 weeks later...