[Reported] IR Maverick (AGM-65F) - no release bug?

LittleNose

There appears to be a bug with the IR Mavericks not releasing (firing) off the rails when the cage auto-collapses upon selection of the maverick sensor (sensor select switch forward).

Maveric will fire normally when the target is locked after selecting the maverick sensor (SSS forward).  However if when pressing SSS forward the gage collapses onto the target immediately, then the maverick will not fire.  It can be resolved by a quick cage/uncage procedure.

Also of note that if the "tone" option is selected, then an audible tone is heard in this situation, but no release occurs.

Attached a Track file that shows:

- A/G mode, master arm on, flaps up, nozzles 0°

first Launch
 - find target in DMT
 - uncage mav
 - select mav and zoom in
 - no lock yet... get closer and TDC depress.  locks and weapon release  = fires <-- all good !
Second Launch
 - move DMT to another nearby BMP
 - uncage mav
 - zoom and slelect Mav
 - cage collaspes for lock
 - cannot launch
 - re-cage & un-cage mav
 - mav launches on release press

IR_Mav_Track.trk

• 2 weeks later...

I *believe* I’m seeing the same thing, though have also found that SSS to INS will allow me to launch (so no need to cage/uncage).

I don’t have a track but do have a youtube video showing the behaviour. (And can easily make a track if it would help - it’s 100% reproducible for me)

I thought I was going mad… 

The youtube video description documents the process I was trying to follow, but essentially, I find target, uncage Mav (in range), cage collapses so lock achieved, SSS fwd to set IRMV as SOI, try to launch, Beep, launch fail, try a few more times, then press SSS fwd again (INS == SOI), launch. 

Edited by rubbra
  • Thanks 1

Hah, I know what you mean! I posted on discord yesterday asking for help to work out what I was doing wrong - new to Harrier - and felt like it was a me thing, but couldn’t work out what it was. The patient folk on said discord told me their process, I wrote it down, went through it on active pause to make sure I wasn’t being daft, no luck, re-read Chuck’s guide, same thing. Then found this page. Made me feel a lot less useless!

• AlphaJuliet changed the title to [Reported] IR Maverick (AGM-65F) - no release bug?