How much break to apply on landing?

Roosterfeet

A while back I upgraded from a twist stick with a button bound to wheel breaks to a set of rudder pedals with toe breaks. I assume breaking after touchdown is pretty much the same for any jet aircraft with nose-gear. My question is, what's the proper method to apply toe breaks on landing? Do I want to slam on both breaks as soon as I touch down or should I gradually apply break pressure? And if it's gradual, do I slowly increase to full break pressure or just eyeball enough break to stop like I would in a car? I've noticed it's a little hard to stay straight on the runway when I've got a break on both sides to deal with.

Thanks for any advice.

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

1 minute ago, Roosterfeet said:

A while back I upgraded from a twist stick with a button bound to wheel breaks to a set of rudder pedals with toe breaks. I assume breaking after touchdown is pretty much the same for any jet aircraft with nose-gear. My question is, what's the proper method to apply toe breaks on landing? Do I want to slam on both breaks as soon as I touch down or should I gradually apply break pressure? And if it's gradual, do I slowly increase to full break pressure or just eyeball enough break to stop like I would in a car? I've noticed it's a little hard to stay straight on the runway when I've got a break on both sides to deal with.

Thanks for any advice.

Depends on the plane, don't know if any one should be slammed. 

But various pressures or tapps work on most. For warbirds the best thing is to let them slow down as much as possible by themselves  before breaking. Some planes can take more punishment and can take harder breaking 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Depends on the plane. Tomcat you can be a lot more aggressive on the brakes than say the Viper. But I generally let the plane roll out and use the vertical stabs as air brakes together with the air brake till the plane is at a 100 knots or so, and then I start applying brakes. It depends also how long the runway is and if I set her down on the piano keys, or overshot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

this is the big issue when you upgrade from a twist-grip like my old MS Sidewinder to a higher end like the Warthog.  You completely lose the fine-tuning of a rudder and brakes and go for the all-or-nothing with a bound control.  There are no variances in the degrees of deflection when you press a button.  It's one or zero -- full on or full off.

I've spun out many times on the runway because of too much brake pressure, and helos are almost completely unflyable without rudder pedals.  Helos don't really fly anyway; they just beat the air into submission.

You can mimic degrees of freedom by tapping as said above but I, for one, am longing for the days my wife will let me blow $300 on a good set of rudder pedals.

If you got an aircraft with anti skid, slamming the brakes is possible. In one without anti skid, you should press only so much that they don't start skidding.

In real life, amount of brakes used is dependant on various factors including but not limited to runway length, thrust reverse availability etc. If you have plenty of runway ahead you don't have to slam the brakes to prevent increased wear and tear as well as hot brakes.

I flew a downloaded mission last week and was having a heck of a time w/ the wheels locking up on the FA-18 and the plane sliding all over. Been flying this plane for 2-3 years and this is the first time w/ this problem. I found out that, for some reason in this mission only, the abs is turned off. I have just a button control so abs is needed. I now try to remember to flip the abs switch each time I fly this mission.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 3:34 PM, CBStu said:

I flew a downloaded mission last week and was having a heck of a time w/ the wheels locking up on the FA-18 and the plane sliding all over. Been flying this plane for 2-3 years and this is the first time w/ this problem. I found out that, for some reason in this mission only, the abs is turned off. I have just a button control so abs is needed. I now try to remember to flip the abs switch each time I fly this mission.

In the Hornet you're supposed to have the anti-skid on for field ops, but off for carrier ops. On the deck you only ever use brakes at very low speeds and so anti-skid is not needed, thus having it off means it can't fail and get you into trouble. The in game aircraft is set up accordingly by default so perhaps the mission had you start on the deck or intended you to land on it and that's why it was off?

7 hours ago, M1Combat said:

Preferably no breaks, but all the brakes...

Sorry...

This.....you're either having a break or using the brake!

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

6 hours ago, lmp said:

In the Hornet you're supposed to have the anti-skid on for field ops, but off for carrier ops. On the deck you only ever use brakes at very low speeds and so anti-skid is not needed, thus having it off means it can't fail and get you into trouble. The in game aircraft is set up accordingly by default so perhaps the mission had you start on the deck or intended you to land on it and that's why it was off?

They turn it off on the ship becasue the ships movement messes with it.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 1/14/2022 at 8:56 AM, Roosterfeet said:

Damn you, homophones! :Shakes fist angrily at sky:

In my day, we didn't even have words! We just had sticks! And we were damn glad to have 'em, too!

• Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2