Advice Extension vs No Extension (WarBRD vs T-50CM2 Base)

ESzczesniak

I'm thinking about moving to a Virpil Base from the TM Warthog.  I just upgraded to a Winwing Super Taurus + Startup Panel/Takeoff/Combat Panels and have a set of Crosswing MFG pedals with damper.  So it seems like the stick is the outlier.  I fly the Hornet almost exclusively, so would be planning to use my TM Warthog Hornet stick on a Virpil base.

I'm trying to figure out the WarBRD vs T-50CM2 base.  It seems the difference heavily boils down to use of extensions or not.  I know the T-50CM2 comes with more cam and spring options, as well as about 5 degrees less travel (16 or 17 vs 22).  I use a  standard Monstertech table mount for my stick, so the excessive height with desktop use is a bit of a moot point.

Does anyone have advice if I should plan for an extension in the future?  The WarBRD base seems the most drop in for my current setup. And if this is all I'll ever use, no need to overspend.  However, I don't know how much value an extension may or may not add and keeping this option open would be good.  The only downside beyond cost I could see for the T-50CM2 is the decreased travel if I never move to an extension.

So to put it mildly, I'm torn and would appreciate any feedback. 

This is only a comment based on my experience going from TM warthog and the Monstertech table mount to the full Virpil (insane spendapalooza) T-50CM2 with the 200mm extension and Virpils own mounts. So, I can’t answer your good question about the warBRD but:

- For me, the long extension for the T-50CM2 really makes a difference. I can’t go back. I went from 100mm extension on the TM warthog and monstertech to 200mm Virpil. This is most def something that is a personal choice what works best (and the Virpil base itself probably stands for most of that improved feeling)

- I was surprised by how much I like the Virpil mounts. Easy to mount, allows for better cable management, flexible + cool.  I changed to them because of the 200mm extension (I think maybe 100mm is the sweet spot for the Monstertech mounts?). 

- I had the exact same idea to use my TM Hornet grip but only when flying the Hornet. This has not worked for me. The grip works fine but I am struggling with the VIrpil software when changing grips (It is probably a me-problem). If I was sticking with only one grip the Hornet grip works great on the base. I will keep the Hornet grip (I love it) and try to solve my swap-problem later.  

System specs: 13900K, Nvidia 4090RTX, 64 GB RAM, 2TB SSD.  Rig: Next Level Racing Boing Military. VR: Varjo Aero (+Pimax (8KX)
Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Crosswind,
Winwing Orion 2 Hotas F16 (Throttle and stick) , Winwing Orion 2 F15EX throttle, Winwing F18 Phoenix MIP (VR)
Virpil Control Panel #2, Virpil Sharka 50 Control Panel, Total Controls Multi Function Button Box, Streamdeck
Software:  XRnecksafer, OpenKneeboard, SimShaker

6 hours ago, Canard said:

This is only a comment based on my experience going from TM warthog and the Monstertech table mount to the full Virpil (insane spendapalooza) T-50CM2 with the 200mm extension and Virpils own mounts. So, I can’t answer your good question about the warBRD but:

- For me, the long extension for the T-50CM2 really makes a difference. I can’t go back. I went from 100mm extension on the TM warthog and monstertech to 200mm Virpil. This is most def something that is a personal choice what works best (and the Virpil base itself probably stands for most of that improved feeling)

- I was surprised by how much I like the Virpil mounts. Easy to mount, allows for better cable management, flexible + cool.  I changed to them because of the 200mm extension (I think maybe 100mm is the sweet spot for the Monstertech mounts?). 

- I had the exact same idea to use my TM Hornet grip but only when flying the Hornet. This has not worked for me. The grip works fine but I am struggling with the VIrpil software when changing grips (It is probably a me-problem). If I was sticking with only one grip the Hornet grip works great on the base. I will keep the Hornet grip (I love it) and try to solve my swap-problem later.  

Just to clarify Monster Tech has two desk mounts, one standard and one extended. The extended is for the longer extensions like the 200 mm. 

I have one of each, my VKB Gunfighter Pro with 200 mm extension on the long one and my Virpil CM3 throttle on the standard one.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I switched from the WarBRD to the T-50CM2 Base when I still used the Virpil 200mm because of the shorter travel on the CM2 and I am glad that I did because my new DIY extension is 290mm.

You can see it here:

It makes a big difference to me. Every mm on the base seems to count with extensions. I fly exclusively helis but I can't imagine this wouldn't apply to fighters as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the same boat about the extensions. My Virpil CM2 and all my Monstertech stuff has been delivered and ready to do the switch from TM base to Virpil. I did not get any extensions with this all this though and still thinking about it. I might have to mod my chair if I do as I like sitting close center stick with the Hornet and Tomcat.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I have both of the bases and much prefer the T50 base with a 20cm extension that is centre mounted

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

6 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I have both of the bases and much prefer the T50 base with a 20cm extension that is centre mounted

Same here own both CM2 base + 20cm extension is great

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I have never used the T50, but I have converted from a TM base with extension, to a WarBRD with no extension.

I`m still waiting for my Monstertech chair, but so far I must say that the WarBRD base is miles above the TM base. The smoothness and "feel" of the stick is much better.
I can hardly wait for my chair to arrive so I can hook up my collective and stick to it.

I have just been messing about now with the stick and keyboard, and I had no problem what so ever in putting the Huey in to a stable hover. This is just with a Warthog stick on the WarBRD base on my desk. No tuning of axes or anything.

A bit delayed reply, but thank you all for the feed back!

Is there anyone who has used the T-50CM2 without an extension who feels the stick travel is too limited? 

I'm likely to be using this for at least a while without an extension, possibly forever.  The only drawback I can see at all for the T-50CM2 is the reduced travel if used without extension.  If this isn't much of an issue, then maybe there's no down side at all.  By the time I'm spending this kind of money, I'd rather take time to save up the extra 100 euros for the better base.  So while money doesn't grow on trees, I don't see the cost as a drawback.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm picky about details and would like to match the length of the real Hornet stick Does anybody know what it is? It's hard to tell from the angle we sit in the cockpit. I'm guessing around 20cm? I'm using a 10cm now and I know that's too short.

Some of you are using the WW2 length. 😉

Buzz

On 2/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, BuzzU said:

I'm picky about details and would like to match the length of the real Hornet stick Does anybody know what it is? It's hard to tell from the angle we sit in the cockpit. I'm guessing around 20cm? I'm using a 10cm now and I know that's too short.

You can match the length, but you probably would be way off in terms of the throw. You're probably better off staying closer on the throw...  too long a stick and you're really reaching your arm out, although you can use curves to make up for some of that... just some thoughts... 🙂

I’m now using the CM2 base with TM viper stick and Monstertech deck mounts Center stick with no extensions and absolutely love it that way. I mainly do BFM. I finally see what everyone’s talking about with the Virpil gear, it’s by far the best imho.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 2/12/2022 at 7:50 PM, BuzzU said:

You're lucky, F/A-18 is a rare modern aircraft we have (parts of) a document about cockpit geometry. MDC A4277-5 FA18A and TF/A18a Human Engineering Crew Station Design document. I hope it's OK to upload, document is from 1979, but I don't know anything about it's status.

It's a bit of a complication, there are two gimbals on a real F/A-18 stick, one for left / right movement, and 6 inches lower down one for fore / aft. And document measures up to a specific point on a stick. I found the old photos that were uploaded to now nearly dead Photobucket. They might have some errors in conversions.

I have cleaned up the images a bit and added measurement in millimetres (they are rounded to nearest millimetre), and uploaded them up on my Photobucket. I also made an aligned common image of all three views, but I'm not too sure about alignment of back view.

F18A Left.jpg

F18A Complete2.jpg

F18A Back.jpg

F18A Top.jpg

F18A Stick.jpg

Edited by Bwaze
  • Thanks 2