Help with HP G2

Dustbag1969

I have recently switched from Rift S to Reverb G2 but I am finding the settings a bit confusing.

It seems I need to adjust settings in WMR,  SteamVR, WMR for SteamVR and DCS itself.

My setup is

RYZEN 5600X, 32GB Mem, 2080 gfx, M2 drive, Windows 11

Any advice appreciated on how to setup to get decent performance and graphics.

Thanks

Might be a good place to start:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Also, don't forget to uninstall all traces of the Oculus software. It will cause issues if you don't get rid of it. (At least it did in my case). 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

When I got the G2 I also upgraded to Windows 11 with a complete clean install so there should be no trace of Occulus software.

The guide mentioned in the 1st reply is excellent but covers so much it is hard to know where to begin.
I am happy that the rest of my system is fairly well optimised so I will just focus on other settings.

DCS
I have left the PD in DCS to 1.0 as this seems to be the recommendation?

Steam VR
I have attached screenshots of my current settings if someone who tell me if these look OK?

Thank you

DCS settings.jpg

General.jpg

Video.jpg

I use almost the same configuration (only a 3080ti instead od 2080) for me to get a smooth experience, in DCS terrain textures to low (no great diference and great inpact on performance, also water in medium) od course no MSAA (nor x2 or x4) shadows on or off depends on your preferences (shadows has a huge impact on FPS) put them to flat or none. In steam VR settings motion smoothing off(it works well for me) and per aplicarion settings forced (It gives you stable 45fps and no sutter no ghost efect)

In windows mixed portal,  "use steam vr motion"

Hope this helps you. P.D. is good in 1.0

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

I have the same settings and also have my video per app @80 sometimes 100.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

there are two ways, the easiest is when you are in steam vr with your headset on, if you press in your right control yje key with tree horizontal stripes will bring you the steam menu, in the left bottm you must see the wmr icon, point at it and pres grab or tigger(dont remenber) and bring you a menu with options, in the graphics options, think is the segond dont' enable force directx button and in the retroprojection motion params , right ahead,  select  the first one , use steam vr blah blah... just like the photo atached.

Don´t give up, reverb g2 is more demanding than oculus rift s (I upgraded from this one) and even with a RTX 3080 ti, you must downgrade some things.(shados ,etc), but when it runs smooth is fantastic....

image.png

• Thanks 1

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

You got 2080. That is just a slightly above minimum hardware demand and you are pushing SS too hard. I know it says 100% but in reality, it is a super-sampled resolution to not go now in detail about why is it like that.
G2 display native resolution should be closest to 2160x2160 to reduce the load on GPU and that is around 50% resolution. Just try once to Auto to see where will be pushed automatically by the software.

Also, try it at 60Hz too. For a smooth experience at 90Hz, you need a stable 45 FPS minimum and at 60Hz you need 30FPS. You are coming from 80Hz Rift S so the point is you got smooth experience no matter 90 or 60Hz. I want to say this nausea experience is an individual issue and you could train your brain to adopt it in time. I'm coming from Q2 and for a smooth experience at 980Ti, I have to reduce it to 72Hz when I try on 90HZ I got nausea because I'm already used to 72Hz but with better GPU I will force myself to get used to it and my brain and senses will adapt to new 90Hz experience with time. Just like new users have problems with it. It is normal and doesn't get scared with it.
Also, try to squeeze some more FPS with OpenVR FSR mod. It is working with Nvidia too.

That's it. This is a starting point for you when you reach a stable minimum FPS for a smooth experience. Buy your self FPS counter on Steam it is less than 5$ but will give you needed measures for fine-tuning.

So these are your starting point and then fine-tuning to your preferences where you will save some FPS by tuning HMD SS resolution, refresh rate, or at details in-game. You just have to find a sweet spot and balance your wishes with hardware capability. It's compromise.