MiG-27

upyr1

15 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I know Razbam is working on the 23, but have they said anything about the 27? Depending on how close the flight models are, I think the 27 could be a good flow on. I'm not sure what version

I think  there are considerable differences , apart from a general external similarity.The Mig-27 weighs more at MTOW, has a different engine intake and exhaust , nose cone and less engine thrust .There should be significant differences in flight performance.

It will be cool, if it made its way into DCS , but given how things look presently, even the Mig-23 seems still years away.So maybe the 27 in the next decade.

regards,

Snappy 

Edited by Snappy

RAZBAM probably has it planned, just like with everything. Maybe after the AV-8B+... 🙂 

I wouldn't mind a -27, though. Especially if they modeled the landing lights breaking and instrument panel falling out when you fire the gun. 🙂 This was a real problem on some airframes equipped with GSh-6-30, that gun had some vibration issues, to say the least. 

That said, there were some problems with both MiG-27 and Su-22, or at least the later versions of them. Believe it or not, some of their systems are apparently still classified. I think this might be related to the fact they had EW gear for SEAD missions, those tend to be really tightly guarded (something like HTS would be considered top secret by any non-US country).

Edited by Dragon1-1

9 hours ago, Snappy said:

I think  there are considerable differences , apart from a general external similarity.The Mig-27 weighs more at MTOW, has a different engine intake and exhaust , nose cone and less engine thrust .There should be significant differences in flight performance.

It will be cool, if it made its way into DCS , but given how things look presently, even the Mig-23 seems still years away.So maybe the 27 in the next decade.

regards,

Snappy 

I'd love to see the EM charts to know for sure. Anyway it would be awesome.

9 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

RAZBAM has no confirme nothing yet about a Mig-27.

No one has but it would be nice 

• Like 1

I doubt Razbam will do it, but who knows. There is a lot of late cold war era "blue force" jets in the pipeline ATM, and a big wish for more "red force" jets. The nice thing about the late cold war is its "red force"  can actually be simulated. We already have the Mig-21, and the Mi-24. The Mig-23 is still planed, and there are rumors of a Mig-29A. A Mig-27K would give some serious ground attack capability to the reds. Personally I would prefer an SU-22, but I would still buy a Mig-27 on day one. So maybe someone will do it. There is a market of late cold war Russian jets. Maybe some new studio will come in an fill it. Or maybe ED will decide it's easy money, which it is, and fill it themselves. The Mig-27 would be a good start. 

"I'd love to see the EM charts to know for sure. Anyway it would be awesome"

My understanding is they simplified the intake and exhaust, since it isn't as concerned about performance at high altitude. 

• Like 1

MiG-23 itself will take some more years to complete, given how low it's on Razbam priority list. And by the time it's done, Raz is going to have it's hands full with half a dozen other projects, just ad always. So I would not expect a MiG-27 from Razbam in next 5 years or so.

Still, we might (but it's still to be confirmed) get an Su-17/22 from other dev in the coming years, so it's not all bad news. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:41 AM, Nipil said:

Still, we might (but it's still to be confirmed) get an Su-17/22 from other dev in the coming years, so it's not all bad news. 

Eventually, I want them both in DCS! 🙂

But I'm very happy for the Fitter tease, as it's been one of the top aircraft I've wanted in DCS for many years.

They would actually complement each other with a MiG-27K. Su-17/22 for more payload and endurance, also depending on version a lot more SEAD options, MiG-27K for Kaira optical targeting/lasing system.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I'd want one purely to flex on A-10 jockeys with a more devastating gun run than theirs, only to realize my instrumentation no longer functions and my nose strut is stuck.

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

5 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

I'd want one purely to flex on A-10 jockeys with a more devastating gun run than theirs, only to realize my instrumentation no longer functions and my nose strut is stuck.

that would be awesome

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 7:52 PM, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

only to realize my instrumentation no longer functions and my nose strut is stuck

As far as I know, that was fixed once they lowered the rate of fire (from 6,000-ish rpm to 4,000-ish).

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

13 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

As far as I know, that was fixed once they lowered the rate of fire (from 6,000-ish rpm to 4,000-ish).

Yeah, once they cranked down the ROF, there weren't as many issues. But, that's not as fun, IMO. That's what makes MiGs so interesting as so full of character, they have these absolutely bonkers issues like that arise that really demanded that the designers (who didn't benefit nearly as much from advances in design tech as those in the west) to come up with interesting solutions.

I'd want the option to crank it up, just for laughs.

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!