New to Combined Arms and VERY confused

dbarak
Go to solution Solved by Northstar98,

DISREGARD

I was messing around randomly trying things and I noticed that the year was set to 2016. Then I remembered that SCUDS were a big deal during the Gulf War in 1991, so I switched the year and that gave me the option to add them. I can delete this post if the admins want.

###

Hello everyone,

I just installed Combined Arms into the latest version of DCS. I see existing available Combined Arms missions but I don't see any way to add units (a SCUD for instance) to my own missions. I watched a video and it seems there should be a "missiles" category in the ground units section, but I don't have that. I haven't tried any other kinds of units.

Am I misunderstanding what Combined Arms is supposed to allow me to do? Is it just that I haven't found the right way to do it? Am I experiencing a bug?

I did a search here in the forums and ended up with a thousand returns spread over 40 pages, so if the answer is in there and I didn't spot it I apologize. Can anyone help?

Dave

Edited by dbarak
  • Like 1

• Solution
On 1/1/2022 at 3:40 AM, dbarak said:

DISREGARD

I was messing around randomly trying things and I noticed that the year was set to 2016. Then I remembered that SCUDS were a big deal during the Gulf War in 1991, so I switched the year and that gave me the option to add them. I can delete this post if the admins want.

Glad it went okay.

But if this crops up again, if you look down at the bottom of the mission editor, you'll see a small icon that looks like a stopwatch, what it does is it turns on/off historical mode (if you see a date in the top-right of the screen, in the unit selection window, it's on).

What it does is it filters units and weapons to only include those that were in service for the date of your mission.

I'm unsure if it differentiates between different operators, but I do know that some stuff isn't included, and it isn't always precise for whatever variant.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Hi Northstar,

Thanks! I'd seen that but I didn't realize what it was or wasn't doing by clicking it. Man, DCS is so complex - it's amazing but it's also pretty daunting. I can see it taking a long, long time to get anywhere near mastering it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dbarak said:

Hi Northstar,

Thanks! I'd seen that but I didn't realize what it was or wasn't doing by clicking it. Man, DCS is so complex - it's amazing but it's also pretty daunting. I can see it taking a long, long time to get anywhere near mastering it.

You're welcome! 😉

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.