Laser code modification question of laser guided bomb

FrostLaufeyson

I currently own two aircraft, A10C and F18C. And they can all be able to change the laser code used to guide the bomb in flight.
However, when I tested the buddy lase with another person one day, I learned that the F16 can only change the laser code when it is not turned on on the ground.

I am a little confused now, is the laser code of the bomb controlled by electronic signals or mechanically? Can the laser code be changed on the fly in reality?

It's set mechnically, in reality it can't be changed in the air (for paveway II -> GBU-12 etc)

The newer ones with electrical interface probably can, but these have no electrical connection to the plane.

5小时前,Py说:

It's set mechnically, in reality it can't be changed in the air (for paveway II -> GBU-12 etc)

The newer ones with electrical interface probably can, but these have no electrical connection to the plane.

So no aircraft in DCS should be able to change the laser code of the bomb in the air?

In this case, we are enjoying the convenience based on the mistakes in DCS.

4 hours ago, FrostLaufeyson said:

So no aircraft in DCS should be able to change the laser code of the bomb in the air?

In this case, we are enjoying the convenience based on the mistakes in DCS.

Can't guarantee it's all aircraft that shouldn't be able (I presume so), but for sure F-16 and F-18 anyway.  Not really a mistake on ED's part, just an acknowledged current limitation of the game not having an easy way to set it on the ground (no DTC which supposed to be coming at some point)

The AI JTAC can't change their own laser code so until it can we have the ability to do it in the air... Player controlled can (with Combined Arms)

What happens IRL is the laser code is changed on the TPOD only from the pit and the code on the bomb from the ground.

• Thanks 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

LJDAM and Laser Maverick can both adjust the code electronically in flight. Others can't, since it's set by turning a bunch of screws, by the ground crew. That we can do it in the air is a limitation of the sim, which for a long time didn't have a better way to do it. Some module can use the kneeboard for that. Note, the MFD functions for setting the laser code do work IRL, but they're only used to tell the aircraft the code that is set on the bomb, since there's no way to read it electronically, either.

• Thanks 1

2022/1/2 AM3点20分,rob10说:

Can't guarantee it's all aircraft that shouldn't be able (I presume so), but for sure F-16 and F-18 anyway.  Not really a mistake on ED's part, just an acknowledged current limitation of the game not having an easy way to set it on the ground (no DTC which supposed to be coming at some point)

2022/1/2 AM4点44分,joey45说:

The AI JTAC can't change their own laser code so until it can we have the ability to do it in the air... Player controlled can (with Combined Arms)

What happens IRL is the laser code is changed on the TPOD only from the pit and the code on the bomb from the ground.

2022/1/2 AM7点23分,Dragon1-1说:

LJDAM and Laser Maverick can both adjust the code electronically in flight. Others can't, since it's set by turning a bunch of screws, by the ground crew. That we can do it in the air is a limitation of the sim, which for a long time didn't have a better way to do it. Some module can use the kneeboard for that. Note, the MFD functions for setting the laser code do work IRL, but they're only used to tell the aircraft the code that is set on the bomb, since there's no way to read it electronically, either.

Thanks for your answers, I get it now

• Like 1