8 JF17's delivered today to the PAF...

Rinz1er

8 minutes ago, Napillo said:

not sure what that is, do you mean motion camouflage?

It is how IR missiles are able to create some amount of lead without knowing range or target speed. It tries to maintain LOS from boresight after launch. As LOS changes, the missile reacts, making it pull more and more lead as it gets closer. Advanced proportional navigation is just using range data to change this angle for the most optimum path. Missiles in DCS that have this in real life started getting this about 3 years ago. I don’t think anything is pure pursuit unless it’s suppossed to be, like Tunguska and other SACLOS systems that only follow a single designated point. Even a lot of semi active laser guided weapons will use proportional navigation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportional_navigation

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

6 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

Some SAMs only have pure pursuit. For Tunguska and other SACLOS systems this is correct. I’m not sure SA-2 still on out has pure pursuit but the real SA-2 has pure pursuit as an option. Plenty of SAMs do have proportional navigation, the IR SAMs, the patriot, plenty will pull lead just not exact lead becuase it’s either proportional navigation or advanced proportional navigation using range informarion. SD-10 uses the same guidance principle 

As I understand it, SA-2 is pure pursuit if above the site (ballistic trajectory), otherwise it will track and lead if far away/low. DCS doesn't matter. I have had it fire into a mountain because while I was high enough to see the tracking RADAR the missiles were flying such that they were too low and didn't clear the terrain (they were firing pure even at 10 miles with me not-quite beaming).

Any other SAM I've seen launched at me also fires pure. I don't think DCS varies it at all.

SA-6 should come down from above depending, but they never do.

• Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 1 month later...

regarding the HMD, the HMD was developed in parallel with the JF-17, and it was tested on prototype 04, so it makes sense the hmd button would be there, and that it would have a HMD. Yes, the export ones don't include one by default, but is a separate buy from China - however, do you think that Pakistan didn't buy the upgrade for their own jets? of course they did.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, Napillo said:

regarding the HMD, the HMD was developed in parallel with the JF-17, and it was tested on prototype 04, so it makes sense the hmd button would be there, and that it would have a HMD. Yes, the export ones don't include one by default, but is a separate buy from China - however, do you think that Pakistan didn't buy the upgrade for their own jets? of course they did.

I wouldn’t be so sure, JF-17 being a budget plane has always driven its development. Pakistan does not have a strong economy, and on top of that JF-17 block 1/2 uses no missiles that were designed with HMD in mind like PL-10. It’s an easy budgeting decision to make and makes sense to me. There is no evidence of it being on any block 1 or 2 in service. More cost effective to just add everything for block III 

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg