Upgrade 3080 to 3080ti or 3090?

Willdass

Hello

I'm currently maxing out the 10GB of VRAM and found a pretty good deal on a 3080ti, it will only cost another additional 200$ if I sell my 3080 which I got early and to a "reasonable price"...

I am wondering, will the 12GB VRAM be enough for VR? Or should I just hang on to my 3080 and wait? Alternatively go for the 3090?

Se my full setup below.

BR.

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

I have a 3090 (which I got for RRP at launch) and I see upwards of 16GB of VRAM allocated, I have no way of knowing what the performance impact that would have on the game (as I havent got a spare 3080 to test against) , but I suspect you would not see a life changing difference between your 3080 and a 3090 and the cost of a TI or 90 is computable in numbers of mortgage payments.... my 10p

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks both! Greatly appreciate it!

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

You'll get more frames from tweaking your settings, i.e. match texture resolution to headset, lod bias etc

You may even get better visual quality with lower texture settings, higher lod bias and AF or SS, while reducing VRAM usage

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

• Like 1

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Some statistics I read, when comparing the 3090 to the 3080ti, generally seem to lean towards the 3080ti as being the best bang for money.... why go for the 3090 they say.

Are these tests that are linked in our VR discussions actually run in VR or pancake? Are they actually relevant to us?

Currently, I am waiting for the pricing madness to subside before I go for my much needed GPU upgrade. At this moment I desire a 3090.  Is the 3090 the king of VR or not?

For me getting the 3090 to use with VR is all about the RAM! Am I wrong? 

Is there a fatal error in my thought process?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

37 minutes ago, Rogue Trooper said:

Some statistics I read, when comparing the 3090 to the 3080ti, generally seem to lean towards the 3080ti as being the best bang for money.... why go for the 3090 they say.

Are these tests that are linked in our VR discussions actually run in VR or pancake? Are they actually relevant to us?

Currently, I am waiting for the pricing madness to subside before I go for my much needed GPU upgrade. At this moment I desire a 3090.  Is the 3090 the king of VR or not?

Yes the 3090 is king currently for VR especially considering the VRAM.

Unfortunately DCS still needs more.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

I'm definitely in agreement with you about VR benefitting from more VRAM.  I don't think that the linked benchmark is necessarily going to be relevant to VR.  All I can say is that I love my 3090 in DCS on my G2.  Not sure if someone upgrading from a 3080 to a 3080ti or even a 3090 would be worth the extra cash outlay though.  The only way to know for sure would be to see a DCS VR benchmark between the 3 cards on the same system, with all the same test conditions.  Otherwise, all anybody can do is make guesses based on what seems logical.  Even benchmarks can be misleading, because you don't know how much a better performance number is going to translate into a noticeable, visual improvement.  You have no way of knowing if you're going to end up with the reaction of "THIS is what I spent all that money on?!!"  The law of diminishing returns I guess.  I almost talked myself into not getting a 3090 because it was taking so long to get one, even started to rationalize that it wasn't going to be any better than my 2080ti.  I'm glad I didn't stay in that mindset...it definitely made a big difference with how much harder I can push things.

Edited by eaglecash867
  • Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I was in a cold war server maxed out with 55 pilots/VR and my 3090 was pushing 16-18gb in areas with a lot of things going on with no issues stutters ect. For me now the more memory the card has I’m in … but that’s just me.

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

To add to the above:

- Have you disabled the "home" that you see when you use your VR headset?  Both Oculus and Steam have them, and each of them consume around 2GB of VRAM.  You can disable those homes in the settings for the software

- I got the impression that DCS will "reserve" whatever VRAM is available, regardless of how much is available.  How much DCS genuinely needs?  Who knows.  ED did run a poll fairly recently, and the the most common amount of VRAM identified by the poll was 8GB, which might mean that ED are designing requirements based upon that.

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I went with the 3090, because I wanted more VRAM for VR.  I spend about 90% of the time on my VR rig, flying DCS, followed by the other combat sim and M$.  I count my blessing's that I was able to score a 3090FE at MSRP.  No way in heck I'd reward scalpers.

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I was thrilled when it was mentioned on this forum that EVGA had a waiting list I could get on for the 3090.  I think it took about 9 months for my place in line to come up, but it did, and I didn't have to reward scalpers either.  MAN what a LONG wait though.:sleep:

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

48 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

I was thrilled when it was mentioned on this forum that EVGA had a waiting list I could get on for the 3090.  I think it took about 9 months for my place in line to come up, but it did, and I didn't have to reward scalpers either.  MAN what a LONG wait though.:sleep:

9 months, holy smokes! 

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 1/4/2022 at 5:49 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

To add to the above:

- Have you disabled the "home" that you see when you use your VR headset?  Both Oculus and Steam have them, and each of them consume around 2GB of VRAM.  You can disable those homes in the settings for the software

- I got the impression that DCS will "reserve" whatever VRAM is available, regardless of how much is available.  How much DCS genuinely needs?  Who knows.  ED did run a poll fairly recently, and the the most common amount of VRAM identified by the poll was 8GB, which might mean that ED are designing requirements based upon that.

When you refer to disabling Oculus “home”, what are you referring to and how does one do that? Haven’t come across this one to my knowledge. 

Thanks

On 1/4/2022 at 10:32 PM, eaglecash867 said:

I'm definitely in agreement with you about VR benefitting from more VRAM.  I don't think that the linked benchmark is necessarily going to be relevant to VR.  All I can say is that I love my 3090 in DCS on my G2.  Not sure if someone upgrading from a 3080 to a 3080ti or even a 3090 would be worth the extra cash outlay though.  The only way to know for sure would be to see a DCS VR benchmark between the 3 cards on the same system, with all the same test conditions.  Otherwise, all anybody can do is make guesses based on what seems logical.  Even benchmarks can be misleading, because you don't know how much a better performance number is going to translate into a noticeable, visual improvement.  You have no way of knowing if you're going to end up with the reaction of "THIS is what I spent all that money on?!!"  The law of diminishing returns I guess.  I almost talked myself into not getting a 3090 because it was taking so long to get one, even started to rationalize that it wasn't going to be any better than my 2080ti.  I'm glad I didn't stay in that mindset...it definitely made a big difference with how much harder I can push things.

That is good news, I am happy with my 2080ti (with some graphical sacrifices), I am surprised how well it runs with the G2... but it is time to upgrade to the 3090.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Personally , i'm holding off further upgrades pending the upcoming Vulkan/muticore engine . It has become clear that it is DCS itself , not hardware that is the bottleneck .

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

3 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

When you refer to disabling Oculus “home”, what are you referring to and how does one do that? Haven’t come across this one to my knowledge. 

Thanks

In the oculus desktop app, go to setting / general and turn off "Automatically Launch Oculus Home".

• Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 1/6/2022 at 5:30 PM, Svsmokey said:

Personally , i'm holding off further upgrades pending the upcoming Vulkan/muticore engine . It has become clear that it is DCS itself , not hardware that is the bottleneck .

Hi Svsmokey,

I would also like to do that too!

But how long are we going to wait for the software upgrades?

And once we get the software updates, is the 3090 going to be better with those upgrades and the pain of purchase for the 3090 well behind me?

I am in the final questions & answers with my computer manufacturer as they offer an upgrade path that offers an acceptable amount of pain for my addiction.

My finger is stroking the Trigger and I am waiting for a reason not to squeeze the trigger.... but none are really coming up.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bit the bullet and went for the 3080ti because it comes in low hash rate version which doesn’t affect me but the crypto miners don’t want it. The 3090 does not have a LHR version and so although it can provide a tiny improvement in performance when VRAM is a problem. The price difference is almost entirely unjustified. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:32 PM, eaglecash867 said:

Thank you eaglecash867.

I was very hesitant to pull the trigger on the 64 gig Ram and 3090 upgrade. It is a vast sum of money to invest in my only game and it was a very difficult decision to make.

After your input, I squeezed the trigger and the hammer dropped onto the firing pin.

With my original 2080ti graphical DCS settings, it is quite unbelievable what the 3090 gives. Damascus and Lebanon full fluid fast manoeuvrability in the Hind.... no stutter in a low hard left yaw hover over Umayyin square. Solid 45 fps yaw turning over the presidential palace as the "city total" horizontally slid by.... smoothly and cleanly... never dropping below 45.... impressive indeed! 

The channel map in the Hind.... Oh my!

Before this, the channel map was a dream in the HUEY!   

My original reason for buying the 3090 was to get the HP G2 up to full rez (SS 100%), but I am not so sure that is a priority now.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1