Upgrade 3080 to 3080ti or 3090?

Willdass

16 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

Thank you eaglecash867.

I was very hesitant to pull the trigger on the 64 gig Ram and 3090 upgrade. It is a vast sum of money to invest in my only game and it was a very difficult decision to make.

After your input, I squeezed the trigger and the hammer dropped onto the firing pin.

With my original 2080ti graphical DCS settings, it is quite unbelievable what the 3090 gives. Damascus and Lebanon full fluid fast manoeuvrability in the Hind.... no stutter in a low hard left yaw hover over Umayyin square. Solid 45 fps yaw turning over the presidential palace as the "city total" horizontally slid by.... smoothly and cleanly... never dropping below 45.... impressive indeed! 

The channel map in the Hind.... Oh my!

Before this, the channel map was a dream in the HUEY!   

My original reason for buying the 3090 was to get the HP G2 up to full rez (SS 100%), but I am not so sure that is a priority now.

Glad you're happy with your decision Rogue Trooper.

With the 3090, sometimes I'll fly the A-10C on the Nevada map and think "Huh...now I'm not seeing an occasional split image as my wingman flies by me when we're attacking targets...wonder if a new update made that happen..."  But, after getting out of DCS, I pull up my reprojection settings and find out the lack of ghosting was because I had just flown an entire mission with no motion reprojection at all.  I had forgotten to turn it back on after watching a 3D Blu Ray with the G2.  Couldn't have done that with the 2080ti.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Where did you get the 3090?  Did you have to pay scalper prices or buy it from a legit outlet for normal price?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

59 minutes ago, DerekSpeare said:

Where did you get the 3090?  Did you have to pay scalper prices or buy it from a legit outlet for normal price?

I got on the waiting list at EVGA, and it took 9 months for my turn to come up.  Paid a normal price for it, and they didn't take money up-front.  It was a great thing...just wish it hadn't taken so long.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

6 minutes ago, stormrider said:

What is a normal price anyways?

Not $3500.00+ like the scalpers were trying to get. 

On 2/12/2022 at 5:34 PM, DerekSpeare said:

I bought it from chillblast, UK. They originally built my gaming PC and I asked if I could get it as an upgrade path. 

price was acceptable compared to what I was seeing on the internet as a private purchase.

The only down side was that I had to accept whatever they had in stock at the time.... which is fine for me and the price I had to pay!

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, eaglecash867 said:

Glad you're happy with your decision Rogue Trooper.

With the 3090, sometimes I'll fly the A-10C on the Nevada map and think "Huh...now I'm not seeing an occasional split image as my wingman flies by me when we're attacking targets...wonder if a new update made that happen..."  But, after getting out of DCS, I pull up my reprojection settings and find out the lack of ghosting was because I had just flown an entire mission with no motion reprojection at all.  I had forgotten to turn it back on after watching a 3D Blu Ray with the G2.  Couldn't have done that with the 2080ti.

It is very nice to have all the maps as flyable.

Of course I am currently flying Steam SS @ 50% and 2 x Msaa..... but it is very nice to have head room above 45fps to play with.

I expect as the steam SS increases towards 100% I can say goodbye to a few maps.... which is fine, as long as I can hold onto Syria and all lower maps..... I would like to hold onto Beirut running at a smooth 45fps though.

But that is for the future, for now I am ready for Apache delivery.... everything else is rescinded. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

41 minutes ago, Rogue Trooper said:

I expect as the steam SS increases towards 100% I can say goodbye to a few maps.... which is fine, as long as I can hold onto Syria and all lower maps..... I would like to hold onto Beirut running at a smooth 45fps though.

You might be surprised, jumping from 50% to 100% is only a couple of ms difference in frametimes. You should be able to run 100% all day long.

I can run 130% with vrperfkit fsr@0.75 and still pull over 50fps over Beirut, turn on MSAA and it's closer to 45 when at 500 feet. Your machine should be quite capable of the resolution bump, it's not a linear relationship to performance.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

14 minutes ago, edmuss said:

You might be surprised, jumping from 50% to 100% is only a couple of ms difference in frametimes. You should be able to run 100% all day long.

I can run 130% with vrperfkit fsr@0.75 and still pull over 50fps over Beirut, turn on MSAA and it's closer to 45 when at 500 feet. Your machine should be quite capable of the resolution bump, it's not a linear relationship to performance.

I am starting to read about settings in the forum, is 0.75 a setting in vrperfkit?

Yup, the vrperfkit has a number of options for upscaling the vr image. It renders at the ratio and then upscales to the render target resolution (steamvr resolution).

Up to now most people have been running it at steamvr 100% but it has been shown that if you can feed it more pixels before upscaling you get a better image quality which reduces the shimmer. Sweet spot seems to be 120-130% and then render scale of 0.7-0.8.

Easy instant action A10C on Caucasus I can get more than 60fps (frametimes below 16ms) for the entire mission unless I drop a bomb and the crater bug dropped it to around 50-55fps. Syria at 4000 feet over the Bekaa valley gives about 15ms. I do have enough headroom to turn on MSAA as well which really smoothes out the image.

Note that I run the reverb at 60hz so I have headroom down to 33fps before motion smoothing turns off.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• 7 months later...

I wonder if meanwhile someone has upgraded from a 3080 to a 3090 and can share his/here experience? I am running DCS on a 3080 in VR just fine, but I need to lower the ground textures on the Syria map. 

Prices for a 3090 are quite reasonable at the moment, and it seems that waiting for the ridiculously expensive 40xx cards makes no sense, at least in DCS where we do not have raytracing etc.

Thanks folks!

Intel Core i5-12600KF, 6x 3.60 GHz, 4xE, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, Windows 11. VR in Reverb G2 and Oculus Quest 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2022 at 8:35 AM, Thomas_LOLW said:

I wonder if meanwhile someone has upgraded from a 3080 to a 3090 and can share his/here experience? I am running DCS on a 3080 in VR just fine, but I need to lower the ground textures on the Syria map. 

Prices for a 3090 are quite reasonable at the moment, and it seems that waiting for the ridiculously expensive 40xx cards makes no sense, at least in DCS where we do not have raytracing etc.

Thanks folks!

I upgraded from a 3080 to a 3090, and are still in the tweaking phase. Can't really say its the card that makes the improvement. Looks like tweaking the settings made the improvement.

• Like 1