Operation Hormuz Freedom. DCS AV-8B Harrier campaign

SorelRo

January 29th, 2002, US President George W. Bush in his State of the Union address, less than five months after the 9/11 attacks described Iran, Iraq, and North Korea as the axis of evil. As a retaliatory measure Iran is forming a political alliance that is called the “Axis of Resistance” comprising Iran, Syria, and Hezbollah.

On February the 1st Iran is launching SCUD missiles aimed at the bases hosting US forces in the Gulf declaring that any military flights from the bases in the Persian Gulf will be prosecuted by more missile attacks that will endanger the civilian population. Also, as of January 1st Iran declares that will blockade the Straight of Hormuz and no traffic under the flags of US, Great Britain, France, and Australia will be allowed to pass through the straight.

As a response the US President George W. Bush is tasking the US Carrier group in the area to enforce the freedom of high seas act and break the blockade and allow traffic through the Straight of Hormuz. The states in the Persian Gulf are not allowing any military out of the US bases in the Persian Gulf, however, AWACS and re-fueling flights are still allowed to operate. US Navy and US Marines will have to carry the load without any support from the US Airforce.

The Russian President Vladimir Putin declared that the US forces should withdraw from the Persian Gulf and not interfere in the global politics in the Gulf. The presence of the Kuznetsov Carrier group visiting the ports of Iran will add an increased level complications in the area. The Iranians asking the Russians for help in the emerging conflict.

You are stationed on board the LHA-1 USS Tarawa as part of the VMA-513 the Flying Nightmares, operating the newly modernized AV-8B Harrier. The Squadron has been briefed on the January 1st and preparing for action starting January 3rd as they pass through the Straight of Hormuz.   

The campaign will require the AV-8B module (obviously), The Persian Gulf Map, and the Supercarrier. The trailer is available for your enjoyment here: 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, horstweihrauch said:

Wow, that trailer could be of a real Movie😎

That's what I keep telling Dominik, the video creator, he should try to do a bigger production. His Vietnam movies are awesome. Totally recommend following him and his channel.  

• Like 4

It is not a training campaign. My assumption is that you know how to operate all systems and can deliver weapons in the Harrier. It doesn't require AAR specifically except for one mission but I included a workaround. I would say that the difficulty is medium, depending on how familiar you are with the airplane. 

• Thanks 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any reason why supercarrier module is required for this campaign? I mean since the Harrier mainly operates from Tarawa, any chance to just use the free Stennis instead to save cost for potential buyers who don't own / doesn't want to purchase supercarrier module?

Unfortunately it's AI. AI behaves differently on the Stennis, getting stuck more often than on the SC. I was contemplating to have two versions but it becomes impossible to test after each update, then having to fix things in different ways. You will operate in a task force, there is a need for F-14's and F-18's to cover your back. I can magically make them appear as needed but it breaks immersion, especially on some missions when you take off from Tarawa and you get to see the launch from the SC, during night operations, as you clean your aircraft. I understand that I may loose some customers, but, it is what it is. It's not like I'm doing this go get rich or something like this. 🙂  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 3:01 AM, SorelRo said:

.. two versions but it becomes impossible to test after each update, then having to fix things in different ways...

Support and maintenance through the lifecycle of the software is often grossly underestimated and often, as well, are the source of difficult decisions. 

Can't wait for this campaign! Hopefully we will get it in the next patch! 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Relatively new to the Harrier so just picked this up and played through the first mission, really good! But there are a lot of bullseye calls, and I can't for the life of me work out how to use this info effectively in the Harrier. The Hornet is easy in this regard. I've had a quick search around and can't see anything obvious for the AV8.

Edit...I found one YT vid, but it's in German, and my German is non-existent. Anyone have any links for some good tutorials on effective bullseye use in the AV8?

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

28 minutes ago, zildac said:

Relatively new to the Harrier so just picked this up and played through the first mission, really good! But there are a lot of bullseye calls, and I can't for the life of me work out how to use this info effectively in the Harrier. The Hornet is easy in this regard. I've had a quick search around and can't see anything obvious for the AV8.

Edit...I found one YT vid, but it's in German, and my German is non-existent. Anyone have any links for some good tutorials on effective bullseye use in the AV8?

I haven't had a chance to fly it yet (DCS crashing after the patch....) so I don't know if the Bullseye is already loaded as a waypoint, if not load it and the use offset waypoints from the waypoint that matches the bullseye.  Can't recall if waypoint creation / offset is covered in the manual already but it should be easier to find tutorials for that.

• Like 2

I haven't had a chance to fly it yet (DCS crashing after the patch....) so I don't know if the Bullseye is already loaded as a waypoint, if not load it and the use offset waypoints from the waypoint that matches the bullseye.  Can't recall if waypoint creation / offset is covered in the manual already but it should be easier to find tutorials for that.
Many thanks, will have a read up. I've used the same procedure in the Hornet so hopefully it'll be reasonably intuitive.
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

5 hours ago, zildac said:
5 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Many thanks, will have a read up. I've used the same procedure in the Hornet so hopefully it'll be reasonably intuitive.

Read Chucks Guide page 433. Come on dudes! Get with the Harrier Program!!! 😉 Just kidding around fellas, it looks to me like the Bullseye is listed in the briefing so I believe it needs to be entered as a new waypoint and then use the W O/S mode off of your newly entered waypoint to utilize the bullseye callouts. I actually had to refer to the CG myself for the Harrier as its been a long time since I've dealt with the offset command.👌

Edited by Gunnar81
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gunnar81 said:

Read Chucks Guide page 433. Come on dudes! Get with the Harrier Program!!! 😉 Just kidding around fellas, it looks to me like the Bullseye is listed in the briefing so I believe it needs to be entered as a new waypoint and then use the W O/S mode off of your newly entered waypoint to utilize the bullseye callouts. I actually had to refer to the CG myself for the Harrier as its been a long time since I've dealt with the offset command.👌

Thanks 🙂 Yup, I worked it out 👍

Edit:

As an aside, I couldn't enter the BE (for Mission 2)  LAT/LONG given on the knee board. I had to round up the LAT in order for it not to reset to 00.00'00 when entered, could be something I'm doing wrong.

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gunnar81 said:

How could I forgot Chuck's Guide... SHAME SHAME SHAME

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zildac said:

Thanks 🙂 Yup, I worked it out 👍

Edit:

As an aside, I couldn't enter the BE (for Mission 2)  LAT/LONG given on the knee board. I had to round up the LAT in order for it not to reset to 00.00'00 when entered, could be something I'm doing wrong.

I'll check, I may have put it wrong in the briefing. Unfortunately I'm away from my home for the next 10 days or so. This campaign was launched when I was flying out. Timing sucks sometimes. 

• Like 1

I'll check, I may have put it wrong in the briefing. Unfortunately I'm away from my home for the next 10 days or so. This campaign was launched when I was flying out. Timing sucks sometimes. 
Many thanks. I'm trying to use the vakue from the kneeboard page.