Operation Hormuz Freedom. DCS AV-8B Harrier campaign

SorelRo

17 hours ago, zildac said:

Thanks 🙂 Yup, I worked it out 👍

Edit:

As an aside, I couldn't enter the BE (for Mission 2)  LAT/LONG given on the knee board. I had to round up the LAT in order for it not to reset to 00.00'00 when entered, could be something I'm doing wrong.

It looks like in the mission briefs he's got the BullsEye in a Degrees 'Decimal Minutes' format so that has to be converted to DegreesMinutesSeconds for enter into the Harrier which in this case would be N26°09'58" & E056°14'21". Try that and see if it works.

Edited by Gunnar81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

hhhmmm..... Seems that all the (pdf) briefings have the coordinated in degrees and decimal minutes with some MGRS sprinkle here and there (skimmed all of them, read the first one)... I haven't started flying the campaign yet, so I hope that having them in a coordinates system not digestible by the Harrier is not an issue ... Hate to do that much math in my head while in VR 😄 

Have to say, really enjoying this campaign so far even though I am finding it hard as a new Harrier "pilot". I hadn't appreciated quite how many night missions there would be but I guess the clue is in the NAme 😀

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 2:11 PM, zildac said:

Relatively new to the Harrier so just picked this up and played through the first mission, really good! But there are a lot of bullseye calls, and I can't for the life of me work out how to use this info effectively in the Harrier. The Hornet is easy in this regard. I've had a quick search around and can't see anything obvious for the AV8.

Edit...I found one YT vid, but it's in German, and my German is non-existent. Anyone have any links for some good tutorials on effective bullseye use in the AV8?

Bullseye data is shown on the HUD in the lower left.  You have to visualize in you head your position vs the Bullseye calls, but I was able to use that data to fly in the right general direction to find the ships.   Really liked using this functionality in the mission - hadn't used it previously, felt realistic.  

On 4/2/2022 at 11:15 AM, Draken35 said:

Made myself a kneeboard card with the decimal to seconds conversion.... Too lazy to do the math on my head

Ah, that's great.  I was wondering how Harrier pilots did this, if they were doing math in their head all the time trying to convert decimal to traditional Lat/Long.  Seems that it would be a recipe for errors, particularly in sensitive CAS operations.  

5 minutes ago, Istari6 said:

Ah, that's great.  I was wondering how Harrier pilots did this, if they were doing math in their head all the time trying to convert decimal to traditional Lat/Long.  Seems that it would be a recipe for errors, particularly in sensitive CAS operations.  

I'm sure they received the coordinates in a format that the plane can digest. MGRS most likely

1 hour ago, Draken35 said:

I'm sure they received the coordinates in a format that the plane can digest. MGRS most likely

How do you input MGRS into the system?  I'm only familiar with creating a new Waypoint (EHSRD>DATA>WP 77>etc.) and entering Lat/Long via ODU POS.

Edited by Istari6

14 minutes ago, Istari6 said:

How do you input MGRS into the system?  I'm only familiar with creating a new Waypoint (EHSRD>DATA>WP 77>etc.) and entering Lat/Long via ODU POS.

A bit of topic but with the UTM option in the ODU ...The rest is the same ... Check page 420 of the manual.

• Like 1

Exactly

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On the other side the conversion is trivial, it consists in multiplying the décimal part by 60, in others words by 10 and 6...I guess that pilots can do this kind of opération during a mission...

Edited by titi31

56 minutes ago, titi31 said:

On the other side the conversion is trivial, it consists in multiplying the décimal part by 60, in others words by 10 and 6...I guess that pilots can do this kind of opération during a mission...

Conversion is indeed trivial but also an unnecessary source of errors and unnecessary workload in the cockpit ... Why giving in the wrong format anyway? Whoever is giving the pre mission briefing to the pilots should know better and provide the information in the right format... In the case of the Bullseye position, the issue, is even worse! That information should be preloaded in the plane !

Sure, that information could be given ad hoc by a JTAC (why not in MGRS, grunt speak, metric?) to identify a target or a reference point of sorts and, in this case, sure enough, it is a necessary conversion but, definitely not the case here...

• Like 1