VR Seems Strange

Lowlyslows

Hey all!

First, I am not a computer wiz by any means. I can build one but all the magic that happens inside is greek to me. Also, sorry for double spacing, I can't figure out how to go single space.

My Setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.60 GHz

RAM: 32.0 GB of Dominator

GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti

Mother Board: ASROCK X570 Taichi

Power Supply: 750 Watt

VR Headset: Oculus Quest 2 with Oculus Link Cable

Issue, it seems like my GPU is being under utilized. My FPS drops to the 20s and both my CPU and GPU are low with regards to percentages. Wouldn't my GPU start to ramp up to keep up with the FPS demand? See picture. 

Low GPU Utilization.JPG

Edited by Lowlyslows

18 hours ago, Lowlyslows said:

Also, sorry for double spacing, I can't figure out how to go single space.

Shift-Enter

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

CPU usage will be low because DCS is largely single threaded, essentially the more cores you have, the less usage you'll see until the multicore engine upgrades are rolled out in the future.

What settings are you running at in DCS?

Set the headset resolution to 100% and PD1.0 in DCS, set the VR preset to get a baseline and see what it's doing. Don't know what performance tools the quest has for displaying frametimes in the headset but it's incredibly useful to be able to do so.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I don't know on the quest unless you're driving it through steamvr (which I believe is much slower than natively through the Oculus app) in which case you say the render resolution in the steamvr settings menu.

Thinking back to when I ran my Oculus dk2, the Oculus tray tool had a supersampling option, set it to 1 and you're at 100%, set it at 2 and you're at 200% etc.

Edit: @Lowlyslowslooking back at your screenshot, the fps is recording as 20 but your render time is 10.2ms which is 98fps (1000 / 10.2) and your core clock and memory speeds seem in the right ballpark. I think the fps shown is a red herring.

Press right ctrl + pause on the keyboard whilst in flight and it should give you the current fps in the top left corner of the view.

Assuming my understanding of how the quest works is correct....

If you're below 90fps then it should step down to 45fps as asw (motion smoothing) switches on to synthetically interpolate frames to keep the image smooth. Whilst asw is engaged it should stay at 45fps, if you're above the 90fps refresh rate then it should stay at 90fps even though the frametimes can be lower.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

2 hours ago, ishamppl said:

@edmuss Thanks for that insight as I'm having similar issues. Question: Where do I find the option to set the headset resolution to 100%? I've seen that suggested before I can never find that setting. Thanks! 

You go to the Oculus PC app. Select devices. Assuming your Quest is connected to the PC there will be a ticked green circle. Click the arrow and scroll the resulting window down to 'graphics preferences'. Here you can set refresh rate and rendered resolution. To get 1:1 pixel (maximum quality) rendering on the Quest you need to move the slider far right. This will render the image at native resolution in the centre of the display panel.

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

On 1/2/2022 at 8:09 AM, edmuss said:

CPU usage will be low because DCS is largely single threaded, essentially the more cores you have, the less usage you'll see until the multicore engine upgrades are rolled out in the future.

What settings are you running at in DCS?

Set the headset resolution to 100% and PD1.0 in DCS, set the VR preset to get a baseline and see what it's doing. Don't know what performance tools the quest has for displaying frametimes in the headset but it's incredibly useful to be able to do so.

Hey Edmuss,

Attached are my DCS, Oculus Graphics Settings, and Oculus Debug Tool settings.

DCS Settings.JPG

Oculus Settings.JPG

Oculus DBT Settings.JPG

You are CPU limited. 8 cores-> DCS uses one thread ->1/8 ~13%.

Make sure there is nothing else in the background running. RGB software, anti malware, bloatware etc.

Did you overclock your CPU? If you applied a simple multiplier for all cores you likely slowed it down on Ryzen.

Now that is odd, my CPU (6c12t) normally has about 30-40% usage and GPU at 95%+. Could you be bottlenecked by the Oculus link? Presuming you're on WiFi is your pc simply waiting to send the info to the headset?

Perhaps try reducing the pixel density and see if it allows more to go through. I think the pixel density of 1.4 would equate to a 200% render resolution which is going to be trying to transmit a hell of a lot of data over the WiFi. Think of it as trying to empty a swimming pool through a hose or emptying a bucket through a hose, which is going to be faster?

edit 1: ah just saw you're on the link cable, perhaps there's a maximum recommended throughout or settings that can be changed to improve the throughput.

edit 2: a quick bit of googling, see the response by nalex66 at the end of page 1 of this thread, mentions performance loss when using a bitrate of 500. Perhaps try reducing it and see if that helps?

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Quest-2-and-Quest/Question-about-Oculus-Link-bandwidth/td-p/861094

Edited by edmuss