Mission 2 + 3 Experiences

Flew Mission 2 part A. Great mission again!

Fantastic script, really educational and I like the back and forth very much.

A few items I noticed (time stamps and chapter markers included below)

1:06:30 Steerpoint toggle switch (using it is not practical while in VR and Steerpoints are displayed in the HUD)
1:18:52 FL displays a bizar braking power to get in Trail (which he already was in) I wish I could use this!
1:37:55 Instructed to contact ground, changed freq but the contact did not happen (probably pushed the spacebar too early)
1:39:45 Departure hold short voice-over started again?!

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Having a couple issues with Mission 03: Navigation part 2

I've tried to get through it 5 times now and I always get hung up, seems to be missing some trigger(s)

Start mission and get all the way to myself taking off. Head toward truck stop waiting for 2 to announce "rolling..." never happens, I switch to F2 view of his aircraft and he's sitting there at the hold short line. This has happened 3 times now.

Once, while circling back to see if he would ever take off, I see a message on screen "you can take off now"

yeah.... ok

Next, after finally getting him actually take off and follow me to wp 2, we get past the banter about the callsigns, the mountain/trees while heading to wp 3 and Creech... then nothing. I continue to follow the waypoints all the way to Tonopah....nothing. Even tried flying the waypoints in reverse.

nope

Is there no way to save progress and continue later...very frustrating to get through almost an hour in and have this happen.

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

11 hours ago, Sr. said:

Is there no way to save progress and continue later...very frustrating to get through almost an hour in and have this happen.

There is no saving functionality available unfortunately.

Did you follow the script?

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

There are some issues with the whole taxi logic at Nellis it seems, although I was not able to reproduce this particular issue with take off. 

As for moving on with the script, everything worked as well last time I checked. Also nobody else reported this, and some people finished the campaign.. but I will have a look, maybe there is a way to make it more straightforward- sorry for the trouble you are experiencing!

In worst case scenario, skip this mission and go to next one, then if there is a solution found go back to nav1. The heavy lifting on navigation is in part 2 anyway.

Cheers!

• Like 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I tried Mission 2 part 2 and had big issues as well.

The first time I waited for 2 to pass me by at the parking, I followed him, did my thing at the hold short line, he took off and while I was taking off he dissapeared pooof! in thin air. (I was watching him in the HMCS and he completely dissapeared from the TAD as well as visual). I flew around a bit looking for a possible crash site and saw a big smoke pile(couple of miles down the end of the runway, what looked like a crashed hog. But this was not him, because this crash site was there already before he took off (I watched the video back)

Second time I did not wait for 2 and took off first. This time 2 passed the holding short line but was waiting to turn onto the runway. I circled a bit waiting for him to start going, but it did not happen. He kept just standing there.

I assumed it had something to do with a bad trigger so thought to just drive around him on the taxiway to see if this would wake him up. I turned around, landed on 21R and while I passed the runway treshold 2 started rolling! So there is a trigger on the wrong runway I guess. I rolled out on 21R, took taxiway A and took off again on 03R. Once wheels up again 2 dissapeared in thin air. 

screenshot.486.jpg

Edited by Ready

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

• Ready changed the title to Mission 2 experiences

I finished mission 2 last night. I'll try to do part 2 tonight if I get time after work.

I didn't seem to have any issues with the AI not taxiing. There were a few times where he would be somewhat slow but by the time I got to the runway he was behind me.

I don't know if triggers get messed up if you taxi too fast. I always keep ground speed at or below 15 the whole way to the runway.

After take off I set autopilot to path and keep 5 degree pitch up with 180 knots. Flight lead always seems to catch up by the time I am half way to waypoint 1, sometimes by waypoint 2 he's making his way in trail.

The only time I had an issue was mission 1 where he can't land on the first try so he does a circle right before the runway and lands on the second attempt..after that he just seemed to already be in his parking spot on Thunder ramp.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

16 hours ago, Ready said:

There is no saving functionality available unfortunately.

Did you follow the script?

Several times 🙂

Tried again last night and before I reached the truck stop and realize he still sitting there, I circled back and had just passed over the NASCAR track and he announces "rolling."

🤨

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

17 hours ago, Sr. said:

Having a couple issues with Mission 03: Navigation part 2

I've tried to get through it 5 times now and I always get hung up, seems to be missing some trigger(s)

Start mission and get all the way to myself taking off. Head toward truck stop waiting for 2 to announce "rolling..." never happens, I switch to F2 view of his aircraft and he's sitting there at the hold short line. This has happened 3 times now.

Once, while circling back to see if he would ever take off, I see a message on screen "you can take off now"

yeah.... ok

Next, after finally getting him actually take off and follow me to wp 2, we get past the banter about the callsigns, the mountain/trees while heading to wp 3 and Creech... then nothing. I continue to follow the waypoints all the way to Tonopah....nothing. Even tried flying the waypoints in reverse.

nope

>> Is there no way to save progress and continue later...very frustrating to get through almost an hour in and have this happen. <<

Due to time constraints and lack of save function, if I die, or a trigger screws up or something, I replay the track, speed it waaaay up, then hit take control to retry where things went wrong. It's sort of a really sloppy save game feature. It doesn't progress your campaign, but I just note my score, hit 'skip' in the campaign menu, then edit my new score into my log book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Akir Nakesh said:

>> Is there no way to save progress and continue later...very frustrating to get through almost an hour in and have this happen. <<

Due to time constraints and lack of save function, if I die, or a trigger screws up or something, I replay the track, speed it waaaay up, then hit take control to retry where things went wrong. It's sort of a really sloppy save game feature. It doesn't progress your campaign, but I just note my score, hit 'skip' in the campaign menu, then edit my new score into my log book.

I'll give that a shot.

--Arthur C Clark

From what I have noticed there are issues with AI taxi and take off logic at Nellis, which also affects several missions of the Red Flag campaign. The only thing that seems to work is to make sure you do not taxi too fast for the AI to follow. And never let it take off first, this will surely break the script. 

I will look into this, but the fact that quite a few people said they never experienced the problems you guys describe makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Also I cannot reproduce it at my end - Biff taxies as he should. Will investigate further. 

I think I mentioned the same thing, as long as you keep 14-15 knots ground speed while taxing to the runway, this is probably why I never experienced it.

Also on take off I usually set 5 degree pitch up and hold 180knots pretty strictly..use the path autopilot if you need until you get to 5000 feet. Also helps with needing to change radio frequencies while you are supposed to be climbing.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

2 hours ago, baltic_dragon said:

The only thing that seems to work is to make sure you do not taxi too fast for the AI to follow. And never let it take off first, this will surely break the script. 

This might actually be very important information for every player who tries this campaign. A simple instruction like 'make sure you taxi and take off before Biff' would really help.

On another note; Even though Biff is very helpful I somehow can't stop thinking of the infamous Biff..

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

• Ready changed the title to Mission 2 + 3 Experiences
On 1/6/2022 at 2:52 PM, baltic_dragon said:

From what I have noticed there are issues with AI taxi and take off logic at Nellis, which also affects several missions of the Red Flag campaign. The only thing that seems to work is to make sure you do not taxi too fast for the AI to follow. And never let it take off first, this will surely break the script. 

I will look into this, but the fact that quite a few people said they never experienced the problems you guys describe makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Also I cannot reproduce it at my end - Biff taxies as he should. Will investigate further. 

Just want to add another report of the same issues. I have tried Mission 3, Nav 2 multiple times now. The last time making 100% sure that my taxi speed was low (12-15 GS). Biff is taxiing after me at a reasonable pace, but after takeoff he just sits waiting for a long time. I got a message from Tower to switch to Departure, and there I announced an intention of turning over Truck Stop, and after this Biff would take off and catch up to fly in formation. Did not get any further instructions though, even though flying through waypoints 2, 3 etc.

I assume Biff would take off much sooner right behind me, and give some context to the intended turn at Truck Stop. There was also ample time to get into discussing waypoints etc, but only silence, like it never triggered; maybe because I was too far ahead when he would catch up...

Is there any way to see the actual trigger points/sequence? Just so I could figure out where I went wrong...

Other than that, Great missions and a lot of detail and experience presented in a relaxed and well paced manner, for someone already somewhat accustomed to the A10-C II 🙂 Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Got past mission 2 part 2 now. What I had to do is circle around after taking off. I first made a left turn over the speedway on to waypoint 2 but that did not trigger Biff to take off. So I circled back to Nellis and flew over the runway. He was standing there at the hold short line. I turned toward runway heading and then I saw Biff start rolling down the runway and he took off.

After that I just went towards truck stop and turned left when the voiceover came through that I am making a left to 248 over truck stop. The rest of the mission played out fine.

When I landed at Topenah I tried to contact ground. The text says 127.5 but I could not get that on the VHF radio for some reason. After I made a right off the runway the voiceover said 127.25 but that also did not trigger any voiceover. Not sure if I entered it correctly as the VHF has something like 1 2 7 .0 .00 available inputs so I couldn't tell whether I should have been on 1 2 7 . 0 . 25 or 127 . 5 . 00. Either way I parked somewhere and shutdown and I still got 100%.

Track file is too large to upload here but here is a drive link to it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tsqpR5lgM24mMRLO1wXgrAWMzjLMOenf/view?usp=sharing

2 took a little shortcut on his taxi back to Thunder 😆

Screenshot 2022-01-08 213542.png

--Arthur C Clark

5 hours ago, Sr. said:

2 took a little shortcut on his taxi back to Thunder 😆

Yeah he did that with me too. I guess he drives an offroad

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

This is a DCS bug that ED is now aware, we found the issue - if you don't use  the stock ATC, AI thinks it has no clearance for takeoff or land. This is why Biff waits so long after player is airborne. Easy workaround until this is fixed is to just tune to normal ATC and ask for takeoff clearance before working with the custom ATC. A pain, but pretty easy to do. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, baltic_dragon said:

This is a DCS bug that ED is now aware, we found the issue - if you don't use  the stock ATC, AI thinks it has no clearance for takeoff or land. This is why Biff waits so long after player is airborne. Easy workaround until this is fixed is to just tune to normal ATC and ask for takeoff clearance before working with the custom ATC. A pain, but pretty easy to do. 

Nice find! Yeah this should work. If I remember correctly I asked for clearance before from AI-ATC and Biff took off, but I did get the voice-over stepping on the AI-ATC radio and vice versa while lining up.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

The Vegas fireworks mission was great!!

--Arthur C Clark

Agreed!

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

• 3 weeks later...

So I tried mission 3 tonight, the heavy lifting for navigation and I got stuck, purely because of my own fault. I pressed a wee bit too many times on the LSK7 (RH side) I think it was, thereby going through all the copied waypoint until I hit ?-1 on the LSK. At that point, I couldn't copy any waypoint anymore.

Not  deterred by such meaningless details, I started working on changing the waypoints 8 and above, not realizing that at least one of these waypoints is actually in the current flightplan.

In the end, I think Biff just gave me the finger and at the script point to turn to waypoint 3 or 4 (way past Creech and after manually making the waypoints), he was quiet as a mouse, nothing came from him so I aborted. I'll try again tomorrow night.

Yes, I am an A10C2 noob, I fly RW in DCS most of the time but since I got my hands on a HOTAS, I'm giving the A10 a go. Love it, but it's HMI designer should be shot on sight.

Edited by Looney

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

5 minutes ago, Looney said:

Yes, I am an A10C2 noob, I fly RW in DCS most of the time but since I got my hands on a HOTAS, I'm giving the A10 a go. Love it, but it's HMI designer should be shot on sight.

Yeah the interface takes patience and lots of practice getting used to. Am sometimes still clickety-clicking around on my hotas to get certain things to work. Once it is in the muscle memory things become easier. 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

After 2 unsuccesful tries I finally managed to get past the start of Mission 03: Navigation part 2.

Before take off I called ATC AI to get take off clearance, which fixed it for me. Now Biff did what was expected.

It was a nice short mission with a nice storyline, I liked the divert. 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png