Will next WWII aircraft module made by ED be released in 2022?

dcn

15 minutes ago, Gamja Field said:

Am I the only one who wants to see SBD-3? 

NEGATIVE! You are not.  There are a lot of us that want to see the Dauntless.  I think we would need a pacific asset pack first as we need Japanese Naval vessels to bomb.  I am in 100% on this one though.  The future is a bright one for the WW2 Pacific modules.  So many potential applicants.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

NEGATIVE! You are not.  There are a lot of us that want to see the Dauntless.  I think we would need a pacific asset pack first as we need Japanese Naval vessels to bomb.  I am in 100% on this one though.  The future is a bright one for the WW2 Pacific modules.  So many potential applicants.

The issue with Pacific content will be references, especially for Japanese planes but not exclusively.

• Like 2

We need Japanese aircraft.

A6M and/or Ki-84

Not sure how many still exist or the documentation required to create an accurate module.

WRT to the A6M, it would have to be a late war module since we have late war P-51's and we are getting the F4U-1D.

52 minutes ago, Krez said:

We need Japanese aircraft.

A6M and/or Ki-84

Not sure how many still exist or the documentation required to create an accurate module.

WRT to the A6M, it would have to be a late war module since we have late war P-51's and we are getting the F4U-1D.

You’d think DCS A6M would be a goer, there is one flying with an original engine. Maybe the Ki43. 

There’s only 1 surviving Ki-84 and it was badly looted after being returned to Japan for display iirc. Very sad.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

Imagine if the Hellcat, Corsair, Essex carrier, Japanese AI assets and WW2 Marianas map all dropped at the same time. I'd probably need to take a week off work. 

I think you'll be safe using those days for something else....

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

24 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

That was well placed... My expectation though is that the Corsair/Carrier/Assets release is going to be planned with the Mariana Is. map.

It would be nice for sure. But when think on how long some of the SC stuff has taken to acknowledge the F14s existence despite the tomcat preceeding it, I have to draw the conclusion that mutally supportive milestones are not something ED really considers given the increasing number of early access and core dev plates they are spinning.  

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Yeah in the case of ED's SC, while it certainly compliments other 3rd party modules/maps, it is a huge undertaking unto itself and I completely understand why ED would want to get it to at least in a working state with the F18 first. A usable ecosystem (F18/SC) was there from day one. 

The upcoming DCS Pacific theater in my view stands to benefit more if the release of the map and soon to arrive 3rd party add-ons is done together. You will certainly be able to use the Corsair if it arrives before the map is released and vise versa, but it wont be the same as being released together. I guess time will tell.

BTW, looking at my previous post again made me realize that it might not be coming across as intended. Your previous post really did make me chuckle.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Yeah in the case of ED's SC, while it certainly compliments other 3rd party modules/maps, it is a huge undertaking unto itself and I completely understand why ED would want to get it to at least in a working state with the F18 first. A usable ecosystem (F18/SC) was there from day one. 

The upcoming DCS Pacific theater in my view stands to benefit more if the release of the map and soon to arrive 3rd party add-ons is done together. You will certainly be able to use the Corsair if it arrives before the map is released and vise versa, but it wont be the same as being released together. I guess time will tell.

BTW, looking at my previous post again made me realize that it might not be coming across as intended. Your previous post really did make me chuckle.

Totally agree - a co-ordinated release would be a great benefit. Equally though, an uncordinated release isnt so awful and simply means cutomers are either getting a (possibly) interesting new map or an interesting aircraft to enjoy without one delaying the other. In the meantime we may even see the South Atlantic released which the more creative will rapidly turn into Norway for their Corsairs and Mossies (TBH a much more interesting environment from my eurocentric standpoint).

What niggles me is the lack of any real information about Marianas WW2. The Islands were massively different in terms of use, ecology, and infrastructure than today.  The impact of sugar cane farming between the wars alone makes for a very different looking Tinian. And thats before we start on the airfields, ports and population centres and of course the effect that Naval barragages have on such things.  Ill admit to not following closely but what period of the war will it represent?  Pre landing? Post Landing, Post landing plus? Its all very different.

To date I havnt seen much evidence of anything save for a few building renders. That alone makes me wonder how far along the project actually is. Retro forming a map is a sizable amount of work by any standard. Retro forming a map on a lump of rock that has seen such varied and intense human "endeavour", even on an island scale, is a huge undertaking. Thats its a free asset also really makes me wonder how much manpower and time ED can commit to it in any given cycle. 

Finally, and perhaps one of the main reasons I cant get exticed about the map is how it will look. DCS maps are very sanitised. In effect you fly over historical warzones, with little indication that the populace below is doing anything more than pruning their flowers and making jam. There is little evidence of the destruction that war inevitably brings. The larger maps are possibly better able to soak this lack of war scarring (Id argue they cant, espically the WW2 ones but thats me). The smaller land masses of the Marianas however dont really lend themesleves to such. As an example, the attached image is of Tinian Town and taken 7 days after the operation began.  Such destruction isnt "for the mission makers" - its a hard horrible fact that a period map should represent. The islands not only recevied the attention of the land forces, but of the Navy first. And how.  There really isnt any convievable scenario where a US aircraft would be flying over a pristine island in WW2 and nor should there be.  And for the argument that DCS is a sandbox, it is, but its a military one. Invariably the mission will be a veneer of the war and that should be as accurately represented as possible. If one wants a pleasure flight there is MSFS. 

Anyhow I think ive gone so far OT im almost meeting myself coming back! 🙂 

Its all good!

Tinian_Town_after_destruction_by_US_bombardment.jpg

• Like 1

For me personally, I am really enjoying the modern version of the Mariana Islands. Fly it regularly. The fact that it is a free map just sweetens the deal and any argument for DCS World IMO. But based on the screen shots we have seen already, my guess is that ED is quite far along the development path.

Regarding modeling bombed out areas, I would much prefer that maps be modeled they way we currently have them, but they could add a damage model to the map so that any damage received during a mission would be visible throughout the mission.

But in terms of the threads topic, it doesn't look like ED will release a WWII plane in 2022.

1 hour ago, Callsign112 said:

For me personally, I am really enjoying the modern version of the Mariana Islands. Fly it regularly. The fact that it is a free map just sweetens the deal and any argument for DCS World IMO. But based on the screen shots we have seen already, my guess is that ED is quite far along the development path.

Regarding modeling bombed out areas, I would much prefer that maps be modeled they way we currently have them, but they could add a damage model to the map so that any damage received during a mission would be visible throughout the mission.

But in terms of the threads topic, it doesn't look like ED will release a WWII plane in 2022.

Different strokes I guess. For me the destruction IS the landscape (or should be in many instances). Current events show only too well its doesnt take long for an army to utterly mess things up. The current level of mission generated damage modelling is both abysmal and perfomance sucking so its not really a satisfactory alternative for me.  Id prefer the "cog in wheel" approach where its not you or  your AI thats soley responsible for the mess below you.  Each to thier own though - I get  many prefer the alternative. 

Are there screen shots of the island itself? Genuine question as Ive only seen the buildings.

Ay least there is one thing we can agree on - and thats the chance of an ED warbird this year! 🙂

• Like 1

There well might not be an ED's WWII aircraft release this year, but I believe it's worth recalling how we knew nothing about Fw190A-8 when it was first release, which was obviously well advanced development wise the very first time we knew a thing about it. So actually, who knows…

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

15 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Different strokes I guess. For me the destruction IS the landscape (or should be in many instances). Current events show only too well its doesnt take long for an army to utterly mess things up. The current level of mission generated damage modelling is both abysmal and perfomance sucking so its not really a satisfactory alternative for me.  Id prefer the "cog in wheel" approach where its not you or  your AI thats soley responsible for the mess below you.  Each to thier own though - I get  many prefer the alternative. 

Are there screen shots of the island itself? Genuine question as Ive only seen the buildings.

Ay least there is one thing we can agree on - and thats the chance of an ED warbird this year! 🙂

What I remember seeing were more closeup screenshots of sugarcane fields, farms, and the like. The update was accompanied with the following detail:

"Except for the presence of a naval administration on the island, pre-war Guam was basically a land of farmers and fishermen living a simple and peaceful life. The US territory of Guam and the Northern Islands, which are part of the Japanese World War I mandate, will be included in the initial Early Access release.

A number of Japanese settlements and local Chamorros regions, as well as agricultural pastures, predominantly sugar cane fields, are visible in the Development Screenshots. 

The task of creating this map to match the visual quality and accuracy of the modern Marianas map includes new texturing to most of the land masses and creating countless new objects. It is a large task that is making steady progress and we look towards your comments."

Where I hope we see more improvement in terms of map technology in DCS is the ability to use ground vehicles/forces better. I know from using Normandy for example, there are a lot limitations in terms of ground unit interaction. Its not all just to do with the infantry/vehicles themselves, the map has to also include the ability to have ground units interact with it.

9 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

There well might not be an ED's WWII aircraft release this year, but I believe it's worth recalling how we knew nothing about Fw190A-8 when it was first release, which was obviously well advanced development wise the very first time we knew a thing about it. So actually, who knows…

That is a really good point. Wouldn't it be lovely to receive a surprise announcement that they were getting ready to release the Hellcat into EA!

wwiimariana.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Callsign112

@Ala13_ManOWarindeed good point. 

4 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

wwiimariana.jpeg

What's with the obsession for washing lines in WW2 maps?

It gives it that real lived-in feeling I think. Now if damage to the house and surrounding structures was visible after being hit by the ground/air forces as they move through an area is modeled, then we can say its dynamic.

Edit: In other words, that is the way it looked just before the bullets/bombs dropped.

Edited by Callsign112

ED has 8 modules in early access. 2 of those are from the WWII era. The assets pack is in EA since 2017. The Mossie still needs some love. Perhaps it's not the best idea to publish a 9th early access module?

I hear ya scream: How dare you, fox!

• Like 2
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

16 minutes ago, iFoxRomeo said:

ED has 8 modules in early access. 2 of those are from the WWII era. The assets pack is in EA since 2017. The Mossie still needs some love. Perhaps it's not the best idea to publish a 9th early access module?

wel you could argue that one more wont make a difference!! 🙂

🤣🤣🤣 Worth remembering either that once released teams don't remain the same so I believe there's no problem with several developments at once, and remember that people is usually really impatient so telling them "we're going to finish everything and not release a thing until done" maybe even worst bearing in mind most daily posts on this forums are kind of wishlist like 😅.

Let me point out something anyhow, assets pack is early access and will continue to be since they add new stuff every now and then, and personally I want those extras to keep coming, so for me no problem with an EA label meaning more or less nothing here.

25 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

That is a really good point. Wouldn't it be lovely to receive a surprise announcement that they were getting ready to release the Hellcat into EA!

The long awaited, several times said to be one of the next things, so indeed in ED's scope, and very well suited for the maps and dates we manage right now Bf-109G-6 in whatever version, or maybe more than one, would be very welcome and compatible with that same as Fw190A-8 was 🤔. Dreaming is free 🤣. Once we get the Marianas WWII map, Corsair and carrier I'm fully in for Hellcat though since it'd be no longer a dream but a necessity.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

I forgot!!! Nobody mentions (or I've missed it) the Wag's like comment Suntsag made at the end of this latest WWII stuff video about the C-47, and ED comments about how they were aware of the people wanting a flyable-multicrew transport aircraft after de C-130J mod… Who knows… 🤔

2 hours ago, iFoxRomeo said:

2 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

wel you could argue that one more wont make a difference!! 🙂

Ha... Ha... Ha!

I acknowledge that there are outstanding bugs/features that should be addressed. I am also certain that ED is well aware of this, and that they are working diligently at bringing this community the very best combat simulator.

Yes one could argue that there are too many EA modules, but I can honestly say that out of the 17 modules/maps I own the right to use there isn't a single one, EA or otherwise, that I am not enjoying. Yes I want all the modules to be as complete and accurately modeled as possible, but I am also enjoying them in the now. If anyone can point me in the direction of a better more complete P-51D simulation, I'm interested! How about a Thunderbolt, an Anton, or even the EA I-16?

But please stop suggesting if ED announced tomorrow that the Hellcat will be EA at the end of August that everyone is going to say.... oh no not another EA module, when we all know that wouldn't be the community response.  

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

...Let me point out something anyhow, assets pack is early access and will continue to be since they add new stuff every now and then, and personally I want those extras to keep coming, so for me no problem with an EA label meaning more or less nothing here.

Its the gift that keeps giving, but don't tell your friends that:thumbup:

2 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I forgot!!! Nobody mentions (or I've missed it) the Wag's like comment Suntsag made at the end of this latest WWII stuff video about the C-47, and ED comments about how they were aware of the people wanting a flyable-multicrew transport aircraft after de C-130J mod… Who knows…

yeah well that would certainly work wouldn't it. Your mission on the MP server is to deliver paratroopers to the drop zone.

1 hour ago, Callsign112 said:

But please stop suggesting if ED announced tomorrow that the Hellcat will be EA at the end of August that everyone is going to say.... oh no not another EA module, when we all know that wouldn't be the community response.

Who suggested that?

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

4 hours ago, iFoxRomeo said:

ED has 8 modules in early access. 2 of those are from the WWII era. The assets pack is in EA since 2017. The Mossie still needs some love. Perhaps it's not the best idea to publish a 9th early access module?...

My apologies if I misunderstood your meaning. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone would like outstanding issues to be fixed.