MFD export in VR possible?

Turbohamster

• ED Team

Exporting while using VR is not currently possible. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

My MFD's (well the screens) are gathering dust as I find it difficult to use with a Reverb G2. However, I do still use the MFD's (buttons). As long as they are positioned so they feel comfortable I find that I can get to the right buttons 50% of the time :-D. I keep intending to add some form of little indent stickers to the buttons to make it easier to ID where I am/should be pressing.

At worst, if possible at the time, I raise the headset, or use the 'pass-through' on the Reverb G2 (If I say 'Torch On/off' it will allow me to see if MFD's though the lens - Note: I also use VoiceAttack)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

15 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Thank you for the reply

Wish I'd known before, but it didn't even cross my mind that it wouldn't work 🥲

You don't know what you don't know 

15 minutes ago, Dodge said:

My MFD's (well the screens) are gathering dust as I find it difficult to use with a Reverb G2. However, I do still use the MFD's (buttons). As long as they are positioned so they feel comfortable I find that I can get to the right buttons 50% of the time :-D. I keep intending to add some form of little indent stickers to the buttons to make it easier to ID where I am/should be pressing.

At worst, if possible at the time, I raise the headset, or use the 'pass-through' on the Reverb G2 (If I say 'Torch On/off' it will allow me to see if MFD's though the lens - Note: I also use VoiceAttack)

I just remove the nose gasket from my headset. Can look down the gap no problem to see all my switches and mfd's etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 5:59 AM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

For the record, I would like to see exporting with VR possible too.

On 1/3/2022 at 6:15 AM, Turbohamster said:

Thank you for the reply

Wish I'd known before, but it didn't even cross my mind that it wouldn't work 🥲

You don't know what you don't know 

I just remove the nose gasket from my headset. Can look down the gap no problem to see all my switches and mfd's etc. 

I have done a similar thing but took it a little further on my Pimax 8K X. I cut the nose seal and some of the foam away. I can clearly see all of one MFD/all of my physical Viper ICP. @Bergison took it one step further though with his headsets and was one of the first to request exporting with VR years ago. https://bergisons.simpit.info/making-of_reverb_g2_mod Typical QOL upgrades for MFDs in VR are silicone drawer bumper nubs/velcro on buttons for tactile feedback. But PointCtrl is also well worth it and has a lot more functionality!

• Like 1

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

11 hours ago, Snake122 said:

For the record, I would like to see exporting with VR possible too.

I have done a similar thing but took it a little further on my Pimax 8K X. I cut the nose seal and some of the foam away. I can clearly see all of one MFD/all of my physical Viper ICP. @Bergison took it one step further though with his headsets and was one of the first to request exporting with VR years ago. https://bergisons.simpit.info/making-of_reverb_g2_mod Typical QOL upgrades for MFDs in VR are silicone drawer bumper nubs/velcro on buttons for tactile feedback. But PointCtrl is also well worth it and has a lot more functionality!

I just removed the nose seal on mine, not quite as easy to see all the stuff, but it works 😃

Turbohamster, don’t worry I’m right there with ya. Spent a bunch of time over the holidays designing and 3D printing a bunch of hardware to integrate some LCDs with my MFDs, just assuming it all worked fine in VR. Once I realized it wasn’t going to work, I was nearly done so I finished it all anyways. 

Still hopeful it’ll work some day or someone will figure out another way to export the data from DCS and recreate the displays outside of DCS. That’s beyond my skill set.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

The wingwing MFDs have a program that exports to their lil mfd monitors-I think it works-but I got the "blank" ones for VR. I barely use them since I have PointCTRL.

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

21 hours ago, Slick Twitchy said:

The wingwing MFDs have a program that exports to their lil mfd monitors-I think it works-but I got the "blank" ones for VR. I barely use them since I have PointCTRL.

Doesn't work if you're running DCS in VR. All the Winwing program does is auto-write the script telling DCS which viewports to export. 

Edited by Gorn557

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Heya! Could this perhaps be added at some point? This would be a big help in training sessions where the trainer currently has to ask the student to look down at a screen to see what's going on. Having a set of fixed external MFDs for a VR player would be a really neat thing to have.

• 9 months later...
En 3/1/2022 a las 11:59, BIGNEWY dijo:

thanks

Hi @BIGNEWY, any chance to get this in the roadmap soon? Would be great for mixed/augmented reality, actually I always fly VR but bought Winwing screens to improve e.g., startup, A/C configuration, etc. So sad I bought them for nothing... 😞

Thanks!

So many threads on this - I promise I tried to find them all when I found the solution back in October😅 

Long story short, yes it's now possible. To get this working you need to do two things:

1) Add the following to the end of your .lua file for your monitors configuration - VR_allow_MFD_out_of_HMD = true

(Note that Helios has added this to the "Special Controls" section of the "Toolbox" and it can be dragged and dropped onto your profile)

2) In DCS under "Settings" -> "VR" check the box for "Use DCS System Resolution".

Enjoy!