Dynamic Campaign Discussion

taitaiwoo

13 minutes ago, taitaiwoo said:

Any news about the dynamic campaign ?

No, work in progress

4 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Feels like they cancelled the entire project.

unlikely. Its just ED is about 150 people big and not all of them are developers. Also the dynamic campaign will need for sure some new systems and AI improvements which doent exist yet. Give them time, they cant do fast progress.

• Like 4

My skins

It's not been cancelled, quite the opposite. Work on the Dynamic Campaign is progressing very well. It's just a huge project.

Check this thread for all available information and discussion on the Dynamic Campaign, including a statement from Wags from an interview in October, where he described in some detail what the Dynamic Campaign includes:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
22 minutes ago, taitaiwoo said:

Hi,

Any news about the dynamic campaign ? It feels like it's been a while since i heard about it.

Thanks

Hi, 

Work continues and we will share news during 2022 in a future newsletter. 

thanks

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 weeks later...

While you wait guys there is DCS Liberation: https://github.com/dcs-liberation/dcs_liberation/releases

Or User Created missions: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/type-is-single/apply/

and campaigns :https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/type-is-campaign/apply/

Edited by Furiz
  • Like 3

The problem with a dynamic campaign IMO, is that it's contigent on having improved AI, something that other sim has (which is also a persitent campaign, simulating tonnes of units). Without the AI (which includes things like ATC) I'm less interested in a dynamic campaign than I otherwise would be.

AFAIK, the last thing we heard about it was this:

A dynamic campaign

The other huge addition to DCS World is the development of the dynamic campaign engine. It was a defining feature of Falcon 4.0 all those years ago, somewhat flawed on initial release but developed and enhanced in the years afterwards. Some said Falcon was essentially a ‘Virtual Universe’ with a flight simulator bolted on, albeit in a simpler form than what can be achieved these days. “So, what’s the plan for the one for DCS?” I asked.

“It’s incredibly difficult - it's something we're really having to build from the ground up. A big part of it is first building the entire background simulation of a war through economic, political and moral factors. And tied with that an economic-industrial system that actually produces goods, ships goods, moves them around, which then has a big factor on resupply, lines of communication, deliveries between ‘nodes’. And then from all that, being able to create intelligent air tasking orders on both sides and tie that into both a single-player experience and I think, more importantly, a multiplayer experience that anyone can jump seamlessly into.”

Sourced from here.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Another problem is, it's going to take a really good computer to play a DC in DCS. The other sim with a DC is easy on computers. DCS isn't and adding a DC with VR is going to be tough on our systems.

True, though the World Map technology for DCS might go a way into solving this problem (they're going to add a dynamic calling system, allowing for much larger numbers of units, with less of a performance hit).

The other sim had a bubble system, where it was only inside a certain radius from the player where units and objects would have graphics, FM, AI, systems modelling, etc, everything outside was considered, but was much more simplified, allowing you to simulate the entire war with thousands of units, without incurring the performance hit.

As for DC itself, I hope multicore can sort that out.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yeah, I think the big challenge with any dynamic campaign system on DCS will be performance. I have a high-horsepower system and regularly play Liberation in single player VR, and any mission with a decent number of units brings framerates to an abysmally slow level (especially in Syria). I'm hopeful that they find a way to significantly improve performance so that a dynamic campaign can be enjoyable, even for those with more modest systems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Circa 1999 the Falcon 4.0 DC engine was coded by one person.

But for an engine that was purposefully build for such a DC and had a bubble system to achieve this, which the DCS engine does not offer (so far).

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

8 hours ago, DaWu said:

DC with current AI will be „interesting“…and performance in single digits. I am waiting for DC since 2008 ( my first post in here) and after 14 years doubt we will see one one day    

I'm sorry, I don't understand why you "doubt" something that IS happening, and has been in active development for 2 to 3 years now.

Here's the thing - you've been waiting for 14 years, but they haven't been working on it for that long. So you've spent most of that time waiting for something that didn't exist.

There's absolutely no reason to think it's not going to appear - why would they spend so much resources on it otherwise? It appears to me that all the planned upgrades/updates (AI, ATC, multicore, updated 3D assets, etc) is all leading towards a dynamic campaign. Indeed, I imagine a multiplayer-capable dynamic campaign would be their pinnacle goal, as it could define DCS and put it on a level all its own.

• Like 6

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Well, at least it could bring to DCS what Falcon 4.0 did about two decades ago. 🙂 Dynamic campaign is cool, but it'd require major improvements to AI. Even a multiplayer server will need AI assets, and in the current state, those AI are dumber than a sack of hammers. The only challenging ones are the ones that cheat with physics. 

• Like 3

On 2/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

Well, at least it could bring to DCS what Falcon 4.0 did about two decades ago. 🙂 Dynamic campaign is cool, but it'd require major improvements to AI. Even a multiplayer server will need AI assets, and in the current state, those AI are dumber than a sack of hammers. The only challenging ones are the ones that cheat with physics. 

You think the AI were good in Falcon 4? It was a pretty simple game. 575mgs total. DCS is 104g without any paid content.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

Yeah, and most of that is models and textures. 🙂 Battlefield V is 90GB on my HD, and yet, it's not exactly the greatest simulation (though it sure does look pretty). Falcon 4.0 sure looks dated, but the AI was very capable of giving you a hard time, both in strategic and tactical areas. It certainly was less screwy than DCS AI, which until a recent update couldn't even keep formation properly. Sure, it was a simpler sim, which made coding AI a bit easier, but it did manage to implement a fully fledged dynamic campaign, and made it work. And it did all that in 1998, on Windows XP, at the time when 2GHz CPU was fast and a computer with 1GB of RAM was called a gaming rig and not a smartwatch.

• Like 3

The AI seems to be worse than I remember it being in the past and is the main reason I've lost interest in DCS these days. 
Lol, on an MP server flying the A-4E, loaded up with bombs and pods, I was attacking a SAM site, and the friendly AI CAP flew straight over 2 enemy AI MiG-15s who shot me down. Sigh.....

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 5:36 PM, LooseSeal said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand why you "doubt" something that IS happening…

…It appears to me that all the planned upgrades/updates (AI, ATC, multicore, updated 3D assets, etc) is all leading towards a dynamic campaign…

The doubts arise because these “planned upgrades” have be mentioned continuously for 10+ years, we’ll before the current Early Access modules were even started. It’s all well and good to have plans, but at some point you have to actually implement them. That seems to be ED stumbling block, no doubt due to their business model/commercial reasons.

For context, the SuperCarrier ‘might’ get light wands in 2022. A dynamic campaign, haha, before 2025 is overly optimistic!

Edited by norman99
  • Like 4

The doubts arise because these “planned upgrades” have be mentioned continuously for 10+ years, we’ll before the current Early Access modules were even started. It’s all well and good to have plans, but at some point you have to actually implement them. That seems to be ED stumbling block, no doubt due to their business model/commercial reasons.
For context, the SuperCarrier ‘might’ get light wands in 2022. A dynamic campaign, haha, before 2025 is overly optimistic!
Dynamic campaign RTS has none planned, has on develop, and appears on develop updates, some time ago.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

1 hour ago, norman99 said:

The doubts arise because these “planned upgrades” have be mentioned continuously for 10+ years

If you can provide me with a quote from an ED employee saying that a dynamic campaign was in development more than 3 (maybe 4) years ago - I shall personally send you a cookie.

It has NOT been in development for 10 years - you're pulling that number out of thin air.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR