Dynamic Campaign Discussion

taitaiwoo

I never once said that a dynamic campaign has been planned for 10+ years. I was only referring only to the planned upgrades that were mentioned previously. Those being “AI, ATC, multicore, updated 3D assets, etc.”

Upgrades to these areas within the DCS world have been mentioned for much longer than the 3-4 year window of the dynamic campaign. In some case much, much longer. Unfortunately little to no progress has really been made in many of these areas, to the point that some things are literally the remnants of LOMAC. 

These core areas are fundamental to the implementation of a working dynamic campaign, and the glacial pace of their improvements simply doesn’t bode well for a expeditiously developed dynamic campaign engine.

I’m not trying to make false claims, but simply highlighting that if past behavior is the best predictor of future behaviour, than a dynamic campaign is a very long way away, as ED don’t have a great record of timely, consistent core improvements. EDs focus is revenue generating modules, and I don’t expect that to change.

Edited by norman99
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

please review our forum rules before posting, they can be found at the top of the forum. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If ED could guarantee say a 6 month (full) release who here would pay for a dynamic campaign / AI fix? As a mostly single player player I think I would, in single player it feels like I’ve hit a brick wall, sure I could get into multiplayer a bit more but would benefit immensely from a working dynamic campaign so much so that I’d be willing to pay for it – given the business model of having to release a product every 6 months or so to keep the cash flowing why not apply the same here?

Edited by Dr Zaius
  • Like 4

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

On 2/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, Dr Zaius said:

If ED could guarantee say a 6 month (full) release who here would pay for a dynamic campaign / AI fix? As a mostly single player player I think I would, in single player it feels like I’ve hit a brick wall, sure I could get into multiplayer a bit more but would benefit immensely from a working dynamic campaign so much so that I’d be willing to pay for it – given the business model of having to release a product every 6 months or so to keep the cash flowing why not apply the same here?

Well they definitely need to drastically improve A.I. first , otherwise the dynamic campaign will be not much fun with the current abysmal AI.

As for your question, this proposed „AI&dynamic campaign“ module would likely just be another EA cash grab with no definite timeline and shifting goalposts, so no thanks.

There are enough unfinished and buggy early access modules by ED around to show you that giving ED even more money doesn’t improve things. They have lost my trust.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Snappy said:

Well they definitely need to drastically improve A.I. first , otherwise the dynamic campaign will be not much fun with the current abysmal AI.

As for your question, this proposed „AI&dynamic campaign“ module would likely just be another EA cash grab with no definite timeline and shifting goalposts, so no thanks.

There are enough unfinished and buggy early access modules by ED around to show you that giving ED even more money doesn’t improve things. They have lost my trust.

Completely understand both sides to this and appreciate the risks involved - a free update means that if it’s done poorly and takes forever then they will never really be accountable for it whereas a paid module could turn out to be something like Combined Arms, a fantastic idea that’s poorly implemented with little if no support – thing is I really, really want to enjoy this game more so much so that personally I think I’d take a punt on it, none of this pre-release nonsense though, a damn near finished product is what we need!         

• Like 1

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

• 3 weeks later...

I really think ED is putting effort into creating a DC. However that takes time.

Remember how other long announced ED items took more than expected (A2G radar, Flir overhaul that it's seems is coming in March, new clouds...) and some other has not made it yet (New ATC comms, vulkan...)

Given ED size and the complexity of everything they are doing, is no surprise to me that plans take around 1 or 2 years more over the original plan. I think for the DC 2023 will be the year, hopefully....

Its actually the most expected item for me, along with multithreading/vulkan to let my aging gpu hold a bit longer.

Also I am totally fine with DC being a module you need to pay for. As I see it takes more effort or similar effort to a FF module.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 2

Waiting for more news on this, it is keeping from DCS frankly, I tried liberation a few months back but could not figure it out in my short time with it and it required more effort than I could put in at the time.  Anyone have suggestions on what the best dynamic campaign is, if it's liberation I may try it again as I have a little more time now.  

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 11:59 AM, M1Combat said:

Liberation.

The AI drags this down big time.  Not the fault of the developer of Liberation, but a huge issue nonetheless.  Personally, I've stopped buying modules/campaigns until ED fixes the AI, damage model, and gets a DC out.  I'd be happy right now if they'd just fix the AI and some of the hilariously bad animations for ground troops that I didn't even see in 1998's M1 Tank Platoon 2.  For those of us that mainly enjoy helicopters, and don't care about multiplayer (the vast majority), these things are very important.  

• Like 4

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

On 3/31/2022 at 8:10 PM, aleader said:

The AI drags this down big time.  Not the fault of the developer of Liberation, but a huge issue nonetheless.  Personally, I've stopped buying modules/campaigns until ED fixes the AI, damage model, and gets a DC out.  I'd be happy right now if they'd just fix the AI and some of the hilariously bad animations for ground troops that I didn't even see in 1998's M1 Tank Platoon 2.  For those of us that mainly enjoy helicopters, and don't care about multiplayer (the vast majority), these things are very important.  

Totally agree.  Liberation shows us how much the DCS AI drags everything else down.  Even if ED came out with the dynamic campaign today... the bad AI would really drag it down. 

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

• Wags changed the title to Dynamic Campaign Discussion
  • Wags pinned this topic
On 3/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, aleader said:

For those of us that mainly enjoy helicopters, and don't care about multiplayer (the vast majority), these things are very important.  

Yeah that's the group I fall into as well...  Just giving you the best answer I've got :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I often ask myself what I actually expect from such a dynamic campaign. That's because I have an on-off relationship with DCS and am always struggling between excitement (the planes) and boredom (the world around).
My main problem with DCS is really the "dead" and "empty" world. Playing single missions don't change that, because then there are a few military units standing around and interacting somehow, but the world is still dead and without meaning. And building missions myself? I tried. That's like writing my own horror story and then being surprised that I don't get scared by my own jump scares.

When I have the usual 2-3 hours of time for DCS in the evening after a long workday, I expect the following:

Disclaimer: that is my opinion. Other opinions can (and may!) differ greatly from it.

1. I choose a map / conflict and a plane
  2. I get a short overview of the situation and the choice from several possible missions, which differ in length, complexity and difficulty
  3. When I'm at the airport, I want "immersion" - a plane captain, ground crew, vehicles, other jets getting ready, proper radio - these empty, dead aprons are one of the biggest immersion killers in DCS - regardless of dynamic campaign or not (supercarrier is a start - but nothing more)
  4. In the air, I want to feel like something is happening around me. This doesn't have to be super much (would kill FPS anyway) and hyper realistic, a few other units with meaningful(!) tasks and some radio chatter would be okay
  5. After the mission, back at the airport, it would be nice to be welcomed by the ground crew and that the debriefing not only consists of a text box.

What I absolutely do not need:

1. Micro management - I don't want to manage units and costs - I hate economic simulations - I want to fly.
  2. Overdramatic Hollywood stories, I just want to be myself as a jet pilot, I don't need a semi-cool name and a backstory. If I want to be Commander Shepard, I play Mass Effect. This is a study sim*.
  3. Exaggerated action: please, no missions where I feel like I have to fight the whole damn war alone in one single mission. I have read the usual books like "Hornets over Kuwait" and I was also in the army myself and I know that war is not won by single superheroes. I hate it when I get missions in a study sim(!) that feel like Fortnite or GTA in the air from the first second to the last.
  4. It doesn't always have to go BOOOM right away, in a conflict there are so many tense "in-between" stages - e.g. securing a country's border while two other countries are on conflict at the other side. I don't always want these usual missions: "Fly to your target, take out the enemy planes [with a full load of bombs under the wings(!)], then kill the air defenses and bomb target X".

As I said, just my thoughts on the subject. Someone else may have a completely different opinion on this.

I have high hopes for this dynamic campaign and even if only a small part of my wishes were fulfilled, that would be great.

*) This is not a low blow directed at story-driven campaigns in DCS. I have great respect for the tremendous work and love that goes into such campaigns. It's just not for me personally.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Best regards

Jörg

1 hour ago, Airbusjoerg said:

I often ask myself what I actually expect from such a dynamic campaign. That's because I have an on-off relationship with DCS and am always struggling between excitement (the planes) and boredom (the world around).
My main problem with DCS is really the "dead" and "empty" world. Playing single missions don't change that, because then there are a few military units standing around and interacting somehow, but the world is still dead and without meaning. And building missions myself? I tried. That's like writing my own horror story and then being surprised that I don't get scared by my own jump scares.

Well put (the whole post).  Hits it right on the head for me.

• Like 4

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

5 hours ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

You were there aswell.

ED never promise a Q3 release...

Dynamic Campaign

This massive task has been underway for over two years, and the progress has been exciting. The campaign is built around a Real-Time Strategy (RTS) foundation that factors resources, zones of control, logistics, available forces, and a strategic decision-making system. While we believe internal testing will continue in the 1st quarter of 2021, it is too early to estimate a release date. However, external Beta testing is planned hopefully in Q2/Q3 2021.

What part of "release" are there here?

Oh Lord!
Everybody knows some people will read preliminary dates etc. as "ED promised this and that" set in stone.
Just ignore it.

For those of you that actually bring ideas and good points to the discussion, please write more as I like what I read.
IIRC ED stated in an interview that they liked what was done by another company, and my wish is for ED to achieve something similar, I think even better. As I feel ED strives to raise the bar.
I also hope the warehousing can be set to automatic, as I also don't always want to micro manage, even if it can be fun at times.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 4/4/2022 at 1:04 AM, Airbusjoerg said:

When I have the usual 2-3 hours of time for DCS in the evening after a long workday, I expect the following:

Disclaimer: that is my opinion. Other opinions can (and may!) differ greatly from it.

1. I choose a map / conflict and a plane
  2. I get a short overview of the situation and the choice from several possible missions, which differ in length, complexity and difficulty
  3. When I'm at the airport, I want "immersion" - a plane captain, ground crew, vehicles, other jets getting ready, proper radio - these empty, dead aprons are one of the biggest immersion killers in DCS - regardless of dynamic campaign or not (supercarrier is a start - but nothing more)
  4. In the air, I want to feel like something is happening around me. This doesn't have to be super much (would kill FPS anyway) and hyper realistic, a few other units with meaningful(!) tasks and some radio chatter would be okay
  5. After the mission, back at the airport, it would be nice to be welcomed by the ground crew and that the debriefing not only consists of a text box.

What I absolutely do not need:

1. Micro management - I don't want to manage units and costs - I hate economic simulations - I want to fly.
  2. Overdramatic Hollywood stories, I just want to be myself as a jet pilot, I don't need a semi-cool name and a backstory. If I want to be Commander Shepard, I play Mass Effect. This is a study sim*.
  3. Exaggerated action: please, no missions where I feel like I have to fight the whole damn war alone in one single mission. I have read the usual books like "Hornets over Kuwait" and I was also in the army myself and I know that war is not won by single superheroes. I hate it when I get missions in a study sim(!) that feel like Fortnite or GTA in the air from the first second to the last.
  4. It doesn't always have to go BOOOM right away, in a conflict there are so many tense "in-between" stages - e.g. securing a country's border while two other countries are on conflict at the other side. I don't always want these usual missions: "Fly to your target, take out the enemy planes [with a full load of bombs under the wings(!)], then kill the air defenses and bomb target X".

As I said, just my thoughts on the subject. Someone else may have a completely different opinion on this.

I have high hopes for this dynamic campaign and even if only a small part of my wishes were fulfilled, that would be great.

*) This is not a low blow directed at story-driven campaigns in DCS. I have great respect for the tremendous work and love that goes into such campaigns. It's just not for me personally.

To have open options to select on/off via menu's is best for a wider player base.

My take on ED DCS WORLD AS A COMBAT SIM with DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN  in SINGLE PLAYER - WAR - A.i - RED vs BLUE - TRAINING is........

*** TERMS AND MEANINGS ***

THE BATTLE SPACE OR THEATER OF OPERATIONS -

Battlespace or battle-space is a term used to signify a unified military strategy to integrate and combine armed forces for the military theatre of operations, including air, information, land, sea, cyber and outer space to achieve military goals.

WAR -
  • 1. a state of armed conflict between different countries or different groups within a country: "Japan declared war on Germany"
  • a state of competition or hostility between different people or groups: "she was at war with her parents"
  • a sustained campaign against an undesirable situation or activity: "the authorities are waging war against smuggling"

AERIAL WARFARE -

1. Aerial warfare

Aerial warfare is the battlespace use of military aircraft and other flying machines in warfare. Aerial warfare includes bombers attacking enemy installations or a concentration of enemy troops or strategic targets; fighter aircraft battling for control of airspace; attack aircraft engaging in close air support against ground targets; naval aviation flying against sea and nearby land targets; gliders, helicopters and other aircraft to carry airborne forces such as paratroopers; aerial refueling tankers to extend operation time or range; and military transport aircraft to move cargo and personnel. Historically, military aircraft have included lighter-than-air balloons carrying artillery observers; lighter-than-air airships for bombing cities; various sorts of reconnaissance, surveillance and early warning aircraft carrying observers, cameras and radar equipment; torpedo bombers to attack enemy shipping; and military air-sea rescue aircraft for saving downed airmen. Modern aerial warfare includes missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles. Surface forces are likely to respond to enemy air activity with anti-aircraft warfare.

STRATEGIC  -
  • 1. relating to the identification of long-term or overall aims and interests and the means of achieving them: "strategic planning for the organization is the responsibility of top management"
  • 2. relating to the gaining of overall or long-term military advantage: "Newark Castle was of strategic importance"

TACTICAL -
  • 1. relating to or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end: "as a tactical officer in the field he had no equal"
  • 2. showing adroit planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action: "in a tactical retreat, she moved into a hotel with her daughters"

MILITARY JOINT OPERATIONS TRAINING -

Military exercise

• A military exercise or war game is the employment of military resources in training for military operations, either exploring the effects of warfare or testing strategies without actual combat.
  • Exercises in the 20th century have often been identified by a unique codename in the same manner as military contingency operations and combat operations.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Military_exercises_involving_the_United_States

ONLINE INFO:-

In Development - Dynamic Campaign Engine For DCS World

4cfd81fa29497ed3c6f80795fa3e581ccf77e8a9

The DCS World Dynamic Campaign Engine combines a Real-Time Strategy (RTS) engine with military forces and economics layers (production, logistics, use and transfer of resources) that pitch two opposing sides aided by advanced strategic and tactical AI.

We have now completed the core RTS logic and have connected it to DCS World. We are currently finalising the basics of the in-game economic models. We will be working on the combat tasking logic and certain win-win situations in the near future. The last stage will be the Client - Server architecture needed to support large campaigns with on-going online sessions.

We are certain that you will have many detailed questions and look forward to revealing more information on this module as and when we are in position to demonstrate some of the features live.

**** Online source:- https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/223750/view/2721816081725871826

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/53393-dynamic-campaign-discussion-thread/page/49/#comment-4802798

😉🤞

Edited by WRAITH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg