Dynamic Campaign Discussion

taitaiwoo

• ED Team

Hey all, we don't have much info to share right now, there are initial versions being tested, discussed and refined currently, but when we will see it in a public testing state I do not know right now. I will ask if we can share an update soon. Thanks all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 7:42 AM, norman99 said:

I never once said that a dynamic campaign has been planned for 10+ years. I was only referring only to the planned upgrades that were mentioned previously. Those being “AI, ATC, multicore, updated 3D assets, etc.”

Upgrades to these areas within the DCS world have been mentioned for much longer than the 3-4 year window of the dynamic campaign. In some case much, much longer. Unfortunately little to no progress has really been made in many of these areas, to the point that some things are literally the remnants of LOMAC. 

These core areas are fundamental to the implementation of a working dynamic campaign, and the glacial pace of their improvements simply doesn’t bode well for a expeditiously developed dynamic campaign engine.

I’m not trying to make false claims, but simply highlighting that if past behavior is the best predictor of future behaviour, than a dynamic campaign is a very long way away, as ED don’t have a great record of timely, consistent core improvements. EDs focus is revenue generating modules, and I don’t expect that to change.

When DCS A-10 module came out, they actually talked about a dynmaic campaign coming later for it.  I know because I purchased the module when it came out with the hopes of seeing something similar to Falcon 4.0.  

On 4/9/2022 at 1:54 PM, NineLine said:

Hey all, we don't have much info to share right now, there are initial versions being tested, discussed and refined currently, but when we will see it in a public testing state I do not know right now. I will ask if we can share an update soon. Thanks all.

I think it would be great to just get an update on the progress.  I've been waiting a long, long, long time since DCS A-10 module release for it.  I think just getting an overview on it and an update would go a long way to placating a lot of us folks.  

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

• ED Team
30 minutes ago, jwflowersii said:

When DCS A-10 module came out, they actually talked about a dynmaic campaign coming later for it.  I know because I purchased the module when it came out with the hopes of seeing something similar to Falcon 4.0.  

I know, me personally when I first bought and flew the A-10C, I didn't see or expect to see what we do now with DCS World. 

30 minutes ago, jwflowersii said:

I think it would be great to just get an update on the progress.  I've been waiting a long, long, long time since DCS A-10 module release for it.  I think just getting an overview on it and an update would go a long way to placating a lot of us folks.  

I have requested an update, I know there is activity, but what they are willing to share right now I am not sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have posted in these forums, but I too am wondering how development is going these days for a DCS DC.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

Work is in progress, it is a complex project and will take time. We will share more news when we have good progress to share. I can not give you all any ETA's currently. 

thank you for your patience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2022 at 8:00 PM, BuzzU said:

I'm patiently waiting but Damn, i'm getting old!

To make it happen we probably need to wait for Vulcan, to have better performance with so many units, without proper ATC its gonna stay back behind that other sim, and AI to take care of so many units. Its incredible that first proper dynamic campaign happened 24 years ago and is still a benchmark for it.

I think we need to take a nap for another few years, but i'm sure when we wake up we will be surprised how well it is done.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The only titles which were feeling like empty/boring are **************. They were the most unfun sims for me, completely sterile, boring and literally empty. DCS got worse because everything seems so mixed up in terms of eras, dislodged. Compare flying DCS F-14 with ******** gets everything right in terms of atmosphere, the right era, right foe, right equipment. ******* as well. Something very essential is missing here which other sims (a lot of them) delivered in the past and were a foundation, especially for good memories. Now everyone here acts as if nothing was missing and go nuts reg. modules coming out. I always wanted a ******, it's coming. My friend goes nuts about this aircraft as well. 

But there is nothing to do with it. I dislike the editor... creating missions for myself and act surprised about bandits. Or flying the ***** in some modern maps in (year 20xx) and not in some 70s/80s maps. The whole concept doesn't work for me. That's why I never could have much fun with like I had with almost any other simulator in the past.

It's just sandbox. Why is it so hard to add some fun elements to the game? I don't think that this dynamic campaign will surpass ****** with it's "out of cockpit" experience, 2D maps with recent actions happening over Korea, comms running etc. ... why must simulations be so sterile?

No news, nothing to share. 

=\

Edited by TheCabal
  • Like 7

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

On 10/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, TheCabal said:

But there is nothing to do with it.

THIS!!!  This is the problem.  There's no "World" down there.  There's no War.  There's no Campaign.  Everyone and Everything just stands there like a cardboard cutout.

This has been my complaint forever.  It's fun learning the aircraft and getting good with it.  But there's nothing to do with it afterwards.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, 3WA said:

THIS!!!  This is the problem.  There's no "World" down there.  There's no War.  There's no Campaign.  Everyone and Everything just stands there like a cardboard cutout.

This has been my complaint forever.  It's fun learning the aircraft and getting good with it.  But there's nothing to do with it afterwards.

Have you tried this: http://gadget.buddyspike.net/ ?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, WRAITH said:

I am sure I have missed some news on DCS Dynamic Campaign where are we on this............

Latest DCE News: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/6c7a187cc544c421702c1e7eaad58edd/
And a little bit here as well: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/a6204cbc7d5df25e887acb434b2f8e1b/

Edited by QuiGon
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is one of the more complex things to code tho I can only imagine as a non-coder.

The myriad of dependencies and triggers, resource management and AI, that is beyond a complicated clockwork, it's likely partly unpredictable and thus complex and

it needs lots of testing like "what happens if..". 

I only hope it is way easier to work with than mission editor. Choose sites and map, choose general scenario, define some specialties maybe and hit FLY.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 4 weeks later...

While we wait....Liberation and Retribution Campaign managers are getting pretty good.  With the new multi-threading for DCS, these are becoming more enjoyable.  

• Like 2

2020 Rig

Chasse: bequiet! Darkbase 700

MBoard: Asus b550-F Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900XT

DIMM: HyperZ 3200 64 GB (16x4)

GPU: Asus Strix 2070 - 8GB

Storage: 2x Samsung EVO 1TB m.2 (1 dedicated for DCS)

On 5/6/2023 at 10:57 AM, shastasm said:

While we wait....Liberation and Retribution Campaign managers are getting pretty good.  With the new multi-threading for DCS, these are becoming more enjoyable.  

Agreed! I have been enjoying Liberation campaign manager as well. It can definitely curb the appetite while waiting for ED.

• Like 1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dynamic Campaign

Development Report

zasfujtutarrbgft_Hero2.jpg

DCS Dynamic Campaign (DCSDC) is one of the most important tasks for the future of DCS as it will add a new and much-demanded evolution/improvement of gameplay for both single player and multiplayer. Rather than mimic past solutions, we hope to set a new standard, one that provides a high level of interaction, authenticity, immersion, and ease-of-use. Our goal is to deliver a system that allows players to create their own dynamic (non-scripted) campaigns that will evolve based on strategic and tactical AI decisions, indirect player influences on AI actions, and direct player influences on the battlefield. This will all leverage existing DCS features such as Voice Chat, new ATC mechanisms, etc. This has been a tall order, and the effort has been underway since 2018 with a small but dedicated team.

Our focus in 2022 was on the creation and testing of General Air Operations tasks. In 2023, we shifted our DCSDC efforts to Ground Operations. This area will break new ground for dynamic campaigns and includes the following tasks:

• The creation of a realistic road network system that is based on a new road editor system. This allows units to have appropriate road movement conditions that are tied to the logistics and supply network. This also integrates into the movement of ground unit formations.
  • A new ground unit formations editor was created that allows for the accurate assembly of units-based levels of command from platoon up to division, with all command levels in-between. Command structures vary based on the country and era, just like the real world and with correct terminology. Unit formations then operate realistically within their larger force structure based on tasking such as road march, meeting engagement, assault, defense, retreat, route, etc.
  • We addressed ground forces behavior once engaged. This was one of the biggest, most complex tasks. Much of this was dependent upon force tasking, support from neighboring forces, organization of frontline forces, logistics (munitions and fuel), and disposition of enemy forces.

To assist with these items, a new and improved path-finding mechanism was developed that considers both the terrain topography and restrictive zones within it. This allows more sensible routing of formations based on the terrain properties.

In addition to Ground Operations tasks, we continue to work on Air Operations related tasks. For instance, many airfields currently have too few parking spaces available for a large DC. We don’t want to be limited to such limited numbers for large scenarios. To address this, we have developed a new process to expand spawn points for aircraft.

Next, we will finalize ground tasking, increase the level of internal and external testing, and begin work on the important Graphic User Interface (GUI).

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/5bf6ef59f8b97771ba0e0ac9904be8f7/?fbclid=IwAR2XSd8jZwOychCmxztX9AdnD0vyy-yCbVL4_xsT86ZRFQ_YYhTGa-UlVBg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

I wonder if there is any more on how object / AI calculations would be handled by the Dynamic Campaign as ‘full fat’ AI for entities will bring CPUs to a crawl. 

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

On 12/30/2023 at 2:20 PM, C3PO said:

I wonder if there is any more on how object / AI calculations would be handled by the Dynamic Campaign as ‘full fat’ AI for entities will bring CPUs to a crawl. 

To increase the number of units in the campaign without over-tasking the CPU, only units that are ‘visible’ to the player or that ‘see’ the player (eyesight and sensor range based) are fully calculated. For the remaining units, lighter algorithms are used which are based on pre-calculated data sets. It is good to note that when preparing such data, separate mechanisms are used in EDDCE to easily process all upcoming equipment and weapons which will be added to DCS. To ensure that unit calculations do not negatively affect gameplay, seamless transitions between the lighter and the fully-fledged calculation models have been implemented. This will allow the player to see all the units in their correct place, performing their tasks while moving across the entire map. When interacting with the player, all units use the normal DCS algorithms.

• Thanks 1