Varjo Aero Compatibility

Maksim Savelev

Well DCS does anyway.   Issue is more what for.  I know I cannot trust Facebook which will collect my data unrelated to them and use it / sell it to someone else without my knowledge.  They won't even tell me what data they collect (no I have not read the multiple T&C revisions 🙂 ).   ED does not tell me either to be honest.   If Varjo 'connects' just to ensure software is up to date and not to gather info about what I do , where I live and how many kids I have then I am fine with it. 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

On 1/2/2022 at 7:37 PM, Maksim Savelev said:

Hello everyone! Just received my Varjo Aero yesterday. Today was struggling whole day making it work. Unfortunately, some weird distortion are happening during running of DCS. They are not the same, this headset is known for, those are seen in native software and games from steam running in SteamVR. Varjo base software supports both OpenVR and OpenXR runtime. Previously  I was running DCS using HP reverb G2 and running SteamVR for WMR headset application. I was also using a reprojection mode preferring high graphics settings with my RTX3090.  Now I’m starting DCS and I don’t know what kind of runtime it’s using. In fact I’m getting some weird distortion, like those normal ones but several times amplified and twisted I guess. Does someone have any advice on this?

Hello Maksim,

I had the same problem. I also used to have a G2 and now I got terrible distortions with DCS. I was able to improve it a bit by using the WMR debug tool https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/214525-wmr-debug-tool-cross-eye-alignment/ unfortunately distortions still remain when I move the head up or down, not as bad but still there.
But it looks like we both found some common ground here, a WMR headset used before the Aero. I will try the --force_varjo_VR command option tomorrow, maybe that will help but somehow we need to get rid of the remnants of the WMR.

Thank you! Its nice to be not alone even in a such circumstances). I've tried this command today but it didnt help. Well it helped to get rid of this zoom distortion! but since this command presumably  was made to be used with VR2/3 and Vario XR-3, it gives screen flickering in the headset and 4 displays  preview drastically reducing performances even in the menu. So it might be that dcs is not supporting Varjo Aero at this moment. I\ve made a ticket both for Varjo and DCS support. Please make the same to make them see that this is a common problem. Best regards! 

Edited by Maksim Savelev

11 hours ago, Maksim Savelev said:

Thank you! Its nice to be not alone even in a such circumstances). I've tried this command today but it didnt help. Well it helped to get rid of this zoom distortion! but since this command presumably  was made to be used with VR2/3 and Vario XR-3, it gives screen flickering in the headset and 4 displays  preview drastically reducing performances even in the menu. So it might be that dcs is not supporting Varjo Aero at this moment. I\ve made a ticket both for Varjo and DCS support. Please make the same to make them see that this is a common problem. Best regards! 

Hi Maksim,

I have now also tested the command and have come to the same conclusion. I can still recommend you to use the WMR debug tool, at least with the following values it looks a bit better for me:

Eye Left:

L_Out 1.2322603

L_In 0.701730

L_Top 1.00

L_BTM 1.00

Eye Right:

R_Out 1.2322603

R_In 0.701730

R_Top 1.00

R_BTM 1.00

I'm thinking about deleting all DCS settings (at least I can backup them and restore them if necessary) or reinstalling Windows.

Edited by Wizard1701

Thank you! Well Ive tried to delete all settings and clean the registry than reinstall DCS. I wouldn't go for windows reinstallation at least for now) Still waiting for response from support. But Russian's one (I mean DCS) will no come earlier than 10 of January (holidays in Russia). Please let me no if you decide to reinstall windows and it helps:). 

Unfortunately, my Aero also has two dead pixels, so I have now initiated the return.
Since the Aero is not perfect even without the particular problems with DCS, I will not choose a replacement model either. Maybe Varjo will get the problem under control at some point and I'll give it another chance, but until then I guess I'll keep hoping for a Valve Index 2.

2 hours ago, Wizard1701 said:

Unfortunately, my Aero also has two dead pixels, so I have now initiated the return.
Since the Aero is not perfect even without the particular problems with DCS, I will not choose a replacement model either. Maybe Varjo will get the problem under control at some point and I'll give it another chance, but until then I guess I'll keep hoping for a Valve Index 2.

If you already have an Index with the Lighthouse tracking and controllers, the Vive Pro 2 is a nice upgrade especially since it can utilize the same tracking and controllers. I have both and VP2 image clarity is quite nice as compared to Index.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

4 часа назад, Wizard1701 сказал:

It’s sad to hear you’ve got those broken pixels. I’m using my trusty HPreverb G2 as a back up! 
By the way way, I finally managed to run VR debug tool and swapped both eyes from top to bottom, and it worked somehow. Now everything looks great! But the simulator is not flyable yet and the reason is lack of reprojection for Varjo headset. And it’s very sad. Even paid for Varjo and got in my hands, I’m still flying with my previous one.

I am really a little put off right now with Varjo. What good to get in early on the pre-order on day 1 when apparently they are only servicing European customers first no matter the place in line.

Starting to get a bad taste in my mouth for Varjo. I guess the only upside is in perhaps the software maturing a bit during the wait. But my experience so far with the pre-order is not so good now as it seems it matters not when the order was placed but where you live.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

I am really a little put off right now with Varjo. What good to get in early on the pre-order on day 1 when apparently they are only servicing European customers first no matter the place in line.

Starting to get a bad taste in my mouth for Varjo. I guess the only upside is in perhaps the software maturing a bit during the wait. But my experience so far with the pre-order is not so good now as it seems it matters not when the order was placed but where you live.

Doubt there is anything like a 'geographical preference' ... would think it is more to do with logistics / customs / shipping / distributors and the likes

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Varjo supports reprojections (1:2, 1:3, 1:4, and so on).  It just doesn't have functioning motion smoothing at the moment (called motion prediction in the software setting), this is coming though.

2 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Doubt there is anything like a 'geographical preference' ... would think it is more to do with logistics / customs / shipping / distributors and the likes

Either that or US customers tend to be more vocal and entitled, lol.  Anyway, Euro customers are paying more so Iet them enjoy it first.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

On 1/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, Brainfreeze said:

seen this on varjo website...

Varjo Aero

When setting up Varjo Aero for the first time, you will need an internet connection to log in with your Varjo Account. Choose “Remember me” on the login screen to avoid having to log in every time. After logging in, you can use the headset without an internet connection.

Varjo Base will periodically ask you to log in again, at which point you will again need an internet connection.

Not sure what periodically means...

yikes..  this stinks of anti-consumer behavior.

9 hours ago, Maksim Savelev said:

Yes it does, but unfortunately, even Varjo base (Varjo software) supports OpenVR and OpenXR runtimes, it doesn’t support reprojections or motion smoothness 

Have you gone on the Varjo Gamers Club Discord to look for help? There is a sub-group "flight Sims/#dcs-world" there and Varjo, while not officially, "watches" that discord.. I do believe the Varjo requires SteamVR, is this part of the issue? Seems like many have run DCS with Varjo headsets quite successfully? My biggest worry is getting VRNeckSafer to work with it when it arrives, or pray DCS or IL2 institute their own solutions for checking 6 for us without owl-necks.. I have been in contact (use the form on Varjo's site) with support and they have been extremely quick to respond, and I don't even own one yet! As for the internet connection, you have to remember they are a company that wants their equipment to always be fully updated so every headset is the same to be able to support it well. I have 0 issues with that... IIRC every time I start DCS it looks for an update, no?

Edited by =LD=Icer

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

On 1/6/2022 at 5:19 PM, Maksim Savelev said:

It’s sad to hear you’ve got those broken pixels. I’m using my trusty HPreverb G2 as a back up! 
By the way way, I finally managed to run VR debug tool and swapped both eyes from top to bottom, and it worked somehow. Now everything looks great! But the simulator is not flyable yet and the reason is lack of reprojection for Varjo headset. And it’s very sad. Even paid for Varjo and got in my hands, I’m still flying with my previous one.

This fix? 

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

7 hours ago, Nodak said:

Trans-oceanic shipping is nearly a bust at snails pace, there's limited air capacity due to the ship backlogs, that means extra costs.  Can't blame them for waiting, its get in line pal, or pay off the troll.

The trans-oceanic shipping itself isn't too much of a problem, and customs here in the US seems to be getting things done pretty efficiently...its when the item reaches the "destination sorting center" that things seem to slow to a crawl.  Still waiting for some electronic parts that came all the way from China to the US in about 4 days, cleared customs in 1 day, and have been sitting in the sorting center for almost 2 weeks since then.  OTOH, items I have been ordering from the UK get to my door in about 2 weeks.  Seems like the US west coast ports of entry are a real bottleneck right now.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I did not have any delays with shipments of some Virpil hardware. It was pretty quick really. But that was coming from Belarus I think.

I think Varjo has just not started shipping to the U.S. now for whatever reason. Not real happy about that. The whole point on jumping in early on a pre-order was hopes to get the device - early.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

16 hours ago, Neelfy said:

Hi Maksim

I got my Aero yesteday and immediately noticed the distortion same as you.

Hopefully there will be some kind of fix. I have been searching and found your post so if I do find any info on a fix I will report back and let you know.

Isn't this the fix? 

• Like 1