Varjo Aero Compatibility

Maksim Savelev

Hi!

I fixed this distortions with WMR debug tool. You’ll find how to use it above. When you’ve got DCS running with this debug tool window opened. You have to change (both eyes)!from top to bottom it will somehow fix everything. Unfortunately DCS is still unplayable for me because of lack of motion smoothness or reprojection available with Varjo Aero.

But what I don’t understand why this is even happening, that everyone has the same problem with Aero. It means Varjo haven’t been trying a DCS compatibilities ((. But why did they even call it Aero. There are not too many Flight simulators out there, and DCS one of the most popular….

Edited by Maksim Savelev
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Maksim Savelev said:

Hi!

I fixed this distortions with WMR debug tool. You’ll find how to use it above. When you’ve got DCS running with this debug tool window opened. You have to change (both eyes)!from top to bottom it will somehow fix everything. Unfortunately DCS is still unplayable for me because of lack of motion smoothness or reprojection available with Varjo Aero.

But what I don’t understand why this even happening, that everyone getting Aero has the same problem. It means Varjo haven’t been trying a DCS compatibilities ((. But why did they even call it Aero. There are not too many Flight simulators out there, and DCS one of the most popular….

I think their focus may have been mostly on MSFS 2020.

Has Varjo made any official statements on having a motion compensation? I was thinking it was supposed to be ready at release.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Has Varjo made any official statements on having a motion compensation? I was thinking it was supposed to be ready at release.

Ok but msfs have same problem

3 hours ago, dburne said:

I would ask them on their official support page...

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

4 hours ago, senya016 said:

Ok but msfs have same problem

Interesting at least from a couple of reviews I saw with MSFS 2020 it did not appear to have that problem.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 minute ago, Neelfy said:

Yip the WMR Debug Tool allow a fix. Makes the menu a little bit squiffy but I can live with that.

But turns out my Aero has dead pixel (like Wirzard has reported) so have raised RMA for replacement.

Yikes not good for a 2K dollar headset. None of my considerably lesser expensive ones have ever had a dead pixel.

Don B

Varjo just posted on discord regarding the dead pixel issue:

Addressing dead pixel issue. Today we have spent whole day identifying the issue. It was a gap in quality check process at manufacturer/factory of the displays panels. This will be eliminated as soon as possible, and the next batch of devices that will be shipped out at the middle of the next week will be manually rechecked before shipping. Every headset affected by a pixel issue will be exchanged without delay - ARMA - meaning you will get replacement first and only then Varjo will pick up defective unit. Please contact Varjo support if you are affected providing serial number of your device and preferably images of the the dead pixels taken with phone camera. As I said previously, all replacements will be manually checked before being sent out. Of course every replaced device's warranty will start from the date when you receive a replacement.

They also stated shipments to U.S. will start next week as well. Yay!

• Thanks 1

Don B

12 hours ago, dburne said:

Yikes not good for a 2K dollar headset. None of my considerably lesser expensive ones have ever had a dead pixel.

Defects are never good but happen to the best manufacturers. How they DEAL with it is what sets the stage for the future. From what I am reading Varjo has listened to the reports, identified and rectified the problem at the assembly line stage in China, and stepped up with this policy of re-ship a new unit immediately (BEFORE you ship yours back!). Unheard of in general, and once again has made me comfortable with my purchase (and wait..).

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

2 hours ago, =LD=Icer said:

Defects are never good but happen to the best manufacturers. How they DEAL with it is what sets the stage for the future. From what I am reading Varjo has listened to the reports, identified and rectified the problem at the assembly line stage in China, and stepped up with this policy of re-ship a new unit immediately (BEFORE you ship yours back!). Unheard of in general, and once again has made me comfortable with my purchase (and wait..).

Yeah fully agree with that - very glad to see how they jumped on this and are handling it.

• Like 1

Don B

Very good to see they are jumping on this issue to get it right. I was about to order one. 

One thing I would like to know is, is it all it is cracked up to be? I mean is it really that much better than a G2 or Pimax 8Kx? I want more clarity, less or no shimmer and larger sweet spot. 

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Very good to see they are jumping on this issue to get it right. I was about to order one. 
One thing I would like to know is, is it all it is cracked up to be? I mean is it really that much better than a G2 or Pimax 8Kx? I want more clarity, less or no shimmer and larger sweet spot. 

It is better according to a number of people who have used it on the criteria that you listed, but how much better is still up in the air since the sample size is still very small.

Then there’s this edge distortion and chromatic aberration which apparently is severe to some, but minimal to others. My hunch is it is going to be another controversial headset, and we’ll have better info when they start shipping outside Europe. If you don’t need it now just wait a few weeks for more reviews.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

16 hours ago, BMGZ06 said:

I would suggest you take a look at the most active Varjo discussion at he Varjo Gamers Club Discord. There are sections for DCS/IL-2, and general discussions.. New headsets are arriving daily and being written about/reviewed. I found the Quest 2 horrible, the G2 much better but not good enough, and have high hopes for the Varjo to pull me away from 2D..

Edited by =LD=Icer

Just got an email from Varjo, mine will be shipped within 2 wk.  Good news for US customers.

• Like 2

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

2 hours ago, Supmua said:

Just got an email from Varjo, mine will be shipped within 2 wk.  Good news for US customers.

:thumbup:

Nice! No email on my end yet.

Don B

Oops never mind I did receive an email early this morning stating the same - will be shipping in the next two weeks. Not sure how I missed that found it in my trash folder.

At least it is getting closer now. My order date was 10/21.

Edited by dburne

Don B

On 1/2/2022 at 8:37 PM, Maksim Savelev said:

Hello everyone! Just received my Varjo Aero yesterday. Today was struggling whole day making it work. Unfortunately, some weird distortion are happening during running of DCS. They are not the same, this headset is known for, those are seen in native software and games from steam running in SteamVR. Varjo base software supports both OpenVR and OpenXR runtime. Previously  I was running DCS using HP reverb G2 and running SteamVR for WMR headset application. I was also using a reprojection mode preferring high graphics settings with my RTX3090.  Now I’m starting DCS and I don’t know what kind of runtime it’s using. In fact I’m getting some weird distortion, like those normal ones but several times amplified and twisted I guess. Does someone have any advice on this?

@Maksim Savelev which version of DCS and Varjo Base are you using? Thanks.

If you have had other headsets installed it seems that SteamVR may get a bit "confused" and cause issues. Here is the definitive way to get SteamVR back to a fresh install for the Aero.. https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/2/1640917625015598552/

In a nutshell - 

1. Close Steam and Steam VR

2. Delete "default.vrsettings" from x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings folder

3. Delete "steamvr.vrsettings" from  x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Config folder

4. Delete "lighthousedb.json" from  x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Config\lighthouse folder (in my case coming from a G2 the Lighthouse folder was empty)

5. Start the Steam app, be sure Games and Tools are checked so SteamVR shows up in the list. Right click SteamVR then \Manage\UNINSTALL

6.Go back and look in x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\SteamVR\ folder, delete all contents under it.

7. Go back into Steam, select SteamVR, click the big Blue INSTALL button.. Done.

Edited by =LD=Icer
  • Thanks 2

Yay my Aero charge showed up in pending on my CC account this morning.

Maybe it will ship next week!

• Like 2

Don B

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, Brainfreeze said:

If Varjo 'connects' just to ensure software is up to date and not to gather info about what I do , where I live and how many kids I have then I am fine with it. 

Eye tracking comes with big and mostly unresolved privacy issues. I wouldn't take a Quest with eyetracking from Zuck, not for free!
For all that care: Varjo Base software has a privacy switch (under System). It restricts eye tracking data to foveated rendering use (and probably ─ though not explicitely said ─ to their automatic IPD adjustment), but blocks to all applications. If it does what it promises it's certainly a good thing!

21 minutes ago, J-1775 said:

Eye tracking comes with big and mostly unresolved privacy issues. I wouldn't take a Quest with eyetracking from Zuck, not for free!
For all that care: Varjo Base software has a privacy switch (under System). It restricts eye tracking data to foveated rendering use (and probably ─ though not explicitely said ─ to their automatic IPD adjustment), but blocks to all applications. If it does what it promises it's certainly a good thing!

I have it disabled - not sure when we might get apps that are able to use this eye tracking.

It would be nice if we did since we already have it built into the headset, but by time we do there will probably be newer headsets. With the Aero which is a quite nice headset we are paying for some technology we really can't use at this time. By we I am referring to flight sim enthusiasts.

Edited by dburne

Don B