PC Constantly crashes on Syria map only

e32lover

Hi, 

I'm running Steam DCS, I have a 3090 but the rest of my system's quite old, i7 6700k and all my other gear apart from the gfx card is from that 2016 period. The only thing I've changed is I got a new 1300w PSU as my old one died. 

I'd say 80 percent of the time it won't even load the Syria map, and then if it does load it, it will crash within less than a minute. It never crashes on any other maps. The funny thing is there are a few quick missions where it loads up fine, and it runs beautifully, but most don't work, and my PC crashes within minutes or during loading. I have all settings pretty much on max on 3440x1440 and as mentioned, all other maps run fine and if I do get lucky and successfully load up a Syria map it runs perfectly fine but that hardly ever happens. 

I noticed the 3090 is getting up to 79 degrees, not sure if this is normal. My CPU is all within healthy parameters so not sure what else it could be. Could it just be that my CPU is too weak, or my SSD is too old?

Thanks for your advice.

16 hours ago, e32lover said:

I'd say 80 percent of the time it won't even load the Syria map, and then if it does load it, it will crash within less than a minute. It never crashes on any other maps.

16 hours ago, e32lover said:

Thanks for your advice.

Please post a copy of your "Saved Games\DCS\Logs\dcs.log" after a crash loading the Syria map, as it may have important clues.

AFAIK, the most common reasons for Syria to CTD are :

1. Not having a large enough Windows Page File i.e. Min/Max should be set to 16384 (1024*16) or larger (32768)

Unfortunately DCS can run out memory when Windows is automatically managing the Page File.

2. Having too large a preload radius set in DCS>Options>System
• 16GB RAM --> 30,000 max preload
• 32GB RAM --> 60,000 - 100,000 max preload

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• ED Team

please attach your dcs log from the crash session, it should have some clues. 

If you overclock your gpu or cpu I often find it creates problems for users, so something else to consider. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Ramsay 

Thank you so much for your advice, I owe you big time. Fingers crossed that has fixed the problem. I have spent a few hours playing the Syria map all sorts of missions and not a single crash. 

I set the windows page file to 32768 and I reduced the preload radius to 60,000. I have 32gb ram.

My next question is what hardware changes are necessary to put the pre load radius back to max? 

At present I have nothing overclocked, i7 6700k, 32gb Corsair vengeance 2400, 3090 and a 1tb cheap samsung sata SSD.

Thanks again for your generous help. I play so much DCS that being able to play the Syria map has really made a big difference to my quality of life no joke. 

6 hours ago, e32lover said:

My next question is what hardware changes are necessary to put the pre load radius back to max? 

At present I have nothing overclocked, i7 6700k, 32gb Corsair vengeance 2400, 3090 and a 1tb cheap samsung sata SSD.

Unfortunately I don't know (these common recommendations come from ED's discord/community manager) - the question is why do you want to max your pre-load radius ?

Speculation

The impression I have is, the max pre-load radius (150 km) is a legacy from when DCS loaded textures, etc. off a hard disk and PC's were slower.

DCS has grown in size/detail so much that (since 2.5.x) filling RAM with as much pre-cached textures, etc. as possible can be detrimental as it reduces the memory available to DCS (Syria will take/cache ~54GB RAM if allowed).

At a guess, the size of the pre-load radius was always a compromise but now DCS is mostly run from SSD's, the balance has shifted to having a smaller radius.

IMHO if it's something you notice, I'd test that playing Syria was stable for a few weeks and then try increasing the pre-load radius to see how far you can push it.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Tosmonaute nice thread hijack! Hope you get your issues solved .

I will crank my preload radius up and attach my crash log. 

I'm pretty sure I noticed that with a lower preload radius the stuff in the distance like trees on the ground didn't look as detailed bit this is just a hunch.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, e32lover said:

Turned out my 5 year old 1050w seasonic platinum wasn't quite up to the task. Got it replaced under warranty and the problem disappeared. Was the most annoying problem ever to diagnose. 

Hey, I'm happy that your problem is solved, but I'm a little confused. In your OP you wrote, that the one thing you changed next to your GPU was a new 1300W PSU?

So which one caused the problem now? Or did I miss something?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"