Community A-4E-C v2.2 (October 2023)

Go to solution Solved by plusnine,

• ED Team

Old post locked and unpinned, new thread pinned. 

Thanks

Bignewy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Version 2.1.1 - 27 Apr 2023

Fixed

• Sounder interfering with ground units sounds.
  • Nav Systems breaking in some missions
  • Debug line being printed to the screen during sidewinder launch.

Version 2.1.0 - 30 Oct 2022

Added

• Systems:
    • AN/APR-25 RHWS (ECM)
      • With the AN/APR-25 Function Selector Switch set to REC and the APR-25 Switch in the ON position, a baseline system hum and response audio from a wide variety of radar-equipped units is produced at a volume determined by the the (inner) AN/APR-25 PRF Volume knob.
      • When the APR-27 Switch is in the ON position, detected missile launches from SA-2 S-75 "Fan Song" will produce an oscillating alert tone at a volume determined by the (outer) AN/APR-25 Missile Alert Volume knob.
      • The system's bit test is available to perform. With the AN/APR-25 Function Selector Switch set to REC, press the APR-27 Test button to initiate the bit test.
      • With the system in AN/APR-25 Function Selector Switch set to RPT, ECM will attempt to jam incoming radar signals. The green RPT light will enable when the system transmits.
  • Liveries:
    • Community A-4E V: Blue Team, 2022 (Fictional)
    • Community A-4E V: Red Team, 2022 (Fictional)
    • USN VX-5 Vampires, 1986 (Fictional)
    • USMC Naval Weapons Evaluation Facility, 1974
    • Operational-era USN and USMC liveries now have a customized, well-worn LAU-10 launcher.
  • Quality of Life:
    • Input accessibility options:
      • Added two UI Override inputs, which allow joysticks, gamepads, and other input devices to utilize mouse functions, or to use as modifiers in input layouts.
      • Input options previously available only on keyboards or joystick devices can now be bound to mouse button inputs.
      • Throttle - Slew axis.
      • Dual-axis rudder inputs (Rudder Left and Rudder Right).
      • Zoom axis inputs for fine zoom control across devices: Zoom View In, Zoom View Out, Zoom View - Slew, Zoom View In - Slew, and Zoom Out - Slew.
      • Throttle Increment slider in the special menu is available to adjust throttle rate for Throttle Increment/Decrement inputs.
      • A Custom Throttle Rate slider in the special menu allows you to adjust the acceleration rate for the new Custom Throttle Rate inputs. The keyboard defaults for these are RCTRL+PageUp and RCTRL+PageDown, respectively.
      • A Wheelbrake Differential axis is useful for mapping a single axis to the opposing left and right wheelbrakes.
      • Trim Speeds in the special menu are now adjustable by individually for elevator (pitch), aileron (roll), and rudder (yaw), with percentage sliders. These settings also affect the Trim Reset (Hold) speed. (thanks Drofseh)
      • A pair of comprehensive gamepad input presets for Xbox and PS4 controllers are included, which utilize many of the above functions. Once you are up and running in the pit, you can enjoy flying the A-4E-C with nothing but a humble gamepad and no additional software needed. (Thanks, Tuuvas)
    • Single inputs for the Canopy Lever. You can close the canopy with LSHIFT+C, and open it LSHIFT+LCTRL+C. (thanks Tanuki44)
    • Single and else inputs for Throttle Position Lock.
    • Input option for cycling the Bomb Arm Switch between the OFF, NOSE & TAIL and TAIL positions. The keyboard default for this input is 6.
    • Single inputs for the AWRS Quantity Selector Switch, AWRS Drop Interval Knob, and AWRS Mode Selector Switch.
    • Single inputs for AN/ARN-52 TACAN Mode switch.
    • Absolute and slew axis inputs for AN/APR-53A Radar Indicator Brilliance, Detail, Gain, Reticule, and Storage knobs.
    • Radar Antenna Tilt Continuous CW and Radar Antenna Tilt Continuous CCW have been assigned a keyboard default (- and =, respectively).
    • Inputs for APR-27 Test, APR-27 Light buttons.
    • Absolute and slew axis inputs for AN/APR-25 Missile Alert Volume, AWRS Drop Interval Knob, Gunsight Elevation Control, Gunsight Light Control, Instrument Lights Control, Shrike/Sidewinder Volume Knob, TACAN Volume Knob, and White Floodlights Control. Some non-axis inputs associated with these have been renamed. Users with extensive control schemes should adjust their controls to resolve any conflicts. (thanks gcask)
    • Input for Chaff Dispenser Select - Toggle 1/2.
    • Inputs for common communications, including A/A refuelling - "Ready for precontact" radio call, and Ask AWACS available tanker. (thanks gcask)
    • When the aircraft has power, the Seat Adjustment Switch can be used to move the baseline pilot head position up and down in the cockpit. (thanks nima3333)
    • Kneeboard Manual:
      • A a chart of weapon stations and their associated loadout options (page 3-7) in the kneeboard manual.
      • An overview of the included Xbox1 and PS4 gamepad layouts are available at the end of the kneeboard manual (pages 6-6 and 6-7).
  • Sounds:
    • AN/APR-25 RHWS (ECM):
      • AAA: New sounds are produced in response to the Fire Can SON-9 fire director radar.
      • Aircraft: New sounds are produced in response to aircraft search and tracking radars.
      • EWRs and Ships: Unique sound sets are produced in response to ground and ship EWRs. A new sound is also produced in response to ship tracking radars.
      • SAMs: New sounds are produced in response to the P19 "Flat Face" and S-200 ST-68U "Tin Shield" and SA-2 S-75 "Fan Song" sarch and tracking radars. Some Fan Song units will sound different, simulating the sound of different radar bands used in the field. New sounds are also produced in response to the SA-3 S-125 "Low Blow", SA-5 S-200 "Square Pair", and SA-6 Kub "Straight Flush" units. The number of different sounds a each radar produces varies by unit, so pilots will need to learn what their ears are telling them about what type SAM is targeting them, and how much launch warning that SAM provides from its PRF audio.
      • SPAAA Vehicles: New sounds are produced in response to the Gepard, Vulcan M163, and ZSU-23-4 Shilka "Gun Dish" radars.
    • Sounds are produced if the left or right wheels are skidding. Use this feedback to help you learn to taxi (as a sound you don't generally want to hear), and to avoid damaging the wheels or locking up the brakes by keeping them depressed for too long.
    • Seat adjustment hydraulic motor.

Fixed

• Systems:
    • Setting the AN/ARN-52 TACAN mode to REC no longer crashes the client. Addressing this issue means that A-4E-C 2.0.1 is not compatible with DCS versions after 2.7.18.30765, and A-4E-C 2.1.0 and later is not be compatible with DCS versions before 2.8.0.32066.
    • AN/APG-53A Radar Terrain Clearance - PROFILE/PLAN switch input binding functions properly.
    • Input from non-axis throttle inputs now cause the APC system to disengage properly.
  • Liveries:
    • Community A-4E III: Forever Free livery displays two digits on the flaps, matching the nose and tail.
  • Weapons and Loadouts:
    • CBU-2B/A pod weights are calculated correctly. Weapon release and spread cause fewer collision-based self-destructs when the weapon is released.
  • Quality of Life:
    • Throttle Increment and Throttle Decrement inputs function properly.
    • The trim reset input now properly adjusts the position of the Rudder Trim Switch.
    • Kneeboard Manual:
      • Waypoints on the navigation page enumerate 11 waypoints, and can't overrun the instructions on the page.
      • Placing a 300 gallon tank on the centre pylon enumerates properly on the kneeboard loadout page.
      • Corrected erroneously listed procedures for ground radar.
      • Corrected erroneous procedures for air refuelling.
    • VR hand positions: Users are encouraged to enable Use Hand Controllers, Hand controllers use Cockpit Stick, and Hand Controllers use Cockpit Throttle, and Hand Interaction Only When Palm Grip is Obtained. Be aware that it is easy to accidently power down the engine if you touch it with your virtual index finger while holding the grip button. Always approach the throttle with your finger above it.

Changed

• Missions:
    • Changed a few liveries in the included mission sets to better reflect available livery sets.
  • Liveries:
    • Unmarked and Community liveries are now available to a wider selection of countries.
    • Updated USN VC-1 Challengers.
    • Updated a few knob textures.
  • Weapons and Loadouts:
    • In multiplayer, the serve, and any connected clients must all use this version of the module (or later) in order to prevent weapon conflicts arising from custom weapons.
  • Quality of Life:
    • Default inputs for Throttle Position Lock are set to RCTRL+HOME (Step Up) and RCTRL+END (Step Down).
    • Emergency Stores Release Handle default input changed to LCTRL+J. (think J for jettison!)
    • Differential wheelbrake inputs default inputs are changed to LCTRL+W (left) and LALT+W (right).
    • The controls indicator's nosewheel caster indicator now displays logarithmically, making it easier to see those early changes in castering and better reflect nosewheel sensitivity to turn rate. (thanks, Drofseh).
    • Refactored the special menu for easier editing in the future.
    • Kneeboard Manual:
      • Added additional guidance and notes on AN/APR-25 RHWS (ECM) operation.
  • Sounds:
    • Improved input response and dynamic range of AN/APR-25 PRF Volume, AN/APR-25 Missile Alert Volume, Shrike/Sidewinder Volume, and TACAN Volume knobs.
    • Reduced the relative volume of the AN/APR-25 operational "hum".

Edited by plusnine
  • Like 4

Very impressive work, definitely ranks up there with top modules whether paid or not!

Why can't donations be accepted? There should definitely be some kind of financial reward for this much work!

Thank you.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

this may seem very old-fashioned in the 21st century, but i'd prefer both the project and myself to remain completely unassailable where money is concerned. too many people have made too many contributions to the project for anyone, but perhaps especially me to be handling or distributing money related to the project. not doing so means people can bring their full selves to the project when contributing, and never have to feel poisoned by who is getting compensated, or by how much, and feel secure that they are in the company of other volunteers who are doing the same. if you have money to burn, there are so many good places you can be throwing it at right now other than in our direction. be a hero and do that instead.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Best reward is the smile in my face everytime i jump on the Scooter. 

Unforgettable moments.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon
  • Like 2

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Wonderful!  thank you to all that have contributed to bring this all together.  really appreciate your labor of love efforts!  fantastic mod!

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Very impressive work! Just tried it in VR. The audio/visual feedback is great!

A big thank you to the developers and contributors! A very welcome addition to my hangar! 👍😁

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Back in time I spent 3 years working on free map for old IL-2 so I know..

Today I downloaded it and it is a neat little jet, cramped cockpit but I felt like at home from the beginning. On par with official modules. Thank you for your work, talent and perseverance.  

S!

Hello guys,

thank you so much for this absolutely amazing work - what a beautiful airplane!!! Really nice and with lovely details.
You did a very very good job, a piece of art... and to be honest, I have some payed modules that don't look as good
as your mod. Thank you very much guys.

Cheers

48 minutes ago, bC3660 said:

Will this paint be added or can it stilll be used on this version?

VX-5

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315538/

Great question!

There are some changes to material names this update (to prevent any possible naming conflicts in the future), but it should be fairly quick to update any livery's description.lua to match the new format if you have one that needs "fixing" - however, I do recommend any interested livery creators grab and use the new paintkit, as it includes new details that folks might want for the top and bottom sheet.

Edited by plusnine

1 hour ago, bC3660 said:

Will this paint be added or can it stilll be used on this version?

VX-5

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315538/

I’ll get around to having a look at it when I can.

I haven’t had time to instal the latest A-4 version yet but will do so soon.

If the paint kit hasn’t changed substantially since that was posted it should still work.

As @plusnine says there may be some differences in the lua description which can be easily fixed by the user. I will have a look at that as well.

• Like 1

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Awesome work, excellent Mod.

If I could get some info regarding exporting the radar to second monitor?

I use to be able to export the Radar but not able to now.  Has there been a change to the A-4E-C\ ... \RADAR\indicator\init.lua?  I modified the name of the assigned viewport to match my MonitorSetup lua in DCS.  No joy.

Thanks for this making this mod.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

15 hours ago, plusnine said:

this may seem very old-fashioned in the 21st century, but i'd prefer both the project and myself to remain completely unassailable where money is concerned. too many people have made too many contributions to the project for anyone, but perhaps especially me to be handling or distributing money related to the project. not doing so means people can bring their full selves to the project when contributing, and never have to feel poisoned by who is getting compensated, or by how much, and feel secure that they are in the company of other volunteers who are doing the same. if you have money to burn, there are so many good places you can be throwing it at right now other than in our direction. be a hero and do that instead.

@plusnine

Absolutely awesome attitude to have! Doing something you love, that also brings happiness to other people and not having money be a motivator to do it can be a reward like no other.

It also means you are probably going to obtain financial wealth in the future if you haven't already lol.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

Hi I have downloaded the new version of the A4E mod uninstalled the old mod (RC1) and deleted the config files mentioned, in the readme, the new A4 mod does not show up in DCS when I boot it up at all now, this the first time I have seen this with the A4

The mod has been installed to the following directory  as directed

C:\Users\Hotdognz\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\MODS\Aircraft\A-4E-C

Any ideas ??

Just retried the previous version A4-E RC1 and it works fine

Edited by Hotdognz

7 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

Hi I have downloaded the new mod uninstalled the old mod and deleted the config files mentioned, in the readme, the new A4 mod does not show up in DCS when I boot it up at all now, this the first time I have seen this with the A4

The mod has been installed to the following directory  as directed

C:\Users\Hotdognz\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\MODS\Aircraft\A-4E-C

Any ideas ??

I had a similar issue with another mod the other day - the RAFALE 005 pack. I found the problem, so check:

In DCS go into the module manager and have a look in the tab "installed". Here make sure your mod is not
disabled (green slider button).

• Like 1

Checked in there it didn't even show up there which makes me think the mod has not hooked into DCS some how as I also dont get the A4 icon, I have all the files in the correct place as I have had the mod install for many months now with no issues except  this version

• Like 1

Outstanding mod!!  I flew v1.41 a lot before.  But now, with inflight refueling and radio, useful radar, bomb computer and APC...it's just an awesome mod.  I can't wait for there to be an angled-deck Essex-class carrier to fly it from (along with the future F-8J Crusader).

Nosewheel steering:  a bit of controversy, I suppose.  I think many of us want a choice, if possible, to have to nosewheel steering or not.  (I still have to check out the "rudder applies differential braking" option).  I think steering by differential braking would be fine, except, at times, at walking speeds, the brakes seem to fade or have no effect.  Since my rudder pedal toe brakes have no feedback at all, I can't tell when the wheel locks up.  Or is it locking up?  There are times when I have full brake input on one side applied and there is no response.  The aircraft just keeps moving straight ahead.  As if below a certain speed, the brakes don't function individually.  I'm not sure what the exact problem is or for sure what's happening.  I just know that steering is sometimes not functional at very low speeds....which makes maneuvering on a small carrier deck very difficult.  One time I went off the edge of the deck with full left brake and then both brakes pressed.  It just wouldn't turn or stop.  That's unsettling and seems unrealistic.

Approach to carrier Clemenceau (mod)...LSO constantly tells me I'm lined up left when I'm visually right on centerline and then waves me off.  I have to land right of centerline to come aboard without a wave-off.  Is that a carrier mod problem or A-4E-C mod problem?  The AI A-4E-C's seem to always line up well right of centerline and often take a wave-off, too.

Approach to carrier Melbourne (mod)...I can't seem to get the hook to catch a wire.  I do bolter after bolter, having been on the ball and on center.  Again, is that the carrier mod or the A-4 mod?

Feature request:  Can you make the radar show airborne targets, too?  I've read a real-life pilot account of using the A-4E's radar to locate an airborne tanker or wingman.  I know it has no tracking or weapon guiding function, but just a simple search function that would show airborne targets of sufficient radar return strength, or radar cross section.  Actually, use the existing Search function, just add appropriate strength echos for airborne targets when antenna elevation is adjusted so that the radar beam sweeps an aircraft.

Feature request:  A-4E Tanker.  Will it ever be possible to have a functioning Air Refueling store "buddy tank"?  If not on the flyable version, could we at least have an AI version?  Maybe a KA-4E (AI) to distinguish it from a regular A-4E (AI)?  Or just A-4E-C Tanker (AI)?

Can you make the A-4E (AI) show slats fully deployed when below a certain speed or with gear down and when parked or as a static aircraft?  And a few degrees more nose-high attitude when parked or a static aircraft?

Feature request:  Can you make the rotating beacons appear to "flash" when viewed from the sides?  Can you also include the fuselage lights...which I believe are on the forward, underside of each wing, outboard of stores stations 2 and 4?  I've seen pictures of these on a real A-4L.  I think the 'E' has them, too.  Or they might be outboard of stations 1 and 5 on the 'E'.

• Thanks 2

My turn! 🙂
Flew the Scooter before this release and it was fantastic, now it's "fantastic+" - is it really a free comunity mod? You gotta be kidding! She sounds great (many a paid module sounds way worse, especially some 3rd-party modules), the cockpit looks just lovely and I love the illumination inside. EDIT: Oh, and the yellow vacuum cleaner, where else one gets this?!
All I can say is just... thank you! It's a great, high quality module and fun to fly for multiple reasons.
Stellar work, gents! :clap_2:Hats off!

Is this a good place to ask a few questions?

1. I still experience an error in the altimeter indication due to pressure setting. Yesterday, on a mission start in Kutaisi, the altimeter showed around 0 ft (or perhaps 10 ft - more or less the correct altitude), but the Kollsman window was showing 29.92 (I didn't touch anything), while in reality in this mission the pressure is 30.16. Am I doing something wrong, need to select a better static source or something, or is it still this mysterious issue with how DCS reports bar alt?

2. This may be a feature in the Scooter itself, I just don't know. Gunsight brightness knob. It goes from dimmest to brightest within half of the knob's rotation and when you keep rotating, it suddenly drops to 0 brightness, then keeps getting brighter again. Like "two cycles" of dimmest->brightest along the full rotation (instead of one cycle). Is it a bug in the module, or some fancy gizmo in the Scooter? Or maybe it is something messed up on my end, though I'm having this regardless of whether I'm using an axis or the mouse.

3. Roll rate. AFAICR, I set the roll axis saturation to something like 15-25%, otherwise A-4 rolls like a spinning top. Is it something on the to do list? Basically I'm fine with my settings, but the point is - I don't know what settings are realistic, should she roll a bit more or a bit less? I'd just prefer to fly like the real thing, give or take, not a fantasy airplane arbitrarily created by myself with the saturation slider.

4. I concur with @Andrew8604's opinion. There's something (quote) "unsettling" about NWS, differential braking that is. See, at this point I haven't a faintest idea how this should feel. All planes with this kind of steering feel very different in DCS: A-4, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, L-39. All so different in this respect. Is there really some objective truth out there? If you asked me (a layman), L-39 feels most credible, but frankly - how can I tell?
As for the Scooter, I don't want to repeat everything what Andrew wrote, but I also sometimes feel something like "fading", it's hard to explain. Yeah, I've experienced "nice" emotional fading in a car, trying to slow down from like 100 to 30 mph before that other car which suddenly materialised just in front of me, but here, on a taxiway - she's going slow and sometimes the brake (left or right) seems to "catch" better and sometimes she hardly does anything. Maybe it's just my brain failure of sorts, wrong perception, don't know, but "unsettling" is a great description to this.

All these things, of course, don't change the general view that A-4 is a gorgeous module! 🙂

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

13 hours ago, Helles Belle said:

I’ll get around to having a look at it when I can.

I haven’t had time to instal the latest A-4 version yet but will do so soon.

If the paint kit hasn’t changed substantially since that was posted it should still work.

As @plusnine says there may be some differences in the lua description which can be easily fixed by the user. I will have a look at that as well.

Thanks!! I will wait to install it till I hear back from you!