Community A-4E-C v2.2 (October 2023)

Go to solution Solved by plusnine,

In many aircraft in the real world, a free castoring front wheel allows the pilot to pivot the aircraft around the inner tyre, thus allowing for even smaller turn radius than with NWS. At the price of increased tyre wear of course.

In DCS, not so much. Ground physics are sometimes weird.

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The A-4E Community nosewheel acts similar to IL-2 Great Battles P-39 Airacobra and Me-262, so I hadn't difficult to understand the procedure.

Edited by =Skywarp=

RYZEN 7 2700 3.2 GHz / GAINWARD RTX 2070 / 32 GB RAM 3200 MHz / ASUS PRIME B450M / M.2 NVMe KINGSTON 1TB / SSD SANDISK 480GB / HD 2TB SATA3 / CORSAIR CX650 / AOC AGON AG322FCX MONITOR / THRUSTMASTER T.16000M FCS / CUSTOM HEADTRACK

F-14 Tomcat Side View.png

4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

The castoring behaviour seems a little odd to me too. It isn't usually a problem on an airfield, but can get awkward quickly on a carrier with any obstructions at all. Particularly with the sort of relative wind over the deck needed for launches at high weights, since it tends to turn into the wind even when you don't want it to. Modelling the guy with the tiller clearly isn't practical, but it did occur to me that a (hopefully) relatively simple fix might be to add some sort of 'straighten nose wheel' command that could only be activated when the aircraft was stopped. This might at least simulate the deck crew helping out with steering to some extent, without making everything too easy.

I think you have given a good idea to eliminate this inconvenience. I hope the community will listen to you.

I was most definitely out of date!!   Dang!  I guess I kept looking at:  Community A-4E Project | The Community Repo for A-4E-C and its Official Submods (heclak.github.io)   ....and kept seeing version 1.4.  I thought work on the A-4E-C had reached its end.  I think that page needs to be updated!!

I have version 2.0.0 now.  Wow!   This is one sweet mod, now!  I've discovered a lot!

Radios work.  It seems, not always, but often, you need to set the correct UHF comm frequency to get a response.  Good.  You can program the Channels and use them, too.

Flight Model:  Feels much more fluid and properly limited, now.  The clean A-4E is a scooter!  Start hanging things under the wings and it really drags down.  Even a pair of Sidewinders is a drag.  I think this is realistic, though.  And yet you can hang 12 Mk-82's underneath and still fly reasonably well.  That's a 6,000 lb load on an ~11,000 lb aircraft! (not including internal fuel).

In-flight refueling:  You can refuel from the KC-130 and S-3B Tanker (probably the KC-135 with the 'basket', too).  It seems like you must have the tanker's UHF frequency set on your comm radio to communicate with the tanker...which makes sense.  It sure would be nice to have an (AI) A-4E-C Tanker that would carry the refueling store on the centerline and 300-gallon tanks on pylons 2 & 4 (and no pylons carried at stations 1 & 5).  Would also be nice to have an (AI) KA-6D Tanker (carrying five 300-gallon tanks) and KA-3B Tanker in DCS.  An (AI) A-1J Skyraider with external tanks and external refueling store would be nice, too.  (And an (AI) Grumman E-1B Tracer as the AWACS).  Throw in an angled-deck Essex carrier and this would be all set for Yankee Station...but those other planes are outside this mod, I know.

Carrier Landings:  I can make approaches to carriers now and get the FLOLS to appear and LSO to comment on my landings (not sure if that comes from having Supercarrier module).  Although, the LSO's lateral guidance seems to be off-center for the Melbourne II and Clemenceau carriers.  But if I ignore that, and ignore the "wave-off, wave-off", I can catch a wire practically every time on Clemenceau (but not on Melbourne).  No more exploding!!  I haven't found the correct version of the Hermes carrier that has arresting wires, yet.

APC:  The automatic power compensator (auto-throttle) works very well and makes carrier approaches much easier.  I set elevator trim for 6-deg., full flaps, gear down, hook down and engage the APC.  You have to hold the nose up quite high in attitude (realistic).  For those like me who are addicted to HUDs with velocity vectors, if you set the A-4's bomb sight to about 164 mil, the center of the sight is a pretty good indicator of where you're going in this landing configuration.  If you're high on the ball, hold the site about 5-10 mil below the end of the carrier deck and vice versa for being low.  The APC will take care of the throttle, and you'll make a controlled correction.  I can make nice, slow, stabilized approaches this way.

Radar:  Awesome!  Far, far improved over the one in ver1.4!!  It actually 'paints' recognizable terrain now.  It paints the ships at sea and buildings on land, too.  Unfortunately, it does not paint aircraft.  It "should" be able to, within range.  It wouldn't track or lock on any targets, but it should show those with sufficient radar cross-section...which can help in locating wingmen or tankers.  However, that may be a problem to implement, I don't know.

Bombing computer:  I used to have a hard time getting on the right dive angle, speed and release altitude at the calculated mil-setting on the bomb sight before.  Now, with the bomb computer, you set the sight at 0-mils and the Weapon Mode selector at CMPTR.  And set the radar to GRND mode.  Put the bombsight on the target at greater than 30-deg dive, press-and-hold the bomb release button and start a gradual pull-up.  The bombs release automatically at the required time.  In combination with the intervalometer, I can lay 6 Mk-82's down a row of targets pretty easily, now.  I'm not sure it works on ships at sea, though.

And I do all this in VR with a Rift S headset.

I know it says, "No plans to make any other versions of the Skyhawk", but an A-4B (Argentina A-4P) is going to be almost needed.  🙂  It should be able to use the same flight model, I think.  I'm not sure what all is in a flight model.  Different engine, J65-W-16, close to the same thrust (800 lbs less), but higher specific fuel consumption, I believe.  Smaller engine intakes.  Shorter nose and only 3 stores stations.  Same wing.  Same 20mm guns.  Same landing gear.  Same canopy and cockpit, bit with different instruments.  No radar.  No doppler drift/groundspeed indicator.  Older navigation computer, but same functions (I think).  It might not have the APC, either.  No bombing computer.  Much simpler weapons panel.  No avionics hump.  But it has a windshield wiper!  ...and the US Navy used this version as a fighter in the 1960's to defend ASW carriers!  🙂  It could still scoot and carry a couple Sidewinders.  I think it should be a future project once the A-4E has maxed out.  And as for a future mod?  How about the KA-3B Skywarrior?  No ejection seats!  Would pretty much only use it as a tanker, but it would be cool to fly around in.  Or else, the A-1J Skyraider?

• Like 3

Hello and thank you for this new A4!

But actually,it is impossible to fly the plane for me...

I did all the installation procedure(8 times) installed several times the microsoft's libraries, but still the same after several hours.

When i start a flight, i only see the map with the plane icon.

I can go to F2 and F3 views but to take control of the plane or go to F1 view it doesn't work.

The mod is active and i could edit the hotas controls.

I tried to make a quick mission with the ME, it still do the same.

Thanks for any Help, i do not know what to do more...

3 minutes ago, tosmonaute said:

I did all the installation procedure(8 times) installed several times the microsoft's libraries, but still the same after several hours.

I can go to F2 and F3 views but to take control of the plane or go to F1 view it doesn't work.

Check if the folder "C:\Users\<your user name>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\A-4E-C\bin" contains the files "A-4E-C.dll" and "ScooterAvionics.dll" (assuming your using the latest release version).

Open your windows control panel and under programs, verify the Visual C++ redistributable is installed:

image.png

18 hours ago, Calabrone said:

1597273595216.jpg

A1-H Skyraider would really be a great module.

O Dear Lord, how I hate tail draggers. In DCS, I absolutely suck with them. Its impossible for me. No matter how much I practice with TF-51, I cannot taxi, or land without ground looping or collapsing gear. If we must have a Navy radial engine attack, let it be S-3 Tracker.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tosmonaute said:

Have you at some point accidently tried to install the A-4 in the main game directory? Make sure that under <maingame>\mods\aircraft\... there is no A-4 entry. Delete if neccessary.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

11 hours ago, Copprhead said:

Check if the folder "C:\Users\<your user name>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\A-4E-C\bin" contains the files "A-4E-C.dll" and "ScooterAvionics.dll" (assuming your using the latest release version).

Open your windows control panel and under programs, verify the Visual C++ redistributable is installed:

image.png

Hi Cooprhead,

Yes it is V2 release.

Yes all is ok about both dlls.

And yes Visual C++are installed from 2005 to 2022.

For info: When i start a flight it goes to a map view.

Thanks for your help.

16 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Have you at some point accidently tried to install the A-4 in the main game directory? Make sure that under <maingame>\mods\aircraft\... there is no A-4 entry. Delete if neccessary.

Hi Hiob,

No it is in saved games and i cleaned totaly of all A4 entry before V2.

Thanks for your help.

8 minutes ago, tosmonaute said:

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Are you trying it from the Mission Editor or from an instant action mission?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

14 minutes ago, Hiob said:

You're welcome. Are you trying it from the Mission Editor or from an instant action mission?

Both, i tried to make a quick flight with the ME and i still have the same problem.

The plane start his flight with the map view. I am spectator and only can go to F2 F3 views?!!?!!???

14 hours ago, tosmonaute said:

update your game to DCS 2.7.9.18080.

8 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

O Dear Lord, how I hate tail draggers. In DCS, I absolutely suck with them. Its impossible for me. No matter how much I practice with TF-51, I cannot taxi, or land without ground looping or collapsing gear. If we must have a Navy radial engine attack, let it be S-3 Tracker.

I did not find the S-3 Tracker, but a Grumman S-2 Tracker.

1 hour ago, Calabrone said:

I did not find the S-3 Tracker, but a Grumman S-2 Tracker.

41 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Yes S-2. S-3 was the Viking.

Guys, I don‘t want to be THAT guy, but this is a very topic specific thread and you are slightly OT, aren’t ya? No offense!🙃

18 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Practice, then practice, and practice again!!

The P-51 (or TF-51) is one of the most stable taildraggers... if you try the Spitfire or the german fighters, you will see the real deal.

Edited by =Skywarp=

RYZEN 7 2700 3.2 GHz / GAINWARD RTX 2070 / 32 GB RAM 3200 MHz / ASUS PRIME B450M / M.2 NVMe KINGSTON 1TB / SSD SANDISK 480GB / HD 2TB SATA3 / CORSAIR CX650 / AOC AGON AG322FCX MONITOR / THRUSTMASTER T.16000M FCS / CUSTOM HEADTRACK

F-14 Tomcat Side View.png

8 часов назад, =Skywarp= сказал:

Practice, then practice, and practice again!!

The P-51 (or TF-51) is one of the most stable taildraggers... if you try the Spitfire or the german fighters, you will see the real deal.

Why, most of German fighters that we have (two out of three, lol) are pretty stable. It's Bff.109 where the fun is at :shifty:

The P-51 has a locking tailwheel, and within limits, it is steerable (about 5 to 10 degrees IIRC). If you are doing ground loops in the P-51, it is only your own fault.

The Spitfire and Bf-109 are more difficult, because they have a free castering tailwheel. You have to learn to be careful, recognize very quickly when the tail starts to move off centerline (like always), and eventually when to expect it to move off center. It take practice and patience.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Sorry for the questions... I've read the manual, but...

1. Is it possible to make somehow LABS Warning tone a little bit quieter? 

2. If I use CMPTR mode for my Mk-82, how I can drop my bombs in the correct way? 
I set everything as it described in manual. Then found my target and dived. Then I saw "In range" warning and press and hold the release button. I heard LABS warning tone and pull stick. And due to loud LABS tone I could't hear when my bomb has gone. 
May be I have to continue to dive after the release button has been pressed until my bomb will start to falling?

Edited by kievbsm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kievbsm said:

Sorry for the questions... I've read the manual, but...

1. Is it possible to make somehow LABS Warning tone a little bit quieter? 

2. If I use CMPTR mode for my Mk-82, how I can drop my bombs in the correct way? 
I set everything as it described in manual. Then found my target and dived. Then I saw "In range" warning and press and hold the release button. I heard LABS warning tone and pull stick. And due to loud LABS tone I could't hear when my bomb has gone. 
May be I have to continue to dive after the release button has been pressed until my bomb will start to falling?

Re-read the manual for detail on clearance tones (in version 2.0.0, this is page 3-2 of the manual) - they release differently depending on what exact AWRS modes you use.

If you're not getting reliable releases, focus on trimming perfectly to the wind before you roll in on your target, and flying that even, no-yaw line over the target.

It takes a little practice, but you'll get it!

4 часа назад, plusnine сказал:

Re-read the manual for detail on clearance tones (in version 2.0.0, this is page 3-2 of the manual) - they release differently depending on what exact AWRS modes you use.

If you're not getting reliable releases, focus on trimming perfectly to the wind before you roll in on your target, and flying that even, no-yaw line over the target.

It takes a little practice, but you'll get it!

ok...

"the point 3-2:
Press and hold the Bomb Release Button over the target. The LABS
Dashboard Warning Indicator Light turns on, and the weapon release
tone is heard. In STEP mode, the tone and light clear when the Bomb
Release Button is released. In RIPPLE, the tone and light clear once
the release sequence completes."

These sentences were about which of my questions? 
I understood how this LABS Warning indicator works but I still have no idea is it present somewhere in the cocpit LABS volume button or not. 

Also as I said if you dive on targets with STEP mode, how you can understand when your bomb has been dropped and you can stop to hold the weapon release button? 
The LABS Warning is too loud and I can't hear when my bomb has left the pod. 

So, just to be sure:

1. Is it possible to change somehow in the cocpit the volume of the LABS Dashboard Warning?

2. When I use CMPTR mode should I bombing as CCIP or CCRP modes (to dive or to fly in horizon after weapon release button was pressed)? 

Edited by kievbsm
  • Like 1