Community A-4E-C v2.2 (October 2023)

Go to solution Solved by plusnine,

I am sorry I cannot get past the non functional deck steering of A-4E-C 2.0 . Its just the worst and its AFU in SC LSO speak. Its just terrible. Funny thing is that turning on Simple Steering option in Special Options does not actually return old fashioned rudder pedal steer. Anyway I don't use that option. There is no practical way to accurately line up on cat with this aircraft right now. But other then then ground steering, no complaints on this module. Especially since its a freebee.

A_4E_C_Supercarrier_deck streering_AFU.trk

@DmitriKozlowsky what are you using for the brakes - keyboard or pedals with individual axis.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Pedals. Its just works badly. More then once, when I trap in A-4E-C 2.0, I go to full power at ramp, then after aircraft is stopped, I throttle back to idle . I have HOTAS, and hold down toe brakes. I can see their application power in controls overlay. In SC those brakes magically do not work!!!!! With engine at idle, and brake applied, as soon as damn hook is released from wire, the aircraft shoots forward (like an arrow) and wheel brakes don't work. The aircraft rolls off the deck. If I am lucky the front gear caster will lock on an angle and aircraft just deck loops for a time, and winds up on front cats. Its BS! Its fouled up!! 

Interesting. I don’t have SC, so I don’t know if it’s just related to that carrier.

I have a simple mission I made in ME with the normal carrier, the Forrestal & the Melbourne side by side. I can launch and retrieve from all without problem. Taxing is tricky with the current A-4 version & it took me a lot of practice. But I can do a 180 degree turn on even the Melbourne.

I sort of know what you mean when you say it shoots forward after a trap. I have to get off the power and on the brakes quickly as when the wire releases the aircraft sometimes wants to jump forward. I have found to use that to my benefit. If I’m switched on, I can keep the role going to clear the landing area.

The only problem I occasionally experience is when I trap, sometimes the nose pitches up as I come to a stop. But I put that down to me either being too fast, too high or both on approach.

I’d be happy to get on one of the MP servers one day and just taxi around and do some circuits with you if you like to see if we can figure out what is going on.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Hola 

Ha sido un Mod tan bien creado y ejecutado , que ( opiniòn personal ) , se les puede perdonar a los creadores , cualquier pequeño error que hayan tenido 

Mi màs sinceras felicitaciones por èllo y ànimo a seguir adelante , yo estoy disfrutando lo indecible con el vuelo de tan increible aparato 

Actualmente he creado y hosteado una misiòn de arranque , despegue desde tierra y apontaje en Carrier , con los compañeros del Escuadròn E69 y no vean còmo disfrutamos con èllo

Saludos

30 minutes ago, STABROSS said:

Ha sido un Mod tan bien creado y ejecutado , que ( opiniòn personal ) , se les puede perdonar a los creadores , cualquier pequeño error que hayan tenido 

Mi màs sinceras felicitaciones por èllo y ànimo a seguir adelante , yo estoy disfrutando lo indecible con el vuelo de tan increible aparato 

Actualmente he creado y hosteado una misiòn de arranque , despegue desde tierra y apontaje en Carrier , con los compañeros del Escuadròn E69 y no vean còmo disfrutamos con èllo

estoy de acuerdo. es bueno que los desarrolladores hayan hecho esto y todo de forma gratuita. el español no es mi primera lengua por si suena infantil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

18 hours ago, jurinko said:

How to refuel mid-air without external tanks? AAR works with tanks attached, but clean A-4 takes no fuel despite "you are taking fuel" message. In despair I tried all combinations of air refueling-pressurizing-external tanks and bypass wing tanks-normal switches but no success. 

You want the switch in the FLIGHT REFUEL position to fill the tanks, but moving the switch again will disable refueling altogether - this is a bug with the refueling system in 2.0, which we've fixed for next time: https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/issues/506

Edited by plusnine
  • Thanks 1

Like others have said. Tap the toe brakes, and monitor the angle of the front wheel with the controls indicator. 

I find it easier in some of the other modules, and I have absolutely confidence in the devs.

The controls indicator is better than any modules in DCS, and I wish some official 3rd parties, especially those with diff brakes steering (MiGs?) would implement the same level of details! 😄 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Carrier taxi 180s.trkCarrier landing v5.trkCarrier line up.trk

Carrier taxi 180s requires HMAS Melbourne mod.

These are not instructional tracks - I don't do things 'by the book' - I haven't even read the book. So if anyone feels inclined to tell me what I'm doing wrong, great, post a track and show me. And I not having a go at any one.

I am just sticking up for the creators of the A-4E-C mod. They have done a great job - for free.

Personally I believe this Mod should be part of the core game - it's that good. I also believe they have modded the systems as close to real as possible. Including how the braking system (steering) works.

These tracks show what can be done (apart from the nose pitch up on the carrier landing). I hear a lot about not being able to steer or taxi around on a carrier (or land for that matter)

Sorry if you can't watch the 180s on the Melbourne. But I used that carrier as it's the smallest, therefore if you can taxi around the Melbourne you can taxi around anything. 

Using this mod requires practice & patience. It also makes a huge difference if you have rudder pedals with individual axis to mapped the brakes for each wheel.

I personally have no problem taxiing around any of the carriers. I also have no problems taking off, flying a circuit, landing, taxing up to the Cat and taking off again. In fact that is pretty much all I do with the A-4. Boring yes, but it's a release and it it keeps my eye in.

I am sorry for users having problems with the steering and such, as it must detract the enjoyment that this mod can bring. All I can say is make sure it's installed correctly, there aren't any other conflicting mods, thoroughly check the control bindings (double binds etc), tweak the axis bindings and practice.

Also head over to the discord channel if you want and find more discussion there. https://discord.gg/n4A4nZRV

• Like 2

image.jpeg

Helles Belle I agree with everything you wrote and I have a lot of fun with the Scooter, but despite having the pedal board I am honest I have a hard time on the deck of an aircraft carrier, while on the ground everything runs smoothly. I have downloaded your tracks and will take a look at them. Greetings from Italy.

Gday @Calabrone, good to hear you enjoy the A-4. I think it is the aircraft that I get the most satisfaction with. That could be because it can be so hard to master, who knows.

Another reason I thought of, that has been mentioned by others before, that could be causing problems taxing on carriers, is wind over the deck. I experienced this today when playing around and it was hard to turn in some cases, but not impossible & once aware of the problem it can be countered.

If you ever want to jump on a MP server and tear up a carrier deck doing donuts let me know.

image.jpeg

Hello!

Can I turn on the tacan in aa mode and track my wingman like I can in the m2000c?

In the m2000c the steps are:

• Set TACAN rotary to A/A and X or Y.
  • Use a separation between leader and wingman of 63 channels.
  • For example you on Channel 3 and your wingman on Channel 66.
  • Move the HSI rotary to TACAN.
  • You will see on the HSI distance display your distance with your wingman.

Is this possible in the A-4?

Edited by lukas_lb

The problems with steering the A-4 is that the "free castering" nose wheel is not free castering. There is some kind of resistance built in to it to prevent it from turning on it's vertical axis freely. It only gradually gives way to turns more than a few degrees.

This is especially apparent if the A-4 is stopped with the nose wheel turned 90° to the aircraft's facing. Release the brakes and accelerate the engine to where you should begin to role, and you will not move, because the nose wheel is turned against the direction of motion and will not rotate. A free castering wheel has not resistance to rotation - that is the meaning of "free" in free castering.

If you want a practical experience, go to the supermarket and get a shopping cart. The front wheels are free castering. Place the cart on level ground and turn the front wheels 90° to the facing of the cart. Now grasp the cart and gently start pushing it forwards. The front wheels will immediately rotate to the direction in which you are pushing and the cart will role in that direction. You do not need to apply more force if the front wheels start turned to the side than if they start turned straight.

• Like 2

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

8 hours ago, Helles Belle said:

Gday @Calabrone, good to hear you enjoy the A-4. I think it is the aircraft that I get the most satisfaction with. That could be because it can be so hard to master, who knows.

Another reason I thought of, that has been mentioned by others before, that could be causing problems taxing on carriers, is wind over the deck. I experienced this today when playing around and it was hard to turn in some cases, but not impossible & once aware of the problem it can be countered.

If you ever want to jump on a MP server and tear up a carrier deck doing donuts let me know.

Thank you very much for the invitation but I have not mastered the language and therefore cannot interact with other guys who are not Italian speaking. For the written I use the translator "DeepL" which is really fantastic. Bye.

hi, i don't know what am doing wrong.

i have CH Pro Throttle, with this setting (no curves).

with 100% travel, min on the carrier is 60% with Forrestal on catapult, but full throttle goes to 94% instead of 100%   this makes me go swimming 

Love the scoter will try to invest quality time with it... if possible getting the Syria Map... 

Screenshot 2022-02-02 162550.png

@cgjimeneza try ticking the slider box and see if that helps.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, cgjimeneza said:

with 100% travel, min on the carrier is 60% with Forrestal on catapult, but full throttle goes to 94% instead of 100%   this makes me go swimming 

Love the scoter will try to invest quality time with it... if possible getting the Syria Map... 

Edit:  I did click on the slider and played a bit with the curve, I get 99% thrust now... (I still swim from time to time, all the snake eyes and zunis are heavy...) 🙂

Other than the kneeboard in the mod, I found the following PDFs

A-4E-C Normal Procedures

DCS Community A-4E-C Community Guide

A4 Natops Pocket Check list (74 pgs)

A4 Natops flight manual (649 pgs)

anyone interested PM for a file share

Edited by cgjimeneza
add share option

10 hours ago, cgjimeneza said:

Check the calibration of your stick in windows. It's most likely off.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• plusnine changed the title to Community A-4E-C v2.0 (January 2022)
11 hours ago, Hiob said:

Check the calibration of your stick in windows. It's most likely off.

now working ok... now if I can get the G13 to work LOL...  but with CHs Fighterstick, Pro Thottle and Pedals, maybe later Track IR... (dont have that much time on my hands)

safe skies

• Thanks 1

Any ETA for 2.1 I saw somewhere on the YouTube?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

The A-4E however does have the AN/ARA-63 MCL for ICLS. See pages 1-3 and 6-4 and search for MCL for other references.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1