Community A-4E-C v2.2 (October 2023)

Go to solution Solved by plusnine,

I'm in the same boat (pun?), not getting rudder pedals and there is no way I can taxi around the carrier deck.  Try going back to Beta ver 2.01, I'm using it and it seems to be mostly the same but still retains NWS. 

This is not a criticism of the mod, just my own abilities. The A4 is so well done and addictive, I've been getting a few Skyhawk books on kindle to read about the real world pilots flying this machine.  Such as:

Tailhooker

Our Lives on the Line

Dead Men Flying

Rampant Raider

and just in the middle of Triple Sticks.

Edited by Reccelow
spelling
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2022 at 6:01 PM, Reccelow said:

I'm in the same boat (pun?), not getting rudder pedals and there is no way I can taxi around the carrier deck.  Try going back to Beta ver 2.01, I'm using it and it seems to be mostly the same but still retains NWS. 

This is not a criticism of the mod, just my own abilities. The A4 is so well done and addictive, I've been getting a few Skyhawk books on kindle to read about the real world pilots flying this machine.  Such as:

Tailhooker

Our Lives on the Line

Dead Men Flying

Rampant Raider

and just in the middle of Triple Sticks.

There were quite a few changes if you look at the changelog. You could use simple steering special option as One Eyed Ross suggested.

• Like 1

Thanks. Had tried that too, practiced a lot. No dice for carrier ops, once the nosewheel gets cocked I'm done. Tried all the bouncing methods, etc but my controls don't cut it for that.  Really need pedals and toebrakes.

And I really don't want to keep restarting the missions or do cat starts in the ME anymore so the beta is fine. Gives me the "feel" of the A-4 with most things working and no issues maneuvering around my crowded decks.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 4:16 PM, JNelson said:

There were quite a few changes if you look at the changelog. You could use simple steering special option as One Eyed Ross suggested.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way, and as a senior officer in my virtual squad I need to point it out: 

It is  still not good enough. In real life there are deck crew and tow bars, plenty of videos showing deck crew moving A4s on deck, never the pilot from the elevator.

I respect you guys a lot, but in my eyes you just make it more difficult than in real life for "realism sake" and you end up with more difficulty than needed. It might be realistic to you, it kills immersion for me and lots of pilots out there. It hinders carrier operations in multiplayer.

Anyways the Mod si brilliant in all regards and its the main Mount of my naval squadron. Thank you for so much!

• Thanks 1

I think a great compromise for overall realism would be for steering to be as it is now, with a separate "NWS/Towbar" bindable as well. When it is not used stand along steering with differential breaking applies, but when it is held the more precise and direct control takes over for such situation as when the plane would not be guiding itself.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

I think a great compromise for overall realism would be for steering to be as it is now, with a separate "NWS/Towbar" bindable as well. When it is not used stand along steering with differential breaking applies, but when it is held the more precise and direct control takes over for such situation as when the plane would not be guiding itself.

On the ground there is no problem moving to the runway, you just need to get the hang of it and those who have a pedal set with the ability to use the pedals as independent brakes, as I have, get used to it quickly. On the aircraft carrier instead is a total mess, unless you are positioned directly on the catapult, and then there would be need to be positioned automatically on the catapult, as happened in reality. In the version with the NSW running things were slightly better. Too bad because this great module loses its charm on the deck of an aircraft carrier. I hope they will think it over and make the change that has been requested by many.

• Like 2

Well anyone is welcome to implement some kind of towbar system and submit a pull request.

Don't take this the wrong way but even my brother who is terrible at DCS can taxi the A-4E on the deck, so not sure how it hinders carrier ops? We have had 10 people on the Forrestal all in A-4's just fine. It just takes a little practice and make sure your controls are setup. If you have trouble try use the special options. This has been discussed ad nauseum and the verdict is that NWS was never added to the A-4E, thus will never be added to our implementation. The latest version 2.0.1 has some minor tweaks to the nosewheel if you have not tried that might make it easier for you.

• Like 7

JNelson your brother is definitely better at this than I am, but despite all the new mods, I have a Thrustmaster pedal board, I'm still a sucker on the deck of an aircraft carrier. On the ground, no problem. So until I'm able to taxi on the deck of an aircraft carrier, I'll use the Marine insignia and stay on the ground. Hasta la vista.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Since yesterday something seems broke with my A-4.

It feels like some brakes are engaged (while controler indicator says, everything is fine and controller settings seem to work in nromal conditions as well).

i turn right and why ever she wants to turn right more and more...it is nearly impossible to steer her to the runway (yesterday evening everything ran smooth). when i reach the runway and accelerate, after a couple of seconds my front whee breaks apart...

what the hell happened over night? 

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

Dear Eisprinzessin If you own the video, I would say that you have a pedal board and can brake with the pedals to steer the Scooter to the right or left, so you don't need the rudder. If you increase the speed too much the caster tends to get stuck and in fact I find great difficulty taxiing on aircraft carriers ( Stennis or Forrestal ). RPMs should never exceed 75% during cab. When you take off don't touch the brakes to keep the Scooter in trim, but use the rudder instead: in fact I saw that your front suspension ( caster ) gave out.It looks like you are on the Marianas map and when I had tried it I had had some difficulty because I felt that the wheels were too much on the ground. I will try it again today and then let you know something if you are interested. Hi.

• Like 2

As i said i know how to steer the A-4 and it was never a big problem imho, but i found the reason for this strange behaviour:

She was just to fat!

I was putting some Rockeyes and CBU Cannisters on her and was at around 176% weight. This gave me to flat rear tyres directly after spawning. OK, my fault...i just overlocked the red marks in the loadout settings.

But thanks for your help anyway!

• Like 2

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

16 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

As i said i know how to steer the A-4 and it was never a big problem imho, but i found the reason for this strange behaviour:

She was just to fat!

I was putting some Rockeyes and CBU Cannisters on her and was at around 176% weight. This gave me to flat rear tyres directly after spawning. OK, my fault...i just overlocked the red marks in the loadout settings.

Of course it was a pleasure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eisprinzessin said:

She was just to fat!

Yes this is a bug with the CBU-2 pods being 5 times there actual weight, you should use the CBU-1 pods instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

A-4 Multiplayer Event:

Operation Arab-Israeli-War kicks off next Saturday, 18.06.2022, around 1800 zulu.

* Make sure your A-4 mod is up to date.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Calabrone said:

Too bad I don't speak English so I would only be in the way I have the A4E and the Huey. Hi and happy flights.

It's fine, mate. Just grab an A-4 and have fun. The briefing images should help you understand the objectives better.

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com