Is there any where that the FA-18 beats the Mig29?

CBStu

Is the 18 > the 29 at high altitude? Is the 18 > the 29 at low altitude? Is the 18 > the 29 in diving or climbing? Is the 18 > the 29 turning?  I am getting tired of being shot down and readily understand it is probably mostly me. But I have read many books about fighter pilots where they found their plane was better than the enemy in a certain performance area so they tried their best to direct their dog fight to use that advantage.

Are you talking raw performance numbers?

In BFM the Hornet should win, but it's a close one. The Hornet has better at turning in every situation, better BVR weapons, and better avionics. The MiG can Fly faster and higher but has poor fuel capacity. In DCS BFM vs AI you should destroy a MiG.

1 hour ago, CBStu said:

Is the 18 > the 29 at high altitude? Is the 18 > the 29 at low altitude? Is the 18 > the 29 in diving or climbing? Is the 18 > the 29 turning?  I am getting tired of being shot down and readily understand it is probably mostly me. But I have read many books about fighter pilots where they found their plane was better than the enemy in a certain performance area so they tried their best to direct their dog fight to use that advantage.

Check out a YouTube channel called GVad The Pilot. He's one of (the?) leads for Red Star Simulations working on the DCS MiG-17. He has a great few dogfight videos on his channel, and one is flying the DCS F/A-18C against the DCS MiG-29 Ace AI. He gives great tips and tricks and even demonstrates what to do if the MiG gets on your tail. He really highlights the Hornets strengths and how to exploit them against the Fulcrum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Overall i think really practice your turns and flying by the numbers. Like doing turns where you practice keeping your speed constant , in horizontal turns and vertical loops. It takes retraint to manage and controll your speed. Its realIy easy  to pull to much on the stick and loose your speed to fast. I think getting a good understanding of those skills will help you againts any plane. 

Edited by Gonzzo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gonzzo said:

...Its realIy easy  to pull to much on the stick and loose your speed to fast. I think getting a good understanding of those skills will help you againts any plane. 

Yes it is. I have been re-arming so I have 9Xs instead of 9Ms so I can use the helmet device. This way I can get a shot off w/o needing to do a complete 180. What do you guys feel is a min speed- as I turn and bleed speed, how low to let it go before easing off on the stick? 350? 400?

17 minutes ago, CBStu said:

What do you guys feel is a min speed- as I turn and bleed speed, how low to let it go before easing off on the stick? 350? 400?

There are many variables here, but for me, as a general rule: I'm easing off b/w 300-350 and trying to never get below 250 unless I'm ready to cash-in.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• Thanks 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

F/A-18C has phenomenal nose authority. Its easy to overpitch it, which is why there is an override. Mig-29 was designed as response to F-16/F-17 FX Light program, which birthed FA-18. Fulcrum and Hornet are more analogues of each other then Fulcrum and Viper. Of course Viper and Hornet have mode advanced avionics and sensors. But Fulcrum has R-73. Something that neither F-16 or 18 had analogue to until AIM-9X.

However, in DCS, Mig-29S is most deadly WVR type. I suppose its just how Mig-29S is programmed in DCS. 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:11 PM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

F/A-18C has phenomenal nose authority.

this! i have had success with mig29 on my 6. drop throttle and give some serious rudder, sometimes makes the mig overshoot. once it passes, give it throttle, do a rolling scissors to get on its 6. make sure you anticipate the mig turn and have aoa in front.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2022 at 10:17 PM, Jetguy06 said:

Check out a YouTube channel called GVad The Pilot. He's great few dogfight videos on his channel, and one is flying the DCS F/A-18C against the DCS MiG-29 Ace AI.

Strangely I couldn't find the video featuring this combination by the YouTube search function. 

Thanks to the link above I found it but it seems to only address WVR dogfight. 

I don't see how we would get WVR with a Hornet in the first place. The Ace AI Fulcrum will launch on you first with 27T and you wouldn't even get a lock warning on your RWR

Edited by Rongor