Some Questions Regarding the Jf-17's Radar

In the tracks provided below you can see that I ran a test in which I had an f-16 coming at me at 30,000ft and Mach 1.  Flying an f-16 myself at the same speed and altitude, I was able to pick up the target on radar at about 41 nautical miles out. In an f-18, I was able to pick up the target at around 44 nautical miles. In the Jf-17, I was able to pick up the same target at around 53 nautical miles and bug him at around 51. Now I am no expert on radars, but is the Jf-17's radar performance still too good? Perhaps I am wrong, but I find it somewhat difficult to believe that the 17's radar can best the 16's radar and especially the 18's. Additionally, in the final track I provided, I was able to pick up the f-16 at the same range in the Jf-17 while I was jamming him. Again, perhaps I am wrong but wouldn't the jammer at least steal some power from the radar if not turn it off completely like in the f-16 and f-18? Things just seem a bit odd here. 

F-16 Detection in F-16.trk F-16 Detection in F-18.trk F-16 Detection in Jf-17.trk F-16 Detection in Jf-17 With Jammer On.trk

• Like 1

Well F-16 and F/A-18 are using a 80's radar while the radar of the JF-17 is much newer. Also I belive that the Jeff radar dish is bigger than the ones of the Viper and Hornet. The Vipers nose is limited because of the air intake below it and the F-18 nose by the gun inside it. The JF-17 doesnt have those problems and so its nose provides more room for a bigger and much more recent radar.

Edited by Mike_Romeo

My skins

On 1/4/2022 at 9:02 AM, DCS FIGHTER PILOT said:

wouldn't the jammer at least steal some power from the radar if not turn it off completely like in the f-16 and f-18?

No, the SPJ jamming pod does not jam the JF-17 itself, and it doesn't need to steal power from the radar itself.