Which one is actual 'Stealth attack' mode?

karasinicoff

Hi, I just wonder...after read through Mig 29 manual.

It says FiO(Longitudinal) mode is a passive 'stealth' attack. Well.. I agree about that just like Mig 21 R-60 without radar on.

This mode with infrared missiles does not make noise on enemy's RWR at all right? 

Question 1 : what about Helmet, Bore etc close combat mode with a infrared missiles like R-73 ?

If I lock the target with Helmet mode..it rings RWR right? does not matter any missiles on?

Question 2 : IRST mode target lock is 'Stealth Attack' ?

This mode only use Infra red search camera so no matter what the enemy RWR does not make noise after lock and fire infrared missiles, right ?

If I am right, Why Mig 29 manual does not mention about IRST is 'Stealth Attack' ?

Those all my idea are correct? or wrong ? please advise me, Thanks 🙂

4 часа назад, karasinicoff сказал:

Hi, I just wonder...after read through Mig 29 manual.

It says FiO(Longitudinal) mode is a passive 'stealth' attack. Well.. I agree about that just like Mig 21 R-60 without radar on.

This mode with infrared missiles does not make noise on enemy's RWR at all right? 

Question 1 : what about Helmet, Bore etc close combat mode with a infrared missiles like R-73 ?

If I lock the target with Helmet mode..it rings RWR right? does not matter any missiles on?

Question 2 : IRST mode target lock is 'Stealth Attack' ?

This mode only use Infra red search camera so no matter what the enemy RWR does not make noise after lock and fire infrared missiles, right ?

If I am right, Why Mig 29 manual does not mention about IRST is 'Stealth Attack' ?

Those all my idea are correct? or wrong ? please advise me, Thanks 🙂

φ0 is a mode in which all the guidance is made by the missile seeker. It's a backup mode in case something is broken. RWR deals only with radar emissions, infrared systems (IRST and corresponding missile seekers) don't emit anything that RWR can work with. Helmet, Bore and Vertical modes select IRST guidance by default, so they don't emit anything either, but you can enable the radar to use in these modes as well.

So here's the thing
When starting an engagement, you can always choose which sensors to use. For BVR, Radar and IRST are mutually exclusive, giving you one, or the other display, but once you've locked on, or have switched to a BFM mode (HMD, bore, vertical scan), you can use both sensors at the same time, as well as both
You can see which sensors are active on the left side of the HUD (In english avionics - RL: Radar, EO: Electro Opitcal IRST

This means you can use both radar and IRST if you wish, but you can also use just one of them, in any mode

As for the warnings, as mentioned before, RWR only deals with radar, so as long as you only use IRST and IR missiles, you will not be warning your target by RWR.

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

First off, if your radar is on, you will be seen on RWRs in search mode, but fi0 mode will not result in any lock or launch warning (aside from on aircraft with missile launch detectors, which are A-10C, JF-17 I think, Mirage 2000 if allowed in mission, and upcoming Apache and Blackshark3).

In BVR mode, if your radar is OFF and IRST on, you can lock and shoot targets using any IR missile and they will not get any warning (again, unless it's an aircraft with a MAWS). However, your IRST uses a laser rangefinder, so aircraft with a LWR will get a warning, like Ka-50, and I think also the upcoming Apache.

Helmet sight, if used with radar off will not result in any RWR warning. Again though, if an aircraft has a MAWS that'll still go off when you launch a missile. 

• Thanks 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 7:14 PM, Wizard_03 said:

Be Careful, because it can also turn into team attack mode since you don't get IFF responses with IRST. 

If you press the radar toggle button while tracking a target with IRST, that would IFF the target without actually alerting it on RWR.