Considering a training campaign (Iron or Maple Flag)..

Bedouin

Hi,

I was wondering i seen there are these two campaigns covering the same training areas of the A-10C II... and is wondering which should i get, i don't think its necessary to get them both since its pretty much the same areas they are covering...

So was wondering what the A-10 community are preferring or recommending ??

The price isn't an issue, more the content and opinions from you guys 🙂

• Like 1

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

Hi @Bedouin

Im flying Iron Flag at the Moment, so:

the Iron-Flag is a real Training Campaign. Your Wingman told you what to do.

But only with Text and Voices (no highlighted Symbols like the Modul Trainings), but serveral Things like Landing and Takeoff  or Usage of Radios is being expected.

Maple Flag is like the name a "Training Qualification", so you must know the right procedure. For Example "EFATO".

When you make a mistake the mission will aborted immediately, and you must try again.

In my Opinion they are both very good Campaigns, they rather complement each other. 👍

But they are not suitable for absolute beginners i think

Sorry for my English 😊

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 3900xt 32 Gb DDR 4 NVIDIA RTX 4070ti

I have the original training qualification campaign modules (Maple Flag), and have commenced the Basic Aircraft Training - which I am finding quite tedious to be honest, hopefully the advanced and tactical will be better. It is almost that you need to trained and competent before embarking on them - so more of a test of what you know already rather than training as such.

As I posted elsewhere sometime last year I found the inbuilt training missions good for basic understanding, walking you gently through various systems and selections with nothing too manic, then branched out from there re-running them a few times to make them a bit more 'second nature'. I then set up my own 'simple' missions to practice with navigation, instruments, weapons, start ups, shut downs etc, gradually introducing longer nav runs to target, multiple targets, air defence and so on...

That aside I have just purchased the Iron Flag module as the description sounds interesting...

Edited by Leg2ion

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

Playing the Iron Flag campaign.  It's quite immersive and entertaining, BD always does a fantastic job with scripts and voiceovers.  I suspect it's not terribly realistic in how somebody would do basic (or transition, in this case) training, but it's pretty cool still.

The Maple Flag campaigns are probably more realistic but less entertaining.  There is an expectation that you know and have practiced the curriculum, otherwise you will definitely not pass.  Some parts are frustrating--I recalled one mission insta-failed because I was told to fly in a straight line, and then flew out of the MOA which is not in the mission briefing.

If you're a beginner, the Iron Flag campaign will probably be easier, but you'll still have to do at least some reading and practice to keep up.

Coming from the F-18, I am doing the Iron Flag and not even done the in built training for the A10c II. So jumping in the deep end. 

I have done M1-4 and i have to say there great fun, Hard? in some ways yes, have subtitles on and pause to read through stuff. Ive done each mission 2 times to take it all in and do everything right. e.g In M4 (3b) you need to taxi out of hanger before your lead, but enjoyed doing all missions more than once to fully get them right.

I really like it so far, No weapons use or talked about so far. Just "basic" training. But lots to take in and learn. 

David Murden.  MSFS2020   DCS   

10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E  32GB DDR4 CL14 3200MHz RTX 3080  Corsair iCUE H150i Pro XT 360mm 

Corsair HX850i Platinum Plus 2x 1TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2  Phanteks Enthoo Evolo X Case  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & TPR 

TrackIR • Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • Internet BT 75 Mbps Unlimited 

Airframes  A10CII • AV-8B • F-14A/B • F-16C • F/A-18C •  Supercarrier  Terrains • Nevada NTTR • Persian Gulf • Syria 

On 1/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, jaylw314 said:

I suspect it's not terribly realistic in how somebody would do basic (or transition, in this case) training, but it's pretty cool still.

This was something I was curious about. This is just jee whiz, I talked with someone I know who recently went through the B course and asked what the first flight profile is like:

First off they get about four weeks of academics on all the different jet systems and local area procedures, then they get three simulator rides. The first simulator is for local area procedures and to get familiary with normal ops and how to fly instruments in the jet. The second two are full up emergency procedures sims. So the student should be full up on how to do all the non weapons related operation of the aircraft by the time they get to the flight line.

His first ride in the A-10 the instructor stands on the ladder and is plugged into your comm cord until you get both engines started up (basically just watches to make sure they don't screw it up and answers questions, wasn't there to walk him through it), and then peels off to his own jet leaving the student to get everything set up on their own.

After that the student leads the takeoff with the instructor in chase (much further out than what the AI pilot flies in IRON FLAG), flew out to a MOA did some aerobatics, practiced traffic pattern stalls, did some simulated single engine flying, did a couple of aircraft handling exercises to get a feel for the jet and then they did a lead change and the student practiced flying in route/fingertip of the instructors wing for a few minutes and did a couple of turning rejoins. After that they left the moa and went and did every kind of instrument approach the A-10 can do at one of their auxilliary fields (PAR, ILS, LOC, TACAN, and a simulated single engine approach). Then they go home and land out of a straight in. Apparently the A-10 isn't authorized to do touch and gos so the all the approaches are down to like 20 feet and then they go around. First time the  wheels touch the ground are on their first full stop landing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For me the Maple Flags were more like a series of tests from a kind but very strict instructor. Very intense but very rewarding once missions were completed. I would not play them again just for fun, only to test my skills. Some missions made me nervous before restarting them after failing before, knowing the stressy moments that were bound to happen.

The Iron Flag feels way more loose and relaxed with less grading and has a nice storyline feel to it. They both teach differerent things.

I recommend flying and enjoying all of them. 

Edited by Ready
  • Like 3

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finished.

Really enjoyed it. The only mission I did once was the last one. So much to take in I enjoyed doing all the rest more than once.

Highly recomented if your new to the A10c and want to be talked/shown through everything. 9/10 from me.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden.  MSFS2020   DCS   

10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E  32GB DDR4 CL14 3200MHz RTX 3080  Corsair iCUE H150i Pro XT 360mm 

Corsair HX850i Platinum Plus 2x 1TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2  Phanteks Enthoo Evolo X Case  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & TPR 

TrackIR • Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • Internet BT 75 Mbps Unlimited 

Airframes  A10CII • AV-8B • F-14A/B • F-16C • F/A-18C •  Supercarrier  Terrains • Nevada NTTR • Persian Gulf • Syria