Reverb G1 Cable problems

Wali763

Hi. Sorry for making a new thread, but most G1-realted topics seemed too old for me.

I tested a few headsets in the past but always struggeled with  DCS-VR. Still on TrackIR and happy.

But Ive tested a Reverb G1 when it came out in 2019 for two days and sent it back. In spring 2019 I bought a new one and found it actually quite ok. But I had quite a few stutters (I guess related to my then PC) , that killed the experience forme so I resold it again.

A few days back I got a used Reverb G1 with the intention to check the state  of DCS-VR in 2022. The unit came without receipt but was reasonably cheap. I also specifically asked if there were any cable-problems, but the seller denied this and said he had no problems.

Well, yesterday I got the G1 and within 30 minutes I told the seller, that I think the unit has a cable-problem.

Within DCS the audio of the headset went silent within  a few minutes and the  sound went to the speakers of my monitor. I also had two crashes.

Within SteamVR-Home I had those audio-disconnects too, but they lasted for two or three seconds and then the sound was back. This was accompanied with a Volumesigne in the center SteamVRHome of "34" (when silent) that went back to "100" as the sound came back. I also tested GoogleEarth and also there  the  sound went away.

So it seems, that  SteamVR-Home can handle short  disconnects, that DCS  and  GoogleEarth cant.

These disconnectes usually happend on some movement of my head and I  was also able to partly reproduce those  when manipulating the cable close to the headset. So I immediatly suspected a problem with the cable.

HP-Support was not helpful either. They  confiirmed that there was  a  problem with the  cable  but since  warrenty  was  over they  could  not  offer  help. They simple do not offer  repair for VR-headsets nor do they offer to sell a spare-cable. I know its not that easy to remove as with the G2, but looking at a vid on  youtube it seems quite doable for me.

Does anyone have any idea, what I could do? For now I can use the headset with bluetooth earbuds and with those I used  the headset for two hours  without any problem. But I suspect, if the audio makes problems, someday (soon) also the video might.

Regarding the seller, he has only responded once yet but my gut tells me, that me might up for a legal problem, that could cost us more (money and trouble) this is all worth.

Im thankful for any input on how to "repair" my headset. Thx.     

Edited by Wali763

I'm quite surprised that they don't offer a replacement g1 cable at all. Perhaps have a trawl around the net and you may well find one.

As for the cable fixing it? I don't know, my G2 failed end of November with a suspected cable fault, the replacement cable did nothing despite being the updated design so they replaced the whole headset which has been all good. If you're not experiencing any visual issues I would try to source a replacement and use it till it fails assuming it does and just use BT audio.

The joys of buying hardware second hand, I was super fortunate that I had a couple of weeks left of warranty when mine failed!

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

As a potential workaround - go into device manager and disable the HMD's speakers, and use headphones or something else. If it's only the audio disabled, maybe disabling them in device manager and using something else might be enough for the PC, and DCS not to be concerned with the physical disconnection.

In regards to obtaining a new cable, you could try heading to http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=940814-001 and type in 940814-001 for the part number.

Seems as though they will only sell to United States however, so if you're not in the USA you're either SOL, or have to use one of those freight forwarding companies in order to get the cable. Honestly though - at over $140USD for the cable, plus freight, plus forwarding - it's going to end up being a very expensive cable for an older gen headset, so unless you're sold on using their own speakers - I'd try the workaround above. 

I love my G1, but after seeing the issues users had with the G2, and now seeing that they don't offer replacement parts for anyone out of the USA - I'm having second thoughts on whether I want to deal with them when I go to upgrade my headset. 

Please tell us if you're successful in obtaining a replacement cable and how you went about it, or if the disabling speakers in device manager works for you as it could be helpful for others in the future (or even myself if I'm searching the internet for a solution after forgetting about this thread in time to come 😉)

Good luck.

Thx for the help. The link on the HP-site did not help, since the cable mentioned there has 3,6m, which I guess is the cable from the connecter to the PC. I have the problem with the cable coming out of the headset to the connector.

A friend also tried the headset with his PC (also AMD based with with a Nvidia-videocard) and experienced the same problems, so Im pretty sure, its not me or my system but just the cable. Or it also could be a bad connection at the connector, even I have the later added clip

Yes, the headset had the clip holding the two cables (second cable is the audio-cable) in place attached.

For now I try to use the headset as it is with disabled audio, that I will get from bluetooth earbuds. I will try to fix the cable to the headset to releave it from strain, so the cable will not get damaged further. And I will keep looking for a solution. If I find one, Ill post it here.

As expected the seller (private person) right now is unwilling to "settle" the situation; Im not sure, if persuing this legally is worth all the hassle coming with it. After all the Reverb still is usable, maybe even until Valve brings along it new headset, codenamed Deckard.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:14 AM, Wali763 said:

I will try to fix the cable to the headset to releave it from strain, so the cable will not get damaged further. And I will keep looking for a solution. If I find one, Ill post it here.

Can you please also show us how you plan on fixing the cable to relieve the strain? It sounds like this may be an issue with these headsets and I want to look at preventative measures to stopping this from happening with mine in the future.

Hi. There are quite a few photos around where people eg with a cable tie fixed the connector to the halo on the strap. Also then will probably remove the clip since this seems to create a point of high strain to the cable. But right now until I have sorted out my concerns with the seller, Ill leave it in the way I got it.