Binding Settings Keep Changing

Hello all, I am going through a very frustrating game of whack-a-mole with my HOTAS settings in DCS.  I (like you) go through setting up HOTAS bindings for each module and saving them to a .lua file.  The problem is that when I come back to the module later the bindings have changed - some are duplicated across several devices, others have disappeared completely.  Then I go through the process of resetting the binding, saving again, and the same thing happens the next time I run the module.  This is absolutely crazy-making; I spend more time fiddling with the bindings than flying the actual planes and it greatly reduces the fun in the game.  It has been happening since I first started using DCS.  So, has anyone else experienced this and have you solved the problem?  How should I save my programmed bindings?  Should I save each controller column separately? There is a pull-down menu for each USB controller with a "save profile" option. But there is also a general "save profile" button on the top of the list of devices. Should I create a saved profile (.lua file) for each individual controller, and load each one from the pull-down when I load profiles, or use the general button? Will using individual profile loads/saves for each device assign only that device or does each individually saved profile affect all of them?  I can't seem to find a solution to this problem, and I have tried various ideas all without success. Thanks very much for your responses.

Hi.

Can't tell exactly what is going on, but keep in mind that you have to save a profile for each and every periferal you have conected. I have X52 HOTAS,   CombatPedals  and Thrustm MFDs, and I have to save a profile for the X52, another for the Pedals, and two more for the MFDs. So I have a "*X52.diff.lua", *CPeds.diff.lua and *MFD 1 and *MFD 2.diff.lua, also for each module, where "*"is the name of he module saved at "user/saved games etc".

Unless they change the name or the function, lIke recently the F-14 or more time ago the C-101, loading the profile should do the trick, even thoght I recomend deleting the entire profile before loading the saved one.

Saludos.

Saca111

Not sure why your settings disappear.

But, as soon as you click "OK", the settings are saved. No need to save this or that. That is only for "backup" purposes. 

You sure you click "OK"? 

Since this doesn't work like you thought it would. Could it be that you enter control settings, do your changes, then "save as" or whatever, and then click cancel or similar and not "OK"? 

I repeat, only way to save your settings is to click "OK" like any Windows program. But an "Apply" button might have lead to less confusion. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

I use OK every time.  Don't understand it...

I have heard the recommendation to save the profile setting for each peripheral, so I did so.  As I load each, does it affect the other peripheral settings or does each load independently?   

On 1/5/2022 at 6:37 PM, tuffysdad said:

Should I save each controller column separately? There is a pull-down menu for each USB controller with a "save profile" option. But there is also a general "save profile" button on the top of the list of devices. Should I create a saved profile (.lua file) for each individual controller

Yes, this is how they work. I had problems a while back (I'd accidentally deleted everything and had to start from scratch) and figured this out while trying to restore my settings. Specifically, bindings are stored as differences (from the default bindings) PER CONTROLLER PER AIRCRAFT. The "general" save profile button only saves the profile for the highlighted controller.

As a rule, you should always try to save a profile. Clicking OK may store the bindings you've just set, but it doesn't guarantee that they'll stay saved or be recoverable. Another good rule is if you have any controllers connected that you don't use (in general or for a given module), go through each module you own where they're not used, zero them out and save the blank profile.

I have had a this happen to me. I use the clear column say for the Stick then set it up then save it. Then do the same for the Throttle and Peddles. When I go back to them I have cross unit settings for all 3 devices like engine throttle setup on the Stick Throttle and Peddles and hat view settings set the same for all 3. I started doing this. I clear every thing one at a time for each Stick Throttle and Peddles. Till Each is Blank Then Set them Up. It sucks it takes so long to do. I stopped using that clear all in that column. It saves mine and does not add the crap I don't want back in them. I always Figured I am doing it wrong and I just can't get it right so To bad for me. I honestly Do not know if it is my Brand of H.O.T.A.S. unit Being the Problem. I Have a X56 Rhino Stick Throttle and Peddles. What Brand is Yours?

Edited by DishDoggie

These are very enlightening replies and not present in any documentation I have seen.  I use a VKB GNXT stick, WinWing Orion throttle, and VKB T-rudder. 

So, I have now done as you described -- cleared and setup bindings for each device and saved them independently; I now have 3 saved .lua files.  I loaded all three for gameplay, which worked, clicked OK, then I closed and opened DCS where the settings remained.  I think the problem is solved and thanks very much.  

• 3 months later...

@tuffysdad I would be interested to know if your problems with HOTAS bindings have remained solved following your last post.

I have been experiencing binding problems. It seems that DCS applied some sort of default button mapping and overwrote the bindings I had created.

DCS responded to my ticket question by saying that "go to your input folder and delete it, when you start DCS and go to your controls it will  have created fresh profiles ready for personalisation" - this is hardly a good solution for me - I do not intend to spend days re-creating bindings for each aircraft and every time DCS overwrites what I am doing.

If you have found your bindings dont get corrupted any more I would love to know the secret.

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10