Frequent Game Freezes during Active Pause

zippydoda

I am running 2.7.9.18080  on Windows 10, Ryzen 7 3800x, 32 GB ram, RTX 2070 Super. I did not have this issue prior to updating to the new beta a few days ago, but this is happening very consistently now with the new Beta with multiple aircraft and missions.  It happens after I go into Active Pause mode and stay there for a while - like when I'm reading up on what to do next.   The image freezes, although I can pan with my TrackIR.  Controls have no affect, no keyboard commands etc.  When I look at Task Manager I see that it is consuming significant CPU on several of threads, and the GPU is maxed out.  I have to kill it with task manager.  The log file is from one of those sessions where I killed it.  However in looking at a number of these logs there is no consistency in the last few entries so not sure it will be helpful.  I am surprised I have not seen this in the forum - but perhaps it's something unique to my setup.  I have tested the previous version and it does not have the problem. 

I posted this in the A10C II forum first - before I realized it was a general DCS World problem.  Not sure what the protocol is on this, but I hid the previous topic.  I would have deleted it - but don't know how!

dcs.log

Edited by zippydoda

I cannot say for sure what maybe the issue for what your currently experiencing however, I can say this:

Memory management within windows, though has gotten better over the years is not the greatest.  It is not so much a result of window but with coding.

Think of it this way;

When a given program loads, it looks for unused blocks of memory to reside.   Running any addition application, can inadvertantly write over a block or portion of a block, even windows itself can do this.  

When current application in use is brought again to the foreground, the data may have been overwritten and the application crashes.  It does not matter what application/s are currently running . . . this can be the result for many.

Browsers, antivirus, power managers, background print managers or, really anything running in the background in any number of combinations when brought forward can stomp on and over write a memory-block currently in use by other threads.

Try stopping any unnecessary apps and services which are not immediately required and try again.   Many are often misled by the assumption that it is the current running application i.e, DCS that is culprit  I can tell you more often it is not.

No application developer can compensate or second guess bad coding by another developer  nor are they even remote aware of which others might be installed or how nicely they my play together.   Developers cannot test every possible combination of apps or configuration of the user.

I have a dedicated machine which only runs DCS and X-Plane and only applications pertaining to the two. 

I have a main install folder with all the bells and whistles for each app, and a second installation for testing new devices, drivers, modules or mods?

I currently only experience issues from my own mistakes.

Hey thanks for the information and advice.  My system is dedicated to flight sims; all three of them.  But only one running at any particular time of course.  Other services are in service of general windows functions and the flight sims, but of course there's tons of Windows services and bloat that's very difficult to sort out what is necessary and what is fluff.  And although I am fairly tech savvy I'm not to the point where I can really investigate a potential windows memory issue.  I was a coder in my prior life so I understand the concepts - but not capable or motivated to do much other than a system patch, configuration or fix as identified by the Eagle Dynamics community.  Since I have not seen any other posts on this or any other forum regarding this, and you are the only person to respond, the problem is likely unique to my system, or very rare.  I guess it could even be a hardware issue either with a controller or my PC.  I would hope that ED itself would help me out with a debugging scheme like tracing or something - but they have not responded to this thread.  I don't see another avenue to report an issue directly to their tech support staff, but if you know of one please let me know.  Meanwhile this is happening so frequently that it's unusable - so off to other endeavors.  Thanks for your ideas!