Randomly losing tail rotor control all of a sudden

85th_Maverick

Hi,

Although I may not be up to date with all the changes that are done to aircraft here and there (the more aircraft, the more total changes), but I lately wanted to start flying the MI-8 as I love it and what I now find (never happened before no matter how badly I was torturing the helo in the air) that after a random amount of time while flying, the helo suddenly snap yaws me to the left and remains at a constant beta (sideslip) angle depending on main rotor disc blades pitch and IAS. The pedals have no more effect. It's as if the connections between the pedals and the tail rotor pitch control has failed somewhere in the system. I've provided both a Tacview and track regarding what happens.

This is the Tacview file and you can see that at 6:40:25 the helo violently and uncommanded yaws left and remains settled at some beta angle until the end of the flight when I try and manage to land it somewhere in the field. The yaw control was completely gone although the pedals inputs work as usual.

MI-8 random yaw control loss.acmi

The following is the track file. Just accelerate the time until some 620 seconds have passed in the recording since start and you'll see how the helo jumps in left yaw after it was flying nicely trimmed in yaw for a good amount of time.

MI-8 random yaw control loss.trk

No warning lights of whatsoever appeared such as gearboxes failure or something, just this behavior that happens every now and then.

Let me know if I may put too much strain into something due to airspeed or stuff, cause the controls were actually constant all the time before and after losing the tail control.

Regards!

• Like 1

Good knowledge and common sense make the absurd run for defense.

Flying has always been a great interest for mankind, yet learning everything about it brought the greatest challenge!

I can reproduce your issue. It clearly is a "proper" tail rotor control failure:

image.png

After passively replaying the track, I took control over the track seconds a few seconds before the faiure, and it happened again. This looks like a scripted failure. I cannot find it when looking at the mission in the mission editor, but I see it in the file:

["CTRL_TAIL_ROTOR_CONTROL_FAILURE"] = 
        {
            ["hh"] = 0,
            ["prob"] = 95,
            ["enable"] = true,
            ["mmint"] = 13,
            ["id"] = "CTRL_TAIL_ROTOR_CONTROL_FAILURE",
            ["mm"] = 10,
        }, -- end of ["CTRL_TAIL_ROTOR_CONTROL_FAILURE"]

(enable = true with a probability of 95%)

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I think I fixed it:

1. Edit the mission in the mission editor

2. Select each Mi-8 unit:

• Go to the "Failures" panel (the icon looks like a forbidden sign).
  • Click "Clear".

3. Save the mission and try it out.

The bug doesn't seem to be the failure (failures actually, there are several of them), but the fact the mission editor cannot read the failures defined in the .miz file.

Where does this mission come from?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2022 at 1:38 AM, Flappie said:

I think I fixed it:

1. Edit the mission in the mission editor

2. Select each Mi-8 unit:

• Go to the "Failures" panel (the icon looks like a forbidden sign).
  • Click "Clear".

3. Save the mission and try it out.

The bug doesn't seem to be the failure (failures actually, there are several of them), but the fact the mission editor cannot read the failures defined in the .miz file.

Where does this mission come from?

From me!=) I built it as a reminder of the 1987 Afghanistan war using the Persian Gulf map, because we still lack the Afghanistan map. So, it is actually a bug due to the mission editor, and not because of a correctly simulated failure after all. Thx!

Edited by 85th_Maverick

Good knowledge and common sense make the absurd run for defense.

Flying has always been a great interest for mankind, yet learning everything about it brought the greatest challenge!