Wingman Using Rockets and Not Mavericks

GAJ52

I have been trying a couple of the Instant Action missions for training using the A-10Cii. I have noticed when I ask my wingman to attack tanks with Missiles he normally uses the APKWS M151L rocket and not the Maverick (he has 4 loaded).

How can I force my wingman to use Mavericks against tanks

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

I think that's an AI limitation. It seems internally, APKWS is marked as being a missile, which is technically the proper designation (missile = guided, rocket = unguided). Naturally, the AI uses missiles against MBTs. They simply don't know that these missiles are not strong enough and weren't designed against this type of target.

For the time being, I think there's not much you could do, short of waiting for the AI to expand all APKWS and then follow up with Mavericks.

If you do find a way though, please let us know!

Many thanks what you say makes sense.

I hope ED looks at this and finds a way to prevent Ai using APKWS rockets on targets its not designed for i.e. Tanks or amend the radio command somehow.

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

When controlling the AI through scripting or waypoint settings it is possible to make them use a specific kind of missile. The problem is the wingman comms menu that won’t go into which specific kind of missile you want your wingman to use.

I put some effort into making a custom menu for controlling AI aircraft in a mission I made and made it possible to select which specific unit within a group to engage with which specific weapon. It makes for some great simultaneous attacks with the ai.

Edited by EasyEB

On 1/6/2022 at 9:09 AM, Yurgon said:

I think that's an AI limitation. It seems internally, APKWS is marked as being a missile, which is technically the proper designation (missile = guided, rocket = unguided).

Coincidentally, this is also why air defense will engage APKWS, but not unguided M151 rockets (or bombs, for that matter).