Oculus Quest 2 - 120Hz refresh rate. Useful ?

NeuRO

It's great for games that are optimised for it, like Beat Saber, but good luck using it for DCS 😆

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I used to do 120Hz, max resolution set in Q2 device, with my RTX3080, and turn PD=1.0.

It's workable... but you will never get 120 fps... but I wasn't shooting for 120Hz, I was only hoping for 120 / 2 = 60Hz (notice there is no 60Hz option; so this is my way of doing 60Hz).

The trouble with using the default 72Hz is that you often get locked down to 36Hz, with plenty of GPU cycles available. With 90Hz... you get trimmed down to 45Hz, most of the time. With 120Hz, I was able to get beyond 45Hz... a lot of times at 50+ but never beyond 60Hz. However, I question the utility of fluctuating 50+Hz against stable 45Hz. Seriously, I can't tell the difference, particularly with ASW set to auto. So, for now, I am doing 90Hz, with device resolution bumped up to about 1.2X, and DCS PD=1 with MSAA 4x. I get quite stable 45Hz (except when there are a lot of explosions etc. like from GBU-105), and my GPU utilization is somewhere north of 75%.

• Like 1

It does nothing other than keeping you warn as the headset get heated up rather quickly, and no, you do not gain 120 fps in this setting. You still get 90 fps max.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

the only time its worth higher than 72hz is if you can say hit over 40FPS consistently and you want a higher sitting ASW. Then run 80hz. Equally, if you want 30hz under ASW on the nose then run 90hz (as a multiple) If you can hit 36hz consistently then run 72hz and not only save on heat but also battery drain. At 120hz you will nail the battery fast even over link cable, unless youre running a high power output via a USB-C PCIe with sata power etc..

GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700@4.4Ghz, 16Gb DDR4.

Also with VR I find it necessary to keep some headroom open andso even though I could push 80 or 90 Hz I keep it at 72 with auto res.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

On 1/8/2022 at 5:10 PM, Steel Jaw said:

Also with VR I find it necessary to keep some headroom open andso even though I could push 80 or 90 Hz I keep it at 72 with auto res.

well that doesnt totally make sense 🙂 to be clear, in order of GPU required low to high...

@90hz  for ASW 30FPS maintainable target OR @120hz for 30FPS maintainable target (for which 90hz saves on battery and heat so 120hz is pointless) Also need OTT to force this.

@72hz  for ASW 36FPS maintainable target (where my rig sits and maintains comfortably)

@80hz  for ASW 40FPS maintainable target

@90hz  for ASW 45FPS maintainable target

@120hz for 60FPS maintainable target

If your machine can hit anything above 72FPS then on quest, you no longer need ASW for a smooth experience, and likely your rig is a good RTX setup! If you haven't noticed, the ASW figure is directly divisible. And this is really only based on what FPS your machine can consistently hit! if you can only reach just over 30fps, then use 90hz. If you hit 36FPS no problem (like me) but not make 40FPS consistently enough, stick with 72hz (ASW will be forced to 36FPS). Hope that makes sense.. If you ever want to confirm what youre hitting then in game right cntrl + Pause will show you where you are locked under ASW as you wont exceed that figure.

10 minutes ago, cloudkake said:

@72hz  for ASW 36FPS maintainable target (where my rig sits and maintains comfortably)

How are you setting ASW to divide by 2 when at 72Hz?  In OTT or the debug?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

You don't set it, that's what the ASW does based on your chosen headset refresh rate. How well and smooth it works is dependant on your machine maintaining the target ASW figure. In short, can only hit just over 36fps nearly all the time? If so set 72hz and you're done. Don't need to use debug or ott. If you can only make 30fps, then use ott to force 30hz and you'll have to run 90hz as the nearest divisible the headset offers. Now it can get more complicated than this.. 

For instance, if you set 72hz and use ott forced 30hz then the ASW will auto divide it down to lock no higher than 24FPS.. guess what that figure is X3? See how it works? However the lower you go the worse the ghosting/shimmering is so you balance the compromise with graphics settings and supersampling to find the best experience. 

It's a lot of messing about, welcome to VR! But use right cntrl pause trick to view you're in game FPS and as you change settings on the fly you will see for yourself where ASW is holding, or failing to hold because your current settings can't hold it.

• Like 1