Update posted

Chewmann

The Intrepid carrier is looking good!  Along with that Corsair.

I believe it should say "Short Hull Construction", not "Short Haul"...in the description.  But being "Short Hull" just means (primarily) it has a bow that supports only one 'quad' 40mm mount, with the slightly longer flight deck that over hangs that mount and restricts its upward arc of fire.  The hull length in the water was the same for all Essex-class carriers.  They said it has 17 40mm guns...by the pictures, that means 17 'quad' 40mm mounts.  That adds up to sixty-eight 40mm barrels!  I believe that is correct for the time period they are modeling.  And despite that, it was still hit by a Kamikaze aircraft in 1945.  The Intrepid was originally fitted in 1943 with far fewer 40mm mounts.  But like they said, they are modeling her as she was after a refit in 1944, I think.  And so it also has two H 4B hydraulic catapults.  I think it originally only had one flight deck catapult.  These are hydraulic catapults, so you won't be seeing steam from them.  Modeling ships from WWII is difficult because they kept making changes to their gun armaments and radar antennas, and sometimes a good portion of the superstructure.

It does appear that the 20mm gun mounts along the edges of the flight deck are all sitting up too high.  Like maybe 3-5 feet too high!  The gun shields are too tall, too.  Judging by actual photos of Intrepid from '43-'44.  I don't think they could swing the 20mm guns around to fire across the flight deck.  I can imagine they wouldn't want an excited 20mm gunner swinging the barrel around in the heat of battle and mowing down the bridge crew and 40mm gun-mount crews up there!  And I suppose mounting them down low kept them from interfering with aircraft operations.  I see railings around the flight deck, too.  I don't think they had those, at least not during flight operations.  I've looked at a 1944 photo of Intrepid and there were railings around the gun platforms...or I think that's called the 'gallery deck', but not the flight deck...not that I can see.

This carrier would be a fine home for Hellcats, Dauntlesses, Avengers and Helldivers, too...if they ever get modeled in DCS.

In the early 1950's intrepid was fitted with a long bow, and so was identical to the 'Long Hull' ships in that regard, at that point.  It was also fitted with C-11 steam catapults and a new island superstructure that took away the 5-inch gun turrets, and the aft elevator was moved to the starboard edge around that time.  In the mid '50s it received an angled flight deck, reenforced for jet aircraft, an enclosed 'hurricane bow' and heavier arresting gear for jets (minus pretty much all the guns).  I'm hoping in this form it will be modeled, as well, for the F-8J Crusader.  It could probably then be numbered with a '14' or a '19' too, as the Ticonderoga and Hancock, which were very similarly modified.  Move the starboard elevator forward a bit, with a little deck-edge and hangar deck re-trimming, and you'd have '16' Lexington, '31' Bon Homme Richard, '34' Oriskany and '38' Shangri-La, as well. 

Then take that and change the catapults to hydraulic H-8's and reduce the size of the forward elevator a bit and you'd have '9' Essex, '10' Yorktown, '12' Hornet, '15' Randolph, '18' Wasp, '20' Bennington, and '33' Kearsarge.  Take the WWII Intrepid and remove most of the guns, but not the dual-5-inch turrets and replace the tripod mast with a mast from one of those of the modernized ships and add the "long bow", and you'd pretty much have '21' Boxer, '32' Leyte, '37' Princeton, '40' Tarawa, '45' Valley Forge, and '47' Philippine Sea...although, they might be best in their late-WWII fit as Korean War-era carriers, with possibly the 20mm guns removed.

Edited by Andrew8604
add more
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 9:18 AM, nick10 said:

any hint of an ai zero to shoot down?

None that I could find. I've seen various commenters say that Magnitude is working on an AI Zero to go with the Corsair, but I've been unable to find anything from Magnitude themselves confirming that.

And that strikes me as a weird omission. Whether they're doing a Zero or not, either way I'd expect them to mention that they're doing it or not doing it. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but between the odd radio silence and that interview with BigNewy back in October (@33:49) where he said, "We're gonna go east, we're gonna go Japan" for the next warbird after the Mossie--all of a sudden I wonder if ED is doing a Zero, and that's why Magnitude is not even mentioning an AI, because of an NDA or something.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KWard said:

None that I could find. I've seen various commenters say that Magnitude is working on an AI Zero to go with the Corsair, but I've been unable to find anything from Magnitude themselves confirming that.

And that strikes me as a weird omission. Whether they're doing a Zero or not, either way I'd expect them to mention that they're doing it or not doing it. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but between the odd radio silence and that interview with BigNewy back in October (@33:49) where he said, "We're gonna go east, we're gonna go Japan" for the next warbird after the Mossie--all of a sudden I wonder if ED is doing a Zero, and that's why Magnitude is not even mentioning an AI, because of an NDA or something.

I like this theory. I don’t necessarily believe it but I choose to believe. 😀

• Like 3