[Reported] "Hyper-Roll" flight model issue observed

Xpendable

Witnessed something really weird this morning with the Harrier.

Jet #1

I was able to get the Harrier to roll at "hyper speeds" like it was an A4 Skyhawk.  I was flying a clean jet on the Caucuses map, low-level (100-1000 feet AGL near Kobuleti) with about 6.6 fuel state.  Initial configuration was full fuel, no stores.  Performed a STO takeoff and flew around low-level pullling no more than 4.5 G's.  Did a low pass over Kobuleti runway, and pulled up 5 degrees and started rolling.  Noticed that while holding a sustained left or right roll at level attitude or near level attitude, I was able to achieve something like 3-4 full 360 rotations per second continuously without blacking out or redding out.   Eventually I held the roll in continuously for more than 30 seconds (I am not sure how long) and the engine quit.  Also note that no pitch adjustment was needed to enter or sustain  the roll.  I may have had AFC on.  I thought to myself... this is odd.  The Harrier shouldn't be able to roll this fast.  I mean this is crazy fast.  Something is wrong here.  When my plane flamed out and crashed, I tried to recreate it and couldn't get it happen exactly the same way, but could still enter the hyper roll but in a different way that causes you to blackout.  Note that I wasn't blacking out at all with Jet #1.

Jet #2-5

So I tried recreating the hyper roll from jet #1 and can't get the exact same conditions that allows me to hyper roll without blacking out.  I can get it into a hyper roll, but the pilot blacks out after a few seconds.  The roll stops when the pilot blacks out.  Also, I now have to put in some nose down pitch for the roll - it will not stay level unless I do this (and will crash into terrain if I don't).  The only way I can enter the hyper roll is with AFC on and holding slight pitch down on the stick.  With AFC off, the hyper roll will NOT ever occur, and if I don't apply a slight pitch down on the stick, no hyper roll will occur.  If hyper roll does occur (with AFC on and slight pitch down being held), pilot blacks out after a few rotations. 

Remember that with Jet #1, no pitch adjustment was needed for the roll, and I think AFC may have been on but I am not sure.  I have not since been able to recreate the hyper roll without blackout.  Would love for others to try it out.  I'll try some more later today and see if I can get a video of it happening.

After some more testing, I estimate the "hyper roll" to be more like 1.5 revolutions per second, not 3 to 4 per second.  I calculated this by taking the video into a video editor and counting the revolutions over 1 second worth of video.  I can't achieve that roll rate without AFC on.  The other thing that I have observed is that only my first plane / spawn after loading the mission is able to achieve unlimited sustain roll without blacking out.  After I purposely crash the plane and use subsequent planes, I'm unable to achieve sustain rolls without blacking out.  If I exit the mission and restart, my first plane will again be exempt from blacking out.  Subsequent spawns will black out.  So... that could be an ED bug maybe?  Will be interesting if someone could try other planes and see if they get that same result.  I recorded a video, will post a link to it when it's uploaded to YouTube.

First hyper-roll at 2:42

After second spawn, you can see blackout occurs at 10:45

Edited by Xpendable
Added link to video

• AlphaJuliet changed the title to [Investigating] "Hyper-Roll" flight model issue observed
  • AlphaJuliet changed the title to [Reported] "Hyper-Roll" flight model issue observed