Virpil Controls Rotor TCS Plus Base setup with "working" IDLE stop.

Go to solution Solved by shagrat,

For everyone who wants to use the throttle axis and idle stop. This was the closest I could get it to work as intended.

1. Check the Y-Axis is not invertes in the VPC Config it shouid match the rotation direction in DCS without having to invert the axis in DCS.
If you need to invert it in DCS to match, you need to adjust this n the VPC Configuration, not DCS !

To get to that setting DOUBLE CLICK the axis (See second picture where to adjust).

2. Define 2 different "Axis to button setups to create 2 additional "Buttons".  (Ignore the 3rd I created, this is not necessary for this setup)

1st for Axis 2 from  91% to 99% and a free physical button number (depends on your twist grip). This will create a button press when the throttle is just moved a little bit counter-clockwise and will be our "Decrease Throttle" button later in  DCS.

2nd for Axis 2 from 60% to 62% and the next free physical button number. This will create a button press just before the physical idle stop and will be our "Increase Throttle" in DCS to push the throttle from shut-off into idle position, when e twist the twist grip through the idle stop detent.

You may need to adjust these values to your physical axis, in general they should be close enough.

VPC_config_Axis.jpgVPC_config_Axis_2.jpg

3. Next we need to assign the "new physical buttons" to a logical button press! To do so open the buttons menu.

Ensure the buttons show as axis to button in the black field below the button list.

Select 2 free Logical Button and assign the new buttons to them as a "Normal" button press.

Also make sure you have the IDLE STOP button assigned. By default it should be button 1, unless you configured it different. The logical button number does not really matter, but you need a logical button assigned.

That' the setup in the VPC Configurator. 

AND DON't FORGET TO SAVE THE SETTINGS TO THE DEVICE. MAKE SURE YOU CONFIGURE THE ROTOR TCS PLUS !  

VPC_config_Buttons.jpg

You may check the buttons in the VPC Joy Tester, now. Do NOT check with the overview of the physical setup on button page. Always check with the VPC Joy Tester to see the Logical button output.
If everything is working as expected (Buttons from the twist grip axis turn ON and OFF when twisting through the axis positions, switch to DCS.

4. Setup the throttle axis in DCS.
Open the Axis Controls in the DCS Control Setup Menu, select Throttle (in the Pic it's "Schubhebel" as its in german), go to the "VPC Rotor TCS Plus column and assign the JOY_Y axis (Grip-Axis). Now right click the JOY_Y field and select the axis tuning menu.

Make sure to check the "Slider" option and do NOT check the "Invert" option. If the twist grip axis in DCS does turn in the wrong direction, go back to the VPC Config and adjust it there.

Tune the "Saturation X" to 58/59 so that the flat part on the top ends where the red DOT is, if the twist grip is in the idle position. That is when you twist beyond the idle stop, to full and back against the idle stop.
This enables us to use the full throttle axis in DCS with just the part of the physical axis that goes from idle stop to full open !   

VPC_DCS_Axis.jpg

5. Set the key bindings for the Increase and decrease throttle buttons.

We need to assign the "IDLE STOP" to the idle stop on the collective (default JOY_1) and now the button at the nearly full clockwise (closed) position to "DECREASE Throttle" and the button from the close to idle stop position to "INCREASE throttle".

Save the setup with "OK"  VPC_DCS_Buttons.jpg

In DCS you should now be able to twist the throttle through idle stop and the throttle should snap to idle, due to the short "INCREASE" button press. When you twist back and press IDLE STOP the idle stop in game should be depressed and you can twist to the shutoff position until the "DECREASE" button is "pressed" and shuts down the engine.

The only drawback I could find is, that during startup you will need to have the throttle in idle and not "just below the idle stop", but that works without problems, it seems. 

• Thanks 3

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Solution
Am 8.1.2022 um 13:44 schrieb Tanuki44:

👏 Bravo 👏

It works great, I just adjusted the values to my material, even when turning the handle quickly.

It remains to put a mark on the handle for the Idle Stop 😉

Yeah, you may need to adjust the ranges a bit. After a getting used to it, I twist the throttle more quickly and needed to adjust the Increase Throttle zone a bit. 59-63%... just try until it moves the twist-grip in-game out of cut-off to idle stop.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

With my equipment, I can't rotate the handle in one turn of the wrist, I use the value at this pause ~45% to increment the throttle in the range of 46 to 60%.

46% avoids axis shaking compared to the 45% position

It works great 👍

Edited by Tanuki44

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I just set this up again after moving to a new computer with my rig.  I had to change the values as I reversed the throttle axis in the Virpil software, but it's working fine.

Virpil Throttle Setup 1.png

Virpil Throttle Setup 2.png

• Thanks 1

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

• 2 weeks later...

The throttle collective has stopped working in the Helicopter, it works in the UI control panel, the inputs show its working.

But when in the helicopter the throttle will not animation of it moving, I have to use my mouse wheel.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 2 weeks later...

ok got it working it was a firmware update I didn't know about for 4/2024

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Am 7.4.2023 um 20:35 schrieb Bell Driver:

Any updates to this tutorial as the Virpil Configuration Tool layout has changed. My Axis to Button menu is different and they added a virtual detent section. See picture...

Thanks!

20230407_143300.jpg

Basically the same procedure:

Axis to Button > Axis: 2 Type: Logic% Range from: 59 Range to: 63

This will now automatically give you new "physical buttons" in the black text box on the Button Dialogue. 

Look for something like: [50] Axis to Button (Y range 59-63 logic%), where [50] is the new "physical button" number. This can be mapped above to any "logical button" as usual.

Remember to check the axis isn't inverted! Mine was by default, when I created the new profile with the Apache grip.

Shagrat