Moving controller and bindings from one pc to another

I read somewhere that windows assigns a unique device ID to each controller plugged in. So a controller on one pc may have a different I’d when moved to a different pc making all the key bindings from the old pc non transferable. Are DCS profiles transferable?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2022 at 6:09 AM, zmz125000 said:

Just rename them with the new guid. They're transferable.

I'm going through the same process - where will I find the controller GUID please?

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

I have copied these files from from "Open Beta" to "Stable" and there was no need to rename the "....diff.lua" files.
I'm fairly sure you can just copy the files over to your new computer.

These files are under "C:\Users\YOURNAME\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\AIRCRAFTNAME"

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, LeCuvier said:

I have copied these files from from "Open Beta" to "Stable" and there was no need to rename the "....diff.lua" files.

that’s because you are copying within the same PC … it’s not the same when copying onto another pc

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 years later...

Same problem here and with Windows 11. I'm quite new to PCs, being primarily a mac user, so what are GUIDs, where are they, and how would I export them and to where? I spent a long time binding joystick buttons and I'd hate to have to configure them all again.

Simple steps please as I'm getting old as well!

On 4/15/2024 at 6:41 PM, baldeagle611 said:

Same problem here and with Windows 11. I'm quite new to PCs, being primarily a mac user, so what are GUIDs, where are they, and how would I export them and to where? I spent a long time binding joystick buttons and I'd hate to have to configure them all again.

Simple steps please as I'm getting old as well!

You've probably already figured by now where your own controller settings are stored - in individual files and folders according to path explained by LeCuvier three posts above. Note - it's one separate diff.lua file per each device per each aircraft.

If you don't feel comfortable with fiddling with file renaming and stuff, I'd recommend using in-game profile save & load interface to import your old settings to new computer. Fire up DCS, go to controls options, you will notice in upper right corner "Load profile" button. The rest is simple:

a) Choose your aircraft;

b) Highlight device column by left clicking it (for example - joystick);

c) Click aforementioned "Load profile" button;

d) In subsequent menu navigate to your old .diff.lua file for highlighted device (joystick in this case), click OK to load it;

e) Done - your old joystick settings stored in diff.lua file of said aircraft have been imported to your new DCS install on new computer. 

f) Repeat these steps for throttle, keyboard, pedals, tracking device etc. 

g) Choose next aircraft and repeat again.

Will take a few minutes, but certainly less than re-binding the whole shebang from scratch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It’s an easy fix. Just find your new device IDs by pressing a controller button for each one in the menu to assign a command. That will generate the lua. Then just copy and paste those file names containing the ID onto your old device .lua files. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

17 hours ago, Art-J said:

You've probably already figured by now where your own controller settings are stored - in individual files and folders according to path explained by LeCuvier three posts above. Note - it's one separate diff.lua file per each device per each aircraft.

If you don't feel comfortable with fiddling with file renaming and stuff, I'd recommend using in-game profile save & load interface to import your old settings to new computer. Fire up DCS, go to controls options, you will notice in upper right corner "Load profile" button. The rest is simple:

a) Choose your aircraft;

b) Highlight device column by left clicking it (for example - joystick);

c) Click aforementioned "Load profile" button;

d) In subsequent menu navigate to your old .diff.lua file for highlighted device (joystick in this case), click OK to load it;

e) Done - your old joystick settings stored in diff.lua file of said aircraft have been imported to your new DCS install on new computer. 

f) Repeat these steps for throttle, keyboard, pedals, tracking device etc. 

g) Choose next aircraft and repeat again.

Will take a few minutes, but certainly less than re-binding the whole shebang from scratch.

I just upgraded PCs.  I was anxious about losing all my bindings... However, it was strangely easy to get it all to work - - the advice and steps above are exactly what I did.  

• Like 2