F/A-18C Idle Detent: where to start?

I just modified my TWCS throttle with the linear bearings, new slider, and magnetic detents for afterburner, and am wondering if I should also add idle detents, to stop me from shutting down the engines inadvertently? If so, at what % of total throw should I place them? I will fine tune with the in game curves. 

Thanks in advance

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

You can't go past idle with the axis. The 0% of the axis corresponds to the lowest the throttle can go (flight idle is higher than ground idle). You can only go past Idle to Off if you assign a key bind for it.

• Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

19 minutes ago, Harker said:

You can't go past idle with the axis. The 0% of the axis corresponds to the lowest the throttle can go (flight idle is higher than ground idle). You can only go past Idle to Off if you assign a key bind for it.

It's been a while since I've flown the Hornet, but I could swear it was possible to go all the way to zero with the throttle, but you're telling me you can't? How is flight idle set Vs ground idle?

So you're saying there is no need for an idle detent? Thanks.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

It's been a while since I've flown the Hornet, but I could swear it was possible to go all the way to zero with the throttle, but you're telling me you can't? How is flight idle set Vs ground idle?

So you're saying there is no need for an idle detent? Thanks.
Yes, you can't accidentally turn off your engines by the axis alone. Also in the real jet, you need to lift the finger lifts.

For flight idle and ground idle: in the real aircraft, you can't move the throttle all the way back with weight off wheels, in order to maintain a minimum power setting - there's an additional physical detent with WoffW. With weight on wheels, you can move it further back. In DCS, this is simulated, you can see the in-game throttle move further back on the ground, but of course it doesn't affect your physical throttle. Instead, the axis is active from 0-100 on the ground and from 5-100 (or something like that) in the air.

That's also why you shouldn't land with your real throttle all the way back, because DCS will not update the in-game throttle without input once you land, so you'll be rolling down the runway with ~67% RPM instead of 65%. So either touch down first and then go to zero or, if you are already all the way back, bring the throttle forward and back quickly.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

51 minutes ago, WOPR said:

This is the best tool for setting up your throttle curve with a detent.  Just follow the directions.  You won't regret it.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315617/?sphrase_id=10089453

Thank you, sir.