Reverb G2 getting connected via USB C issues

Ebphoto

So I have a MSI GS76 with 4K video with no Display port, only a USB C that is ‘connected’ to the graphics card. Works well with my Oculas Quest2 headset but I find that headset heavy & uncomfortable! When I try to connect to the Reverb G2 headset with a Cable Works Display port to USB C adaptor, I get video in the right eye but Black & white vertical squiggly lines in the left eye! HP has sent a new cable in the hopes it would help but it doesn’t & I get the same problem. When I try a different adapter I get a connection error 4. I have another adapter that’s been recommended on YouTube coming later in the week. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas as to what’s causing it? I’ve downloaded the latest drivers etc. I’m running Windows 10 64 bit, 64G memory & a RTX3080 graphics card. I know the port works because it works with the Quest2 link just fine I just find the Quest 2 uncomfortable & heavy plus it’s not as clear or the sweet spots smaller. It’s probably a setting or maybe this adapter is bad I don’t know. The adapter is supposed to be 8K & 4K resolution compatible. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Also I know the G2 works because I’ve used it on a different laptop that’s not as good & it works. Thanks…

Have you tried it connected to a regular USB 3.1 Gen 2 (3.2) with the included USB C to USB adapter?

Cheers

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

3 hours ago, Ebphoto said:

So I have a MSI GS76 with 4K video with no Display port, only a USB C that is ‘connected’ to the graphics card. Works well with my Oculas Quest2 headset but I find that headset heavy & uncomfortable! When I try to connect to the Reverb G2 headset with a Cable Works Display port to USB C adaptor, I get video in the right eye but Black & white vertical squiggly lines in the left eye! HP has sent a new cable in the hopes it would help but it doesn’t & I get the same problem. When I try a different adapter I get a connection error 4. I have another adapter that’s been recommended on YouTube coming later in the week. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas as to what’s causing it? I’ve downloaded the latest drivers etc. I’m running Windows 10 64 bit, 64G memory & a RTX3080 graphics card. I know the port works because it works with the Quest2 link just fine I just find the Quest 2 uncomfortable & heavy plus it’s not as clear or the sweet spots smaller. It’s probably a setting or maybe this adapter is bad I don’t know. The adapter is supposed to be 8K & 4K resolution compatible. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Also I know the G2 works because I’ve used it on a different laptop that’s not as good & it works. Thanks…

I used Cable Matter's USB-C to displayport adapter with my 2080ti and Reverb G2 without issues. I've also plugged it into my Surface Pro 8 and it worked OK (albeit with poor performance due to the integrated graphics).

Just to be sure, you are plugging it into usb-c port closest to the FRONT of your laptop correct? It seems that one is marked as DP.

Thanks you for answering. I’ve since tried a new adapter with the same results. I get good video in the right eye & black & white vertical squiggly lines in the left. I’ve tried plugging the USB C into a regular USB port with the adapter that came with the G2 same results. So I tried the adapter on my other laptop. It has a RTX 3080 as well but with 8G instead of the 16G in the MSI. The Gigabyte laptop has a mini display port so I know it works. Instead of plugging it into the display port I used the adapter & plugged it into a USB C port & the G2 worked flawlessly. So that just means the MSI laptop won’t work or something is wrong with it. I will try contacting MSI and see if they have a fix. I’ve never used their customer support so I’m hoping it’s an easy thing to do! Frustrating to say the least but I’m glad the adapters seem to work well. I’ve also thought of buying a desktop tower & going that route. My problem is I hv metal rods & screws in my spine & also a stimulator implant to help with pain, so I have to fly DCS laying down on my bed since I cannot sit for very long comfortably. It really sucks but I thought maybe if I put a desktop unit close I can run the cables to the bed & see how it work. I’ve been using Track IR for a long time & it works great. I made the mistake of trying out VR & was pleasantly surprised with the results & now it’s hard to go back to Track IR! It’s just so cool feeling like your actually in the cockpit vs 2D. Anyway thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it! If anyone thinks of anything else please let me know & I’ll try it out. I do think it’s the MSI laptop & hopefully MSI will have a fix!

I dropped adapters. Have the display port and USB-C connected. For the laptop it was a DisplayPort to USB-C and USB-C to USB 3.1. It took a while to get the thing to work on both. On desktop, AMD, I had to get the v2 cable. That sorted the connection error out after some cursing and generally bad behavior from my part.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m not getting a connection error. I’m only getting good video in my right eye, the left is black & white vertical lines. It’s really strange. I haven’t tried the display port to usb-c to another adapter to USB-c to reg USB. Not sure if that would even work but I’ll try it out. I think it’s a problem with the laptop, not sure. I’ve tried just about everything I can think of. I’ve uninstalled the drivers etc & reinstalled & get the exact same problem. If it didn’t work on my other laptop I’d say it was the adapters but it does work & no problems on the Gigabyte laptop. I’m only having this issue on the MSI GS-76 laptop. It seems to run DCS a little better. The Gygabyte laptop seems to be working a little harder to allow the VR. It does get a little hot! I have a fan underneath to help push airflow & the internal fans are at full speed. I’ll probably byte the bullet & purchase a desktop machine that will have a display port & hopefully a RTX-3090. Not sure yet if I want to spend the money just to run DCS. Crazy what we do for fun huh?

2 hours ago, Ebphoto said:

Yeah I’m not getting a connection error. I’m only getting good video in my right eye, the left is black & white vertical lines. It’s really strange. I haven’t tried the display port to usb-c to another adapter to USB-c to reg USB. Not sure if that would even work but I’ll try it out. I think it’s a problem with the laptop, not sure. I’ve tried just about everything I can think of. I’ve uninstalled the drivers etc & reinstalled & get the exact same problem. If it didn’t work on my other laptop I’d say it was the adapters but it does work & no problems on the Gigabyte laptop. I’m only having this issue on the MSI GS-76 laptop. It seems to run DCS a little better. The Gygabyte laptop seems to be working a little harder to allow the VR. It does get a little hot! I have a fan underneath to help push airflow & the internal fans are at full speed. I’ll probably byte the bullet & purchase a desktop machine that will have a display port & hopefully a RTX-3090. Not sure yet if I want to spend the money just to run DCS. Crazy what we do for fun huh?

Hi Ebphoto

I can fully relate to the frustration. I had an MSI laptop, well still do have an MSI GS66 Stealth with a 2070ti GPU and an i7 10875H 2.3GHz CPU. 1.2TB HDD I think. I increased RAM to 32GB, but that really did not do anything with connections. Those were solved earlier. Huge problems with introducing the Reverb G2. It was not the laptop at all, partially yes, but mostly G2 issues in connecting with the laptop.

First and foremost. There was an issue with the headset itself. Warranty got me a new one. Then the issue was the 8k requirement for adapters. I had a 4k DisplayPort to USB-C. Did not work properly. You might want to check that you have compatible adapters.

This works

Amazon.com: USB C Female to USB Male Adapter(2 Pack),Yootech Aluminum Double-Sided USB 3.1 Gen 5Gbps Built-in IC USB A to Type C Connector,Compatible with iPhone 13/13 Mini/13 Pro/13 Pro Max/12/11,Type-C Earphone : Electronics

and so does this,

Amazon.com: Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort Adapter (USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter, USB C to DP Adapter) Supporting 8K 60Hz Black - Thunderbolt 4 / USB4 / Thunderbolt 3 Compatible with MacBook Pro, Dell XPS : Electronics

C506168B-2BDC-4E07-8BFE-5963E8559C75.jpeg

0D4AB498-9A6D-453C-9963-6020A803D7B6.jpeg

Edited by Baltic Pirate
  • Like 1

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback! I’ve been running it on the Gigabyte laptop and it’s working pretty well. I’ll look into the adapters! I did try the adapters I have on the Gigabyte laptop and they all worked with the G2 no problem! So that makes me think it’s the MSI laptop. Hey just curious, do you think it’s okay to run VR on these laptops? They do heat up a lot! I’m just concerned that it might make them burn out over time. I do have a good laptop fan going underneath & the internal fans are blowing like crazy! I’m just concerned it might be too much even though they say VR ready, Thoughts?

thanks again! I’ll look into the adapters. Oh btw what laptop are you using now?

2 hours ago, Ebphoto said:

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback! I’ve been running it on the Gigabyte laptop and it’s working pretty well. I’ll look into the adapters! I did try the adapters I have on the Gigabyte laptop and they all worked with the G2 no problem! So that makes me think it’s the MSI laptop. Hey just curious, do you think it’s okay to run VR on these laptops? They do heat up a lot! I’m just concerned that it might make them burn out over time. I do have a good laptop fan going underneath & the internal fans are blowing like crazy! I’m just concerned it might be too much even though they say VR ready, Thoughts?

thanks again! I’ll look into the adapters. Oh btw what laptop are you using now?

Oh they heat up. You need to be sure you have adequate cooling. No dust and all components should be tip top, pastes and all. 

If in doubt about how good your fan is, recommend something like  KLIM Wind Laptop Cooling Pad to give additional cooling. I have something like that. Dropped GPU and CPU temps by about 6-9c. Lucky me. I can open window to get -17c air into the room. I’ve got a plan to add an extra duct from the incoming air duct to below where my hot kit is located, but let’s c. Opening the window drops temps immediately by a good 15c. 

i don’t think seeing 85-90c is unusual on a GPU running a long session with DCS on a laptop, but with cooling it went don’t to high 70’s.

i do keep a close eye on the temps when I’m flying the laptop with VR. I don’t think it’s doing any good for the laptop in the long run to be up to sauna temperatures, but there it is 

20 hours ago, Baltic Pirate said:

Oh they heat up. You need to be sure you have adequate cooling. No dust and all components should be tip top, pastes and all. 

If in doubt about how good your fan is, recommend something like  KLIM Wind Laptop Cooling Pad to give additional cooling. I have something like that. Dropped GPU and CPU temps by about 6-9c. Lucky me. I can open window to get -17c air into the room. I’ve got a plan to add an extra duct from the incoming air duct to below where my hot kit is located, but let’s c. Opening the window drops temps immediately by a good 15c. 

i don’t think seeing 85-90c is unusual on a GPU running a long session with DCS on a laptop, but with cooling it went don’t to high 70’s.

i do keep a close eye on the temps when I’m flying the laptop with VR. I don’t think it’s doing any good for the laptop in the long run to be up to sauna temperatures, but there it is 

Yeah I have something close to that one with a few fans in it. I’ll look into that one if it blows more air. I bit the bullet and ordered a desktop from CUK/ MSI with a RTX 3090 in it. I’ll see if it runs VR any better or more than the laptop that worth getting it. If it’s not I’ll return it. I thought about building my own but decided to just do a prebuilt with warranty etc! It’s a MSI desktop. I’ve always had good results with MSI in the past. The only problem I’ve ever had is the VR connection to the laptop. Oh btw that port I’ve been trying to get the G2 to run on works fine with the Quest2 VR headset. So really strange that it won’t work with the G2. The nice thing about the desktop is it comes with display port! So I’m hoping this will be good. I’ll let you know! Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Ebphoto said:

Yeah I have something close to that one with a few fans in it. I’ll look into that one if it blows more air. I bit the bullet and ordered a desktop from CUK/ MSI with a RTX 3090 in it. I’ll see if it runs VR any better or more than the laptop that worth getting it. If it’s not I’ll return it. I thought about building my own but decided to just do a prebuilt with warranty etc! It’s a MSI desktop. I’ve always had good results with MSI in the past. The only problem I’ve ever had is the VR connection to the laptop. Oh btw that port I’ve been trying to get the G2 to run on works fine with the Quest2 VR headset. So really strange that it won’t work with the G2. The nice thing about the desktop is it comes with display port! So I’m hoping this will be good. I’ll let you know! Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!

I’m returning some of the help I got here and searching on the net for VR stuff. Happy I could be of assistance. 

now the 3090 is a beast. I’m sitting at about 80% load on FPSvr program but for a few small spikes. Just getting these things to run smooth with DCS and or any other sim, well that’s a challenge. It’s been a real learning curve and I found myself learning by trial an error. Both my own and those of others before me. 

i am thinking the problem is reverb and DCS both. It is a really good headset, but I’m sure there will be better in the future. My wishlist is relatively short. I’m hoping for better VR optimization from software developers and easier and simpler set up process with automatic detection of settings as well as some common standard.

I agree I think the future of VR in general is very promising. I think the headsets will continue to improve, get smaller & cost less. I have a Quest 2 & it’s super easy to setup etc. However, I find the image quality in DCS is somewhat lacking. Fuzzy instruments. I also find it heavy to wear & it bother my forehead after 15 minutes or so of wearing it. The Reverb G2 I can wear for hours without a problem & the image quality is better. Not great but better than the Q2 in my opinion. I’m sure there’s some tweaks or third party software that can help, I just don’t know of any.

im excited to try the desktop machine w the RTX 3090! Even though it’s a prebuilt machine I’m hoping it will be a improvement. I fly laying in the bed propped up with pillows behind me. VR is a little harder to check six & reach some of the switches but the immersion of sitting in the jet or helo is just so cool. I’m a private pilot and I cannot fly anymore due to my back pain & all the meds I’m on now. So VR has really made me feel like I’m flying again. I haven’t tried it in MSFS 2020 because it’s such a huge download etc. but I might try it out on the desktop.

I really do appreciate your help. If you ever fly online or need a wingman, give me a shout & we can hook up! I’d love to try VR online with someone. I can fly much better in VR than Track IR as far as formation etc.

Thanks again.

E

• Like 1