DCS-Bios

byteman59

Beginner here.

I have installed DCS-World and DCS-BIOS on my computer, with default settings. Following the instructions from documentation.

Not seeing this.

_images/dcsconnection.png

This is all i see when i start web internface using Chrome. Not sure what im doing wrong. 

Thanks in advance!

DCS Connection

Installation Path User Profile Path Virtual Cockpit Connection Autostart DCS-BIOS Lua Console

Use the table above to enable or disable DCS-BIOS features for each DCS: World installation.

• Check Virtual Cockpit Connection to hook into Export.lua so DCS-BIOS can receive cockpit data and send commands to DCS.
  • Check Autostart DCS-BIOS if you want to start the DCS-BIOS Hub automatically whenever you start DCS: World.
  • If you are a developer, you may want to check Lua Console. This is a prerequisite to use the Lua Console feature, which is useful when developing Lua scripts for DCS: World.

If your DCS installation is not shown above, you can manually add the following line to your Export.lua to enable the Virtual Cockpit Connection:

BIOS = {}; BIOS.LuaScriptDir = [[C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\]]; BIOS.PluginDir = [[C:\Users\bmarino\AppData\Roaming/DCS-BIOS/Plugins\]]; if lfs.attributes(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[BIOS.lua]]) ~= nil then dofile(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[BIOS.lua]]) end --[[DCS-BIOS Automatic Setup]]

Hi Bateman,

DCS-BIOS is kind of an advanced user’s interface for custom controllers. What is your intention with it? I see you have downloaded DCS World, but what modules do you have running, besides the default Su-25 and T-47?

The DCSBIOS environment is primarily used with peripheral hardware, button boxes, custom setups, flight panels (radio types), reverse engineered authentic avionics and other equipment, as well as other applications and interaction with DCS. So what are your hopes and intentions with this? What controllers do you have?

Does the DCSBIOS Reference app get listed in Chrome Apps? It usually has an icon looks like a very small page with pale green highlights. If it is there, what happens when you click on it? 

Do you have a Saved Games folder created? Are you using DCS Stable version or OpenBeta?

Whole lotta questions from me! If you can give us more information about your plans, current setup, experience with DCS, and what you plan to fly, that will help to give answers.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Trying to wire up a joystick in DCS-Bios to Emergency Trim CENTER - NOSE DN - RWD - NOSE UP - LWD

Code says 

const byte efcpEmerTrimPins[9] = {PIN_0, PIN_1, PIN_2, PIN_3, PIN_4}
DcsBios::SwitchMultiPos efcpEmerTrim("EFCP_EMER_TRIM", efcpEmerTrimPins, 9);

using a https://www.parallax.com/product/2-axis-joystick/

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Edited by byteman59

I reinstalled DSCBIOS all working great now. Sorry for late reply, did not get notified of your posts. Have other question above.

btw, i have started a DIY build of the A10-C cockpit. Doing the learning first and gather up all the information I can. Then place one large order on aliexpress for hte items i need. lol

Focusing on the Left Console first.

Thanks again guys!

On 1/14/2022 at 9:07 PM, byteman59 said:

Trying to wire up a joystick in DCS-Bios to Emergency Trim CENTER - NOSE DN - RWD - NOSE UP - LWD

Code says 

const byte efcpEmerTrimPins[9] = {PIN_0, PIN_1, PIN_2, PIN_3, PIN_4}
DcsBios::SwitchMultiPos efcpEmerTrim("EFCP_EMER_TRIM", efcpEmerTrimPins, 9);

using a https://www.parallax.com/product/2-axis-joystick/

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

This joystick uses 2 x potentiometers. A potentiometer has 3 connections. Ground, 5V and Signal. So you connect the 5V to the 5V on the Arduino, the Signal to an Analog pin, eg A0, and ground to ground.

For DCS-BIOS code, use the potentiometer strings, not the pins.

Edited by molevitch

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Got it, thank you!

After revisiting DCS-BIOS, Emergency flight Control does not seem to use variable pots.

Is there a different type of joystick i should be looking for?

PCflights has one but i think i can make one for less than $70.

https://pcflights.com/navigation-switch-joystick-2-axis-4-ways/

image.png

Edited by byteman59

Hi! If you have acces to a 3d-printer you can print the ministick :

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4543158

Sadly the dcs-bios implementation of this thing is a bit wonky - the 5pos-switch comand does not sense the return to center so you would have to press center for stopping the trim tab to run to max deflection.  My solution was to use a pro micro with mmjoy as a generic joystick device so my left console now has three input ports (tm warthog throttle, emergency trim and rs485 for the rest) but at least it works as intended.

3 hours ago, crash test pilot said:

Sadly the dcs-bios implementation of this thing is a bit wonky - the 5pos-switch comand does not sense the return to center so you would have to press center for stopping the trim tab to run to max deflection.  My solution was to use a pro micro with mmjoy as a generic joystick device so my left console now has three input ports (tm warthog throttle, emergency trim and rs485 for the rest) but at least it works as intended.

Could you not use the Pro Micro to sense the return to centre and send the stop command automatically?

34 minutes ago, byteman59 said:

Is there such thing as a digital 2 axis  joystick board?

Maybe topic should be moved?

Some Bodnar boards have an option for hat switch inputs.

1 hour ago, No1sonuk said:

Could you not use the Pro Micro to sense the return to centre and send the stop command automatically?

Well - thats what mmjoy does. If i set joystick buttons in the control configuration within dcs, it works flawless. The 5pos-switch command in dcs-bios was written for rotary switches and only senses the change from an active input to another active input - so the return to center with no contact is not sensed. If i had the programming abilities to overcome this, i would have done it - sadly being able to solder, glue and paint does not make me a super hacker... I just found an easy way to come around this.

34 minutes ago, crash test pilot said:

Well - thats what mmjoy does. If i set joystick buttons in the control configuration within dcs, it works flawless. The 5pos-switch command in dcs-bios was written for rotary switches and only senses the change from an active input to another active input - so the return to center with no contact is not sensed. If i had the programming abilities to overcome this, i would have done it - sadly being able to solder, glue and paint does not make me a super hacker... I just found an easy way to come around this.

In the joystick library version on the Pro micro, don't you send a "button released" signal?  When you do, also send a pulsed "off" button press.