New to DCS World: Are F-16, F-18, F-14 and A-10 cockpits clickable?

***Waxer***

Hi all, I really enjoyed flying the TF-51D in VR with the clickable cockpit over the las few weeks as a new Reverb G2 user. I was confused when I switched to the SU-25T and found it to be non-clickable. I'm assuming if I want to learn that a/c I have to go flat panel and keyboard (or make keybindings for my HOTAS?

I have searched the marketing materials and the forums, but am not sure whether, or which other cockpits are non-clickable and I 'd like to know before I purchase.

Is there a list of clickable cockpit a/c, or can you tell me via reply in particular for F-16, F-18, F-14 and/or A-10?

Also -- is there a performance or graphics benefit to running VR through Steam with Steam VR? I've noticed the a/c in the ED Store say "Not Steam compatible" and am not sure what that means...and therefore not sure whether to buy from DCS or Steam.

Thanks in advance!

Waxer (formerly with 72ndVFW, and old-time AW and AH dude)

1 hour ago, ***Waxer*** said:

Hi all, I really enjoyed flying the TF-51D in VR with the clickable cockpit over the las few weeks as a new Reverb G2 user. I was confused when I switched to the SU-25T and found it to be non-clickable. I'm assuming if I want to learn that a/c I have to go flat panel and keyboard (or make keybindings for my HOTAS?

I have searched the marketing materials and the forums, but am not sure whether, or which other cockpits are non-clickable and I 'd like to know before I purchase.

Is there a list of clickable cockpit a/c, or can you tell me via reply in particular for F-16, F-18, F-14 and/or A-10?

Also -- is there a performance or graphics benefit to running VR through Steam with Steam VR? I've noticed the a/c in the ED Store say "Not Steam compatible" and am not sure what that means...and therefore not sure whether to buy from DCS or Steam.

Thanks in advance!

All DCS modules except FC-3 (and your submodules A-10A, Su-25A, F-15C, Mig-29A, G, S, Su-27 and Su-33) and Combined Arms, has clickable and Hardcore.

Not Steam compatible has aplicable only to DCS standalond DCS World on ED page.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

vor 55 Minuten schrieb ***Waxer***:

Thanks in advance!

If you use the non-steam version of DCS World, there is a Free-to-play program, where you can test any module for two weeks. This way you can see, if it suits you.

Just visit digitalcombatsimulator.com and try any module before you decide to buy it.

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• BIGNEWY changed the title to New to DCS World: Are F-16, F-18, F-14 and A-10 cockpits clickable?

Here is an almost complete* list and explanation of terms:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/general/

Here, on the forum, you can find the ASM modules beign called rather full fidelity or just clickable (hardcore expression is very rare), while SSM modules are called FC3, as they are part of the Flaming Cliffs 3 pack also sold as standalone modules. There is whole lot of differences deep in the modeling beside just the cockpit interaction.

Note the A-10A - part of the FC3 - is SSM (not clickable), while the A-10C is ASM (full fidelity - clickable). You'll notice the price difference too 🙂

is there a performance or graphics benefit to running VR through Steam with Steam VR?

None that I know of.

You can buy modules from ED store but they will not work for the Steam version - as the note says.

You can buy modules from Steam and they will work with Steam version, but you can also transfer the licenses to the standalone DCS version.

* Mosquito, AH-64D and Mi-24P are also PFM/ASM modules.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

But, better to buy direct from ED, as then they receive all funds. Steam takes a cut off the profits.
(I started out on steam, bought the F-18 there...then as I descended the rabbit hole of A10, F16, Maps...went standalone and bought from ED directly)

• Like 2

As I understand it modules bought on Steam provide a key that can be used in the stand alone version of DCSW. Steam does not honour 3rd party keys so modules bought from the ED store cannot be installed in the Steam version.

I like Steam but in this case I’d install DCS standalone. 

• Like 1